Contract strategy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
tsarpepe
MVP
MVP

Contract strategy

Postby tsarpepe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Imagine that you won some players cheaply in your league's auction. These are obviously not superstars, but could end up being pretty serviceable down the road. What is your approach? Do you like to lock up these unknowns on long contracts given the low cost?

In our recent auction, I got Renfrow for $6 and Jakobi Meyers for $1. Our cap is $1000, so we're talking about 0.6% and 0.1% here. Neither of them has done much, but both guys are young and will be around for a while. Will you give them the max contract (6 years in our league)? We have no limit on how many max contracts we give, but there is a cap on the total # of years for each team (120 years worth of contracts for a 50-man roster, which includes IDPs).

Would love to hear how people strategize with contract $ vs. length.

TheBelgian
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Contract strategy

Postby TheBelgian » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:45 pm

How many teams in the league and what is the starting lineup requirements?
If this is a 10 team league with small starting requirements then these type of players are not worth a lot.
If this is a 32 team 1 copy league with big rosters then these players are worth a lot at the price you got them.

tsarpepe
MVP
MVP

Postby tsarpepe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:40 pm

12-team league, 20 starters (10 on offense, 10 on defense). 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (RB, WR, TE), 1SF, 1K

TheBelgian
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TheBelgian » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Alright, so your league is starting 36-48 WRs. I could see these players having good value then.
Personally, I like Renfrow and I wouldn’t be afraid to give 3-4 years to him. With Meyers, I would think that 2-3 years would be safe. I’m just not sure what to make of the Patriots depth at WR. A handful of players could produce for that team at WR. Anyways, both players are super cheap and giving them 2-4 years would make them good trade pieces if they broke out.

Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vectorgod » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm

For me it depends on the cap penalty if I cut these players. In the league I commish, the cap penalty is 20% of the salary multiplied by the number of years remaining on the contract. Anytime I pick up young depth guys at very low auction prices I will throw multiple years on them. As prices get higher you have to be more careful about going long-term on speculative players.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:21 am

Vectorgod wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm For me it depends on the cap penalty if I cut these players. In the league I commish, the cap penalty is 20% of the salary multiplied by the number of years remaining on the contract. Anytime I pick up young depth guys at very low auction prices I will throw multiple years on them. As prices get higher you have to be more careful about going long-term on speculative players.
Wow, your cap penalties are low imo
Mine are 50% by # of years, in the OP's I could also see the penalty being cap years. To which I would think is more dangerous as their years cap is so low.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Peach
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Peach » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 am

I think it depends on contract penalties. In my league it is 50% per year for the remainder of the contract apart from $1 guys who have no penalty on a drop. I’m always happy to take shots on guys and lock up cheap players for long term deals in that one so my $1 ones are 5yrs and I might do 3 years for Renfrow in this situation.