Hakeem Butler....change my mind

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Hakeem Butler....change my mind

Postby Shankopotamus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:23 pm

I personally feel like he has the highest ceiling in the Wr class, and could be the next Julio if he improves his route running.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Hakeem Butler....change my mind

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:36 pm

I think he could be a dominant player as well if he improves his routes and things fall right. Lots of ifs but he has the physical tools.

diehard4life
Rookie
Rookie

Postby diehard4life » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 am

Matt Waldman:

1. Hakeem Butler, Iowa State (6-5, 227)
Depth of Talent Score: 93.9 = Franchise Starter:
Immediate production and leadership anchor.

This is the highest grade the RSP has ever awarded a receiver since it began using Depth of Talent Scoring. Based on the excitement surrounding D.K. Metcalf and the optics that Butler drops the ball too much, ranking Butler as the top-rated receiver may be a a polarizing pick. The logic behind the decision is based on the results of the RSP’s process.
Philosophy: a high ceiling is better than a high floor.

Relative dynasty newcomer, but six time league champion in other formats (despite a 10 year hiatus), most proud of the 2018 NFFL (16-team, TD only, 30th anniversary) League Championship.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Why did it take him 4 years to emerge at Iowa St. ?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:03 am

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm Why did it take him 4 years to emerge at Iowa St. ?
Matt Kelley, is that you? :lol:

I think the fact Waldman has given his highest grade ever to Butler is an indication of why he doesn't work for an NFL front office. If Butler turns into Julio, I take it back.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:40 am

I can't speak to that, and I know the importance of Breakout age and dominator score.

On that topic, I really think N'Keal Harry who has a shining BA and DS will bust.

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
K-Tyler Bass

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:32 pm

He needs to ditch those concrete slabs he calls hands if he wants to even be mentioned favorably in the same sentence as Julio

cougarplayer20
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby cougarplayer20 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:03 am
IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm Why did it take him 4 years to emerge at Iowa St. ?
Matt Kelley, is that you? :lol:

I think the fact Waldman has given his highest grade ever to Butler is an indication of why he doesn't work for an NFL front office. If Butler turns into Julio, I take it back.
This. I don’t know much about Waldman or his “process” but him ranking Butler the highest receiver makes me not want to know much about him.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 am

There's something in the water where this guy was being considered a top WR pick and then he plummets into the 4th round...why did so many teams pass on him? Analytics-driven and old school football teams alike?

Now he goes to AZ where you've got Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella...IF the Cardinals are able to become a high-octane offense...maybe Butler becomes relevant but man, what a fall.

This guy will be an intriguing one to watch because you have the analytics crowd who've said that Butler's late ascension is a big concern...while tape grinders like Waldman are in love.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Servo wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 am There's something in the water where this guy was being considered a top WR pick and then he plummets into the 4th round...why did so many teams pass on him? Analytics-driven and old school football teams alike?

Now he goes to AZ where you've got Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella...IF the Cardinals are able to become a high-octane offense...maybe Butler becomes relevant but man, what a fall.

This guy will be an intriguing one to watch because you have the analytics crowd who've said that Butler's late ascension is a big concern...while tape grinders like Waldman are in love.
The NFL evaluators are the biggest tape grinders alive and they didn't think he was anything special.

Maybe he proves everyone wrong, but I have a pretty obvious reason why people like Waldman fell in love with the guy. Optics, Confirmation and vividness bias. Butler does things that most receivers could only dream of and these optics color their interpretation of his film. This leads them to maximize his talents and minimize his flaws. This works heavily in the favor of a physical specimen like Hakeem Butler.. but is it predictive of NFL success? Probably not, which is why he fell to the 4th round.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Really cooled on this guy after watching every snap of film I could find.

Concentration drops galore, over celebrates every catch, low effort blocking.

He's got talent, but it's not superstar talent. This draft class really doesn't have any no-brainers 1.01's.

K-Tyler Bass

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 pm

Julio was a top 5 pick and came out as a 21 year old Junior, Hakeem Butler is playing his first year at 23 years old. Sort of like the Amari Cooper vs Kevin White debate on age for me. Breakout age is young for Julio and old for Butler.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:56 pm

Hakeem Butler is no Julio Jones and will never even come close. There were times he did look dominate and unstoppable but for the most part he looked slow, uncoordinated, and totally lost. It's very concerning that it took him until his 4th year at Iowa State to really breakout. There are just too many better receivers in the desert for Butler to make an impact any time soon. I'd give him as much of a chance as Kevin White.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates