Superflex Startup Auction

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sabertooth
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Superflex Startup Auction

Postby Sabertooth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:33 am

Hi Fellas,

First post here. Just found this site this year. I post a lot over at football guys and was fortunate enough to have some correspondence with one of the writers here on the boards over there. I had already joined but wanted to point out that Ryan was a great resource.

Anyway I am participating in a Super Flex startup Auction in a few weeks. All auction values will be dropped afterwards. Then is will be just a normal superflex league without salaries or contracts.

So having never participated in a Superflex league (meaning you can flex a QB, RB, WR, or TE) I am trying to gain the edge by maximizing my budgets and selecting players in the most strategic method for long term success.

I am thinking Quarterbacks will be at a premium in this format. They score consistently week in and week out. Also, I'd think they are a little more influenced by the defense. I mean everybody lit Green Bay up last season. So if you can get the following:

:thumbup: Consistent and high floor - they won't get you a goose egg very often like a WR4 might.
:!: High ceilings - sometimes they go off and have monster games just like anyone else.
:) No chance of a "committee" outside of the Jets. Meaning you know he is playing and involved.
:idea: Easily obtainable handcuffs. Let's face it, it is tough to handcuff a guy like Calvin Johnson. If he goes down, you are losing a ton if you plug in Nate Burleson.
:problem: Most protected position - you can't hardly touch a QB any more by the NFL rules.
:wave: Longest career arc - quarterbacks playing into their late 30s is not uncommon. You are looking at what 10-15 years of solid production?

Seems to me, you'd want 4 good solid options. Go after a top guy, like Rodgers, Stafford, and Cam. Then attack attack attack to acquire your medium talents like Cutler and Schaub, and Palmer, then load up with a few youngins like Locker, Dalton, or Tannehill. Maximize the ceiling points with the top guy, and get that solid flex production for years with the other guys. Even Palmer probably has 2 or 3 full seasons of solid production left in him. And you can always look to fortify through trades and subsequent rookie drafts. I think grabbing Manning and Osweiller would be a great strategy too.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track here? These leaugues are basically 2QB Lite right as far as QB value?

Also with a TE required I am targetting Gronkowski and Graham at the very top of my list, right under Rodgers I think. There is nobody close to them.

Sabertooth
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Superflex Startup Auction

Postby Sabertooth » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Tough crowd. 34 views and nobody has an opinion?