Fournette or Gurley in PPR?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Gurley
82%
Fournette
18%

Total votes: 39

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Who would you take in dynasty now - Fournette or Gurley straight up, no additives? Fournette has his issues, but looks locked into elite opportunity / upside. Gurley's health issues are almost as obvious as his talent.

Still, boil it down to one or the other if you have to hold for at least the upcoming season.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: Fournette or Gurley in PPR?

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Fournette only played 8 games last season and 13 the year before. Gurley played 14 last year and prior to that hadn't missed a game due to injury since his rookie season. Yes Gurley has injury concerns, but I'd argue that Fournette's are as significant (plus some character questions) and Gurley is the superior talent. If you're someone who is concerned about Gurley's injury risk, then selling low for Fournette makes absolutely no sense.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 am

I would still gamble on Gurley. There is hope for him to stay healthy whereas Fournette has missed a lot of time already in his young career. Gurley has also shown to be elite while Fournette has not.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 am

hoos89 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm Fournette only played 8 games last season and 13 the year before. Gurley played 14 last year and prior to that hadn't missed a game due to injury since his rookie season. Yes Gurley has injury concerns, but I'd argue that Fournette's are as significant (plus some character questions) and Gurley is the superior talent. If you're someone who is concerned about Gurley's injury risk, then selling low for Fournette makes absolutely no sense.
Unless you believe this time next year Lenny's higher than Gurley. Here's one scenario that could happen:
1. Lenny returns to 2017 form this year or even close to it. Stays reasonably healthy.
2. Gurley's workload is lightened up more than people think. Seems obvious that even if he manages to avoid a knee-peat (see what I did there?) most of the season, the Rams will fade him in the regular season to preserve him for the post season.

Dynasty is about the present and future (maybe more so?). Gurley's arrow is clearly pointing down. The question is how far does he drop before stabilizing or even turning around?

Either way,

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am

pvillebiker wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 am
hoos89 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm Fournette only played 8 games last season and 13 the year before. Gurley played 14 last year and prior to that hadn't missed a game due to injury since his rookie season. Yes Gurley has injury concerns, but I'd argue that Fournette's are as significant (plus some character questions) and Gurley is the superior talent. If you're someone who is concerned about Gurley's injury risk, then selling low for Fournette makes absolutely no sense.
Unless you believe this time next year Lenny's higher than Gurley. Here's one scenario that could happen:
1. Lenny returns to 2017 form this year or even close to it. Stays reasonably healthy.
2. Gurley's workload is lightened up more than people think. Seems obvious that even if he manages to avoid a knee-peat (see what I did there?) most of the season, the Rams will fade him in the regular season to preserve him for the post season.

Dynasty is about the present and future (maybe more so?). Gurley's arrow is clearly pointing down. The question is how far does he drop before stabilizing or even turning around?

Either way,
This is pure speculation. You're trading one player with injury concerns for another player with injury concerns who is currently significantly less valuable. What if Gurley's workload is cut less than we think, he plays all 15 games during the fantasy season and Fournette continues to have hamstring issues? If you're trying to offload injury risk, then why would you want Fournette? And if Gurley's arrow is pointing down, where is Fournette's pointing? Also...Fournette only averaged 3.9 YPC in 2017. That's not great....I don't want to sell Gurley for a guy with significant injury concerns whom I'm hoping will develop into an inefficient volume play.

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm

hoos89 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am
pvillebiker wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 am

Either way,
This is pure speculation. You're trading one player with injury concerns for another player with injury concerns who is currently significantly less valuable. What if Gurley's workload is cut less than we think, he plays all 15 games during the fantasy season and Fournette continues to have hamstring issues? If you're trying to offload injury risk, then why would you want Fournette? And if Gurley's arrow is pointing down, where is Fournette's pointing? Also...Fournette only averaged 3.9 YPC in 2017. That's not great....I don't want to sell Gurley for a guy with significant injury concerns whom I'm hoping will develop into an inefficient volume play.
Fair enough, but not sure I'd call it pure speculation. We're supposed to look forward and consider potentially likely outcomes in dynasty aren't we? If you're looking at the typical 3-year dynasty window, objectively, Gurley's arrow is pointing down. This time last year he was the #1 overall dynasty asset and he's had a steady slide. Now he's in the 2nd round. Is he done dropping? Wouldn't take much more news about his knee or Hendy flashing to drop more over the summer. Kidding yourself if you don't acknowledge that. Maybe it's overdone and it's a buying opp. Very well could be.

