Myles Sanders vs David Montgomery

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Re: Myles Sanders vs David Montgomery

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm

mgscott wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm I think it's just as likely that Montgomery has to beat out M Davis and get acclimated to the NFL and his team as Sanders having these obstacles. They both have solid veterans just acquired by their teams, so the may not start out right away as a lead back. It's basically written in stone that Cohen will be used frequently, so that will definitely limit Montgomery's value. Sanders at least has the chance of being the 3 down back early and running with it.
I don't see Davis as being anything special at all. He was a back-up plan, IMO.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Mr. Wizard
Starter
Starter

Postby Mr. Wizard » Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm
mgscott wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm I think it's just as likely that Montgomery has to beat out M Davis and get acclimated to the NFL and his team as Sanders having these obstacles. They both have solid veterans just acquired by their teams, so the may not start out right away as a lead back. It's basically written in stone that Cohen will be used frequently, so that will definitely limit Montgomery's value. Sanders at least has the chance of being the 3 down back early and running with it.
This part I agree with. I think Davis is a guy they liked a little more than Howard (which again, should tell you something about this debate of how much Howard is going to impact Sanders) and someone they would've been comfortable enough "making it work" with if their draft plans fell through.
12 Team RealitySportsOnline League, Half-PPR, TEP, Half-PPFD

1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SFX **Years under contract in parentheses. Two extensions and one franchise tag available per year.**

QB: Mahomes (2), Burrow (2), Young (3)
HB: Saquon (3), Gibbs (4), Henry (1), Hunt (1), Mattison (1)
WR: Chase (3), Tyreek (4), Kupp (3), Aiyuk (4), Pierce (2)
TE: Kelce (2), Njoku (1)
IR:
Future Picks: 24 2nd, 3rd, 4th: 25 4th: 26 2nd, 3rd, 4th
--
12 Team Dynasty League, Half-PPR
1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1 SFX

QB: Hurts, Prescott, Geno,
HB: Bijan, Taylor, Conner, Gibson, B. Robinson, Herbert, Achane, Miller, Damien Harris,
WR: AJB, Allen, Jeudy, Nuk, Cooks, Davis, Claypool, Shakir
TE: Goedert, Knox, Dulcich, Otton
IR:
Future Picks: 1.06, 2.06, 3.05

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 pm

Blackstar110 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm
This part I agree with. I think Davis is a guy they liked a little more than Howard (which again, should tell you something about this debate of how much Howard is going to impact Sanders) and someone they would've been comfortable enough "making it work" with if their draft plans fell through.
This is kind of my point. Davis is potentially better than Howard, so how could he not be just as much of a roadblock for Montgomery as Howard is for Sanders. And for the record, I don't believe Montgomery is anything special. I see Davis as a better RB, but he unfortunately now has less investment from the Bears than Montgomery.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat May 04, 2019 5:59 am

Mike Davis is not better than Howard. Davis has been in the league for 4 years and this is his third team. He has a career (CAREER) total of 850 rushing yards, despite playing for the rush-heavy 49ers and rush-heavy Seahawks. He had 4.6 speed when he was a college junior, and now he's 27 going on 28. He has a career YPC of 3.7.

Monty is the sure fire #1 guy. Davis is the backup. No splitting of carries, not close.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat May 04, 2019 6:39 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:59 am Mike Davis is not better than Howard. Davis has been in the league for 4 years and this is his third team. He has a career (CAREER) total of 850 rushing yards, despite playing for the rush-heavy 49ers and rush-heavy Seahawks. He had 4.6 speed when he was a college junior, and now he's 27 going on 28. He has a career YPC of 3.7.

Monty is the sure fire #1 guy. Davis is the backup. No splitting of carries, not close.
Pretty hard to argue either side of that coin. Howard was better on the front side given production but his burst is below average compared to his power. He hasn’t ever developed in the passing game and the very real decline in production is evident.

He is a decent backup and most likely acquired as every team desires a quality back up at the position.

Both Davis and Howard can serve a valuable asset to spell their starter but neither really has the game breaking juice to be a dominate player this stage.

I could see Montgomery outpointing Sanders this year given TD’s inside the 5 but he just doesn’t look all that close to Sanders who not only flashes much better RB skill set on tape but also tests out better without the pads on.

Not surprised both were drafted where they were but in Dynasty I just don’t believe that they are really close although both should have solid careers.

Obviously, offensive line play and system will come into play but Sanders imo will be much better in the passing game due to burst in space and looks to have better wiggle and burst through the hole.

