Myles Sanders vs David Montgomery

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Bighurt35
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Myles Sanders vs David Montgomery

Postby Bighurt35 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Just took Montgomery at 1.2 in my draft. Sanders went 1.4

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I prefer Montgomery.
Sanders is more athletic and I am a sucker for athletic guys normally.
Montgomery isn't the athlete but I am more impressed with how smooth he is. He doesn't seem to lose speed through his cuts and has great balance from what I saw.

Anyway it is an interesting discussion and be cool to see it all unfold over the next few years
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 07, 2019 6:48 pm

maxhyde wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm I prefer Montgomery.
Sanders is more athletic and I am a sucker for athletic guys normally.
Montgomery isn't the athlete but I am more impressed with how smooth he is. He doesn't seem to lose speed through his cuts and has great balance from what I saw.

Anyway it is an interesting discussion and be cool to see it all unfold over the next few years
One of the better comments I have read on Montgomery.

Thinking back, the same could have been said about Forte although his style was different.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Mr. Wizard
Starter
Starter

Postby Mr. Wizard » Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Obviously it's still the time of year where everything is fluff, but the early returns at rookie minicamp for Montgomery were really nice. Multiple beat reporters (including some normally fairly surly ones) commented on him looking like a player, he had a deep 50-yard diving sideline catch, and a couple other random players gave him props too when asked who looked good out there.

Doesn't mean much but hey, it's somethin'.
12 Team RealitySportsOnline League, Half-PPR, TEP, Half-PPFD

1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SFX **Years under contract in parentheses. Two extensions and one franchise tag available per year.**

QB: Mahomes (2), Burrow (2), Young (3)
HB: Saquon (3), Gibbs (4), Henry (1), Hunt (1), Mattison (1)
WR: Chase (3), Tyreek (4), Kupp (3), Aiyuk (4), Pierce (2)
TE: Kelce (2), Njoku (1)
IR:
Future Picks: 24 2nd, 3rd, 4th: 25 4th: 26 2nd, 3rd, 4th
--
12 Team Dynasty League, Half-PPR
1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1 SFX

QB: Hurts, Prescott, Geno,
HB: Bijan, Taylor, Conner, Gibson, B. Robinson, Herbert, Achane, Miller, Damien Harris,
WR: AJB, Allen, Jeudy, Nuk, Cooks, Davis, Claypool, Shakir
TE: Goedert, Knox, Dulcich, Otton
IR:
Future Picks: 1.06, 2.06, 3.05

Ghost Of Kevin White
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Ghost Of Kevin White » Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm

I own the 1.02 pick in this year's draft, and need some help with RB depth. If you had Jordan Howard already, and owned the 1.02 pick (assuming Jacobs is already gone at 1.01), would you say I almost have to take Sanders instead of Montgomery? Thanks.
2019 Champ, 2020 2nd Place

2023 1.01 Pick

16 Team - 30 Man Roster PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|1Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB)
QB: P. Mahomes, Tua
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, I. Pacheco, J. Wilson
WR: DJ Moore, T. McLaurin, C. Godwin, C. Olave, C. Ridley
TE: K. Pitts, T. Hockenson
K: Koo
DL: S. Hubbard, K. Paye, M. Davenport, J. Sweat
LB: M. Parsons, Z. Collins, D. Lloyd, Q. Walker, JOK
DB: J. Adams, K. Curl, R.Grant, J. Brisker

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Ghost Of Kevin White wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pmI own the 1.02 pick in this year's draft, and need some help with RB depth. If you had Jordan Howard already, and owned the 1.02 pick (assuming Jacobs is already gone at 1.01), would you say I almost have to take Sanders instead of Montgomery? Thanks.
I'm a Sanders supporter and I firmly believe Sanders > Montgomery, but I wouldn't say that you have to be locked in on Sanders simply because you own Howard. (1) Take the guy you like and (2) Always remember this is a game, so have fun with it.

