New to Salary

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The Hams
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

New to Salary

Postby The Hams » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:58 am

Hey All - I am very interested in joining a salary cap league this offseason. I run two dynasty leagues and am in a third..Going into my 3rd year in dynasty and am looking to add a new flavor..i have been reading the forums and a contract/salary league seems perfect. adds another layer of complexity and value to each player and a lot more strategy passed just player evaluation..truly managing a team

im not even sure the point of my post other than that i think i want to join a league at some point this year..probably after the nfl draft just so my whole summer isnt football-less.. also kinda lookin for a standard template for a league..dont really want to commiss 3 leagues..but would be very open to building a constitution with people

one quesiton i did have..when you have the auctino draft to build your team..how do you know how many years you have a player for..or is it..you pay $40 for obj..you just say 5 years? bc takin on the risk of a 5 year deal? and then once that 5 years is up..player can be resigned..tagged..transition tagged..or just goes into fa..where people bid for him?

is it normal to have the bidding be auction style or will a fa just go to the highest bidder..feel like some players should be auctioned..dont wanna lose out on obj by a random buck.

all in all..very excited to join one a league

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Re: New to Salary

Postby dlf_tomk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:01 am

Good decision sir. Contract/salary leagues are awesome. Although if you're used to leagues with loads of trading you might be surprised. it's much harder to find trade value that matches up IMO.

Also kinda looking for a standard template
There are a few kicking around. Bruiser will share a link I'm sure and his leagues are good. This is my favourite [although it's salary but not contracts] : http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2016/home/36494#0

When you have the auction draft to build your team..how do you know how many years you have a player for
The "standard" way is to assign a set number of years to players after the auction. The baseline tends to be about 1.5-2 times the number of players. So if you have 40 man rosters you'd have 60 or 8-0 contract years to assign.

I dont wanna lose out on OBJ by a random buck
My favourite method is to do it in 24 hour periods. If no-one betters a player's current highest bid he signs. BUT - you must always raise a bid by 20%. Maximises player contracts [because of course the game is about struggling to fit everyone on your team - not about being able to afford everyone you want] without making auctions suuuper-long
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

The Hams
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Hams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:46 pm

appreciate the response tom!

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:43 pm

So, anyone who sees my icon/handle knows what I'm going to say, but here goes anyway: you should check out realitysportsonline.com

Salary cap & contract leagues are what they do. It's *all* they do.

There is a live online free agent auction each off season. This is incredibly fun. You know how many years you sign the player for because you are offering a specific contract of a specific length. Most importantly, it isn't simply an exercise in resource management as it is with many homemade salary cap and contract leagues. You don't simply choose to assign a given player to a 2 year contract because that allows you to assign a 5 year contract to someone else...the game pushes back against you. If you want to sign a given player to a 3 year deal, you have to present more favorable contract terms than all of the other people in the auction bidding for that player. There is no free lunch in RSO, there is an "AI" that acts in the player's interest, every decision longer than a one year league minimum deal is subject to the forces of the free market.

New for 2017, they are offering 14 day free trials to their already existing mock auction, so you can get the feel of a league there instead of just running through an auction.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:29 pm

I might have an opening in a 4th year league dispersal draft. I found that joining a dispersal is a great way to educate myself on formats; what is good and bad.

Some leagues are very restrictive about trade terms. I found that I really enjoy trading blind-bid dollars (cap space), as it allows for "renegotiating" or restructuring contracts. This helps to keep the trade market fluid. Restrictive trade rules can snuff out trading in a big way.

Rookie wages on a sliding scale is a common element among the leagues I play in. A 4yr rookie contract mimics how the NFL handles this, as well. I allow for 5th year options to be exercised on the first 32 selections in the rookie draft (same as NFL rules). Undrafted rookies are given automatic 3yr contracts, as in the NFL.

What I have found about taxi squad utility is that there are a couple different sets of rules to govern them. If you overlap the rules on taxi squads in S/C league, you will not like the result. I choose simplicity over elaborate for almost every function in the leagues I commish. In leagues that I don't commish, I wish the rules were more simple for the sake of the commish keeping up with the workload. I make the taxi squad rules quite rigid and simple, and my owners appreciate being able to understand the rules.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Mighty4tress
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Mighty4tress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:42 am

Another host you may want to check out is Reality Sports Online. I run two salary cap leagues through them. You determine the number of rounds in a rookie only draft, the rest of your roster is filled via live auction with an automated bid component. The rookies cap numbers are slotted based on draft position. The salary cap number matches the NFL and escalates with it annually - which is often if you want to leave room for roster expansion. They are also offering a free 14 day trial.

http://realitysportsonline.com/RSOLanding.aspx