As a Cowboy fan I wish those two players swapped teams personally.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am

I like both Sanders and Montgomery a lot, and in the right OFF both will do well. I expect them both to succeed. I just don't think Davis is anything other than depth, and believe the Bears traded up to get Montgomery, so he will start. Sanders was taking in the 2nd, it's going to be his team in time, for sure. I just think Howard will start as the man, but quickly lose it as Sanders acclimates. I could be totally wrong. Should be exciting to watch. I'd draft either guy early.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat May 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Just to clarify, I think both Sanders and Montgomery will start early. I think both Howard and Davis are under-rated backs and would be solid if not very good if given the starting job. I do believe that due to draft capital, Sanders and Montgomery will be basically handed the jobs. I believe in Sanders talent and like his situation better. I do not believe in Montgomery's talent and don't like his situation as much. I would easily take Sanders over Montgomery.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm

mgscott wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:35 pm Just to clarify, I think both Sanders and Montgomery will start early. I think both Howard and Davis are under-rated backs and would be solid if not very good if given the starting job. I do believe that due to draft capital, Sanders and Montgomery will be basically handed the jobs. I believe in Sanders talent and like his situation better. I do not believe in Montgomery's talent and don't like his situation as much. I would easily take Sanders over Montgomery.
I don't think Sanders will be handed the job. But he was a 2nd round pick. I think Howard is the man, but Sanders will take it from him sooner than later. This year, next year, not sure. I do think Montgomery will start, as Cohen has always been a supplemental back, even if he was the #11 RB in PPR leagues last year. Long-term, I do like Sanders more.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat May 04, 2019 4:24 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm
mgscott wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:35 pm Just to clarify, I think both Sanders and Montgomery will start early. I think both Howard and Davis are under-rated backs and would be solid if not very good if given the starting job. I do believe that due to draft capital, Sanders and Montgomery will be basically handed the jobs. I believe in Sanders talent and like his situation better. I do not believe in Montgomery's talent and don't like his situation as much. I would easily take Sanders over Montgomery.
I don't think Sanders will be handed the job. But he was a 2nd round pick. I think Howard is the man, but Sanders will take it from him sooner than later. This year, next year, not sure. I do think Montgomery will start, as Cohen has always been a supplemental back, even if he was the #11 RB in PPR leagues last year. Long-term, I do like Sanders more.
Exactly why is Howard the Man? He sure wasn’t in Chicago last year, in fact they were so enamored with him they moved him for a dart throw draft pick next year. Also, that pick could flex into a 5th which I doubt the Eagles really want to pay for a 1 year rental.

Just being an X Bear doesn’t make you the man.

Just saying.....
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat May 04, 2019 6:26 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm I think Howard is the man, but Sanders will take it from him sooner than later. This year, next year, not sure.
You keep responding as if Howard will re-sign with the Eagles. Do you have any insight or opinion on why he might?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Ice wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:24 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm
Exactly why is Howard the Man? He sure wasn’t in Chicago last year, in fact they were so enamored with him they moved him for a dart throw draft pick next year. Also, that pick could flex into a 5th which I doubt the Eagles really want to pay for a 1 year rental.

Just being an X Bear doesn’t make you the man.

Just saying.....
Howard didn't fit the new offense with Nagy. I mean, he was taken in the 5th round. BUT he had great years, the first two years in the NFL. I think Sanders will take a little while to get acclimated to the NFL. It's just my projections. I mean, that's all we're ALL doing. Davis has NEVER done anything, as far as I know. Howard had 1,300 yards rushing 1st year, 1,100 2nd year.

I could be totally wrong. These are just my educated guesses.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:26 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm I think Howard is the man, but Sanders will take it from him sooner than later. This year, next year, not sure.
You keep responding as if Howard will re-sign with the Eagles. Do you have any insight or opinion on why he might?
That I do not. But I think for the price they keep him.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 am

Taken from the Shark pool:
Some data on RBBC: over Doug Pederson's 3 seasons, in their average game Philly's highest-workload RB got the ball 15.3 times (that's the number of carries+targets for the RB who had the most carries+targets that game). Here's how that compares with some other teams (I had to go one team at a time on PFR to get these numbers, so I only looked at the east divisions):

24.5 Dallas
20.0 Buffalo
18.9 NY Giants
18.4 NY Jets
18.4 Miami
18.1 New England
18.0 Washington
15.3 Philadelphia
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/t ... es/page/6/

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon May 06, 2019 11:35 am

zeeshan2 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 am Taken from the Shark pool:
Some data on RBBC: over Doug Pederson's 3 seasons, in their average game Philly's highest-workload RB got the ball 15.3 times (that's the number of carries+targets for the RB who had the most carries+targets that game). Here's how that compares with some other teams (I had to go one team at a time on PFR to get these numbers, so I only looked at the east divisions):

24.5 Dallas
20.0 Buffalo
18.9 NY Giants
18.4 NY Jets
18.4 Miami
18.1 New England
18.0 Washington
15.3 Philadelphia
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/t ... es/page/6/
This doesn't surprise me. They didn't have a running game.

The same arguments were made about Kerryon Johnson too, but then he goes out and has Detroits first 100 yard game in 5 years or something, despite sharing duties and never being the starter.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:43 pm

No One knows who is going to end up being the best back. I remember in 2008 (??) when McFadden and Matt Forte came into the league and I told everyone then Forte will do more than any RB in that class and I was essentially told i was full of Bull P&&P--. Flash Forward 10 years and well guess what--.. That being said when the Bears signed Davis and traded Howard--I absolutely knew for a 100% fact that the Bears were drafting an RB with their first pick (the third rounder). They simply weren't going into September with an average back like Davis. Is Sanders better than Montgomery? Is Montgomery better than Sanders? Only time will tell. But in my opinion I think Montgomery is a better back and I prefer Montgomery. In addition Chicago will in all likelihood give more touches to Montgomery than Philly will give Sanders--it's just the difference in RB philosophy between the 2 teams--