I owned Peyton Barber in a league last year, and when faced with the decision to draft RoJo or Kerryon, I chose Kerryon. Worked out great.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Ghost Of Kevin White wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm I own the 1.02 pick in this year's draft, and need some help with RB depth. If you had Jordan Howard already, and owned the 1.02 pick (assuming Jacobs is already gone at 1.01), would you say I almost have to take Sanders instead of Montgomery? Thanks.
I'd take Sanders, yes.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

#5willalwaysloveyou
Role Player
Role Player

Postby #5willalwaysloveyou » Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Ghost Of Kevin White wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm I own the 1.02 pick in this year's draft, and need some help with RB depth. If you had Jordan Howard already, and owned the 1.02 pick (assuming Jacobs is already gone at 1.01), would you say I almost have to take Sanders instead of Montgomery? Thanks.
I took Sanders at 1.02 and don’t own Howard
12 team ppr 1qb

QB: Josh Allen

RB:miles Sanders,Damien Harris, JK Dobbins, gallaman, ty Johnson, gus Edwards, alex collins, Larry rountree, Tyson williams

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Devante Adams, Kenny golladay, Tyler Lockett, Michael Thomas, n’keal harry, jakobi Meyers, van jefferson

TE: George kittle, Jonnu Smith, Kyle pitts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 pm

After watching tape of both of these guys - I can get the allure of taking Montgomery over Sanders.
I don't think either guy is a sure thing though, which just again highlights the questionable nature of this RB class.

Sanders is certainly the better athlete, but Montgomery might be the actual better running back (albeit, not by a ton).

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 am

Phaded wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 pm After watching tape of both of these guys - I can get the allure of taking Montgomery over Sanders.
I don't think either guy is a sure thing though, which just again highlights the questionable nature of this RB class.

Sanders is certainly the better athlete, but Montgomery might be the actual better running back (albeit, not by a ton).
PFF mentioned in their draft guide that Montgomery forced more than 99 missed tackles, in 2 separate seasons. Sanders did half of that in 1 season (47).

Looking across other sites rankings, MFL-draft data, experts rankings it is a toss up between Sanders and Montgomery.
This post seems like Sanders should be the clear choice, however that sentiment could have been highly influenced by DLF_mikes rankings/post.

I'm sitting at 1.03 in my main league and are absolutely torn.
Pre NFL-draft I would be over the moon to land AJ Brown there - however situation in TEN (and I have Corey already), makes me wanna go RB instead.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 am

You're not going to go wrong either way. Montgomery will easily do better year 1. I think beyond that Sanders will do better.

Sanders RB1, and Mont will be RB1/2 boderline I think with Cohen being an integral part of that offense.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am

trc wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 am
PFF mentioned in their draft guide that Montgomery forced more than 99 missed tackles, in 2 separate seasons. Sanders did half of that in 1 season (47).
Looking at forced missed tackles is a double edged sword. This could also mean he isn't very illusive and has poor burst/speed which allows defenders to get closer to him.

I'm pretty sure this stat doesn't count a forced missed tackle if the defender never touches the player. So if the RB straight up outruns the defender or jukes him out to the point he is never touched, there is no forced missed tackle.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am

IBall2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am
trc wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 am
Looking at forced missed tackles is a double edged sword. This could also mean he isn't very illusive and has poor burst/speed which allows defenders to get closer to him.

I'm pretty sure this stat doesn't count a forced missed tackle if the defender never touches the player. So if the RB straight up outruns the defender or jukes him out to the point he is never touched, there is no forced missed tackle.
Forced missed tackles can be a subjective stat in my mind. Also Montgomery racked up his "missed tackles" against mostly Big 12 and FCS or below FCS defenses.

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:46 pm

I just picked Sanders over Montgomery in my rookie draft. To be honest, it was such a hard decision, it came down to dlf_mikeh's confidence in Sanders. Without a doubt, after doing some research in the league that dlf_mikeh posted where he drafted Sanders at the 1.01, he knows his RBs, not too good on WRs/TEs, lol, which I believe he has admitted on earlier postings.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu May 09, 2019 4:30 pm

usps33 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:46 pm I just picked Sanders over Montgomery in my rookie draft. To be honest, it was such a hard decision, it came down to dlf_mikeh's confidence in Sanders. Without a doubt, after doing some research in the league that dlf_mikeh posted where he drafted Sanders at the 1.01, he knows his RBs, not too good on WRs/TEs, lol, which I believe he has admitted on earlier postings.
Hi meurah, didn't realize you had alt accounts.