Fournette's arrow is pointing up, largely because he's dropped so much from last year and it's becoming obvious that he is expected to reprise his role as the bell cow. A simple repeat of his 1st year production (as inefficient as it was) will move him up a good bit. Will he catch or pass Gurley in season? I think he could if a few things play out in his favor. Then again if he has another year like last year, he'll resume his drop. Speculation or looking ahead? Player arrows for dynasty are relative to their own value and history. Most still have Fournette valued lots less than Gurley.

All players ebb & flow. Key is identifying the inflection points. Are we at one with these two now? Maybe, maybe not, but it feels like we could be approaching one. But to act like Gurley is some supreme being locked into RB1 value for the next 3 years after all we've learned about his knee / injury and RB help the Rams have acquired does not seem to fully consider the likely decline in his production and fantasty value.

BTW - hasn't Lenny already "developed" into this, i.e. his freshman NFL year?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Is this really where it's at now? Gurley by a mile. Despite Gurley's concerns, Fournette has equal concerns when it come to chronic injuries. Gurley is by far the more talented player. I am more worried about Fournette's issues than Gurley, when it comes to injuries, and off the field stuff, or discipline stuff. Gurley is also in the much better situation.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ironmagz
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ironmagz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:25 am

Gurley will still be top 5 this year.

His knee condition is managable and to manage it is to give him closer to 20 touches per game instead of 25 or more touches per game. He will still be very efficient and do better than most.

Henderson was drafted to better spell Gurley without drop-off compared to what they already had on the roster.

I own both in my main league for whatever that is worth.
10 Team - 12 player keeper - Half point PPR - Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF and (1) FLEX RB/WR/TE
22 man roster (24 w/IR); 6pt all TD's; 4pt bonus for the following @ 300yds pass, 100yds rush, 100yds rec, 60yds receiving TE's.

My roster: bold indicates my intended keepers so far
Wentz, Rivers, Luck
Chubb, Gurley, Mixon, D.Montgomery, Mostert, M.Sanders
Kennan Allen, Corey Davis, M.Evans, M.Hardman, Diontae Johnson, C.Kirk, Hunter Renfrow, Preston Williams
Evan Engram, Njoku, Higbee
Succop
Browns D

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 am

I'm pretty shocked Fournette has 5 votes.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm
Fair enough, but not sure I'd call it pure speculation. We're supposed to look forward and consider potentially likely outcomes in dynasty aren't we? If you're looking at the typical 3-year dynasty window, objectively, Gurley's arrow is pointing down. This time last year he was the #1 overall dynasty asset and he's had a steady slide. Now he's in the 2nd round. Is he done dropping? Wouldn't take much more news about his knee or Hendy flashing to drop more over the summer. Kidding yourself if you don't acknowledge that. Maybe it's overdone and it's a buying opp. Very well could be.

Fournette's arrow is pointing up, largely because he's dropped so much from last year and it's becoming obvious that he is expected to reprise his role as the bell cow. A simple repeat of his 1st year production (as inefficient as it was) will move him up a good bit. Will he catch or pass Gurley in season? I think he could if a few things play out in his favor. Then again if he has another year like last year, he'll resume his drop. Speculation or looking ahead? Player arrows for dynasty are relative to their own value and history. Most still have Fournette valued lots less than Gurley.

All players ebb & flow. Key is identifying the inflection points. Are we at one with these two now? Maybe, maybe not, but it feels like we could be approaching one. But to act like Gurley is some supreme being locked into RB1 value for the next 3 years after all we've learned about his knee / injury and RB help the Rams have acquired does not seem to fully consider the likely decline in his production and fantasty value.

BTW - hasn't Lenny already "developed" into this, i.e. his freshman NFL year?
Okay, but the whole purpose of trying to predict the future is to attempt to extract surplus value in the event your predictions are correct. Doing straight up swaps where you're selling the player who is currently valued materially higher is a great way to hemorrhage value in the long run.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper