How to Prepare for Auction Start Up

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: How to Prepare for Auction Start Up

Postby zdhaugen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am It is really difficult to prepare for because of the wide spectrum of owner behavior. There will be 2-3 owners with the same conservative, strategy, and 2-3 owners who change their strategy after a few signings, and 2-3 owners who blow their budget with 3-4 signings. I like to create a spreadsheet based on my player values/rankings/tiers, and then assign a dollar range for them. I would anticipate 25-30% for some of the studs like Barkley/Beckham/Gurley. I would choose a strategy and try my best to execute it. There will be insane value throughout the entire auction, early, mid and late. If the first player nominated is Barkley he will go for an insane amount of money, and then 5 players later you might get Gurley/Zeke for 25% less. I find auctions are a great way to easily come out a contender but also a nice balanced roster, because there will be very productive veterans that you can nab at huge discounts, and then you can also get quality 2nd/3rd round rookies super late for minimum wage basically.

My favorite part of auctions of course is that you can essentially own any player you want.
This is really helpful and has me excited for the draft. Two questions: 1. Do you generally prefer to spend big on a true stud like odell, Hopkins, Saquon Zeke, or Get next tier like Mixon Juju etc...assuming prices are right around Average Auction Value. 2. Do you keep track of every other teams moves to see what they still need and their max bid or is that too much to handle during the draft? Thanks.
Team 1: Single qb tiered ppr league 22 man base roster plus 2 taxi squad spots and 2 IR spots; 2 flex:
Qb: B. Mayfield, J. Goff, J. Winston
Rb: J. Mixon, CEH, J.K. Dobbins, K. Hunt, K. Johnson, G. Bernard, G. Edwards, L. Bowden
Wr: Aj Brown, O. Beckham, C. Kupp, C. Sutton, J. Reagor, T. Higgins, M. Pittman
TE: D. Goedert, Jonnu Smith, Mike Gesicki, OJ Howard, H. Bryant, C. Herndon
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2: SF/TE Premium PPR league 22 man roster start 2 rb, 2 wr, 2 flex (not including SF spot):
Qb: Fields, Lance, M. Jones, J. Goff
Rb: J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, T. Etienne, D. Henderson, D. Evans, J. White, J. Doaks
Wr: DJ Moore, Juju, Sutton, R. Bateman, E. Moore, B. Edwards, J. Meyers, B. Perriman
TE: M. Andrews, A. Trautman, G. Everett
2021: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby zdhaugen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 am
With that in mind, I'm a believer in KISS (keep it simple, stupid). That gives three options.

If there are a couple or some players that you simply really, really want, then get them regardless of price. Then value purchase the rest of the way.

If you're looking for value, then, as others noted, put all your values for players on a spreadsheet and then bid on anyone and everyone up until they get to about 85% of your value. Then stop. At the end, you'll have a team worth about 20% more in value than any other team.

The third option is simply to go with the flow. Make your spreadsheet but then observe. Did the first four RBs go for much more than you expected? Punt RBs and start grabbing WRs. Are the RBs going for cheap? Then load up -- and keep getting them until the market corrects.

Of course, enjoy!!
[/quote]

So when you go with the first option, what does that generally look like. Are we talking like 60% of budget on first 3 guys? Thanks for the advice.
Team 1: Single qb tiered ppr league 22 man base roster plus 2 taxi squad spots and 2 IR spots; 2 flex:
Qb: B. Mayfield, J. Goff, J. Winston
Rb: J. Mixon, CEH, J.K. Dobbins, K. Hunt, K. Johnson, G. Bernard, G. Edwards, L. Bowden
Wr: Aj Brown, O. Beckham, C. Kupp, C. Sutton, J. Reagor, T. Higgins, M. Pittman
TE: D. Goedert, Jonnu Smith, Mike Gesicki, OJ Howard, H. Bryant, C. Herndon
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2: SF/TE Premium PPR league 22 man roster start 2 rb, 2 wr, 2 flex (not including SF spot):
Qb: Fields, Lance, M. Jones, J. Goff
Rb: J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, T. Etienne, D. Henderson, D. Evans, J. White, J. Doaks
Wr: DJ Moore, Juju, Sutton, R. Bateman, E. Moore, B. Edwards, J. Meyers, B. Perriman
TE: M. Andrews, A. Trautman, G. Everett
2021: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:03 pm

zdhaugen wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 pm
moishetreats wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 am
With that in mind, I'm a believer in KISS (keep it simple, stupid). That gives three options.

If there are a couple or some players that you simply really, really want, then get them regardless of price. Then value purchase the rest of the way.

If you're looking for value, then, as others noted, put all your values for players on a spreadsheet and then bid on anyone and everyone up until they get to about 85% of your value. Then stop. At the end, you'll have a team worth about 20% more in value than any other team.

The third option is simply to go with the flow. Make your spreadsheet but then observe. Did the first four RBs go for much more than you expected? Punt RBs and start grabbing WRs. Are the RBs going for cheap? Then load up -- and keep getting them until the market corrects.

Of course, enjoy!!
So when you go with the first option, what does that generally look like. Are we talking like 60% of budget on first 3 guys? Thanks for the advice.
Could be. One guy in one league REALLY wanted both Zeke and Barkley. He spent about half his budget getting the two of them. Smart? Maybe. Best use of resources? Maybe not. But, it was his team; it's a dynasty league; and he wanted the two RBs that he thought were light-years ahead of everyone else.

Now he has them for his careers, and he's just trying to build around them.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:09 pm

You have to remember that once these guys are on a roster their value instantly goes up/down. For instance let's say you spend $60 on Barkley. Seems like a lot. But you could spend $30 on 2 players and the Barkley owner would probably laugh at you if you tried to trade them both for Barkley. Just some food for thought. I've done the thing where I try to get a bunch of $15-$30 players instead of spending $50-$60 on the studs and it didn't work out so well, but that could have just been my inexperience at the time.