Bold Prediction - End of Amateur Athletes

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Payton34
Captain
Captain

Re: Bold Prediction - End of Amateur Athletes

Postby Payton34 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 am

Falim wrote:I don't think there's going to be big changes in direct compensation from the school to the players. What I think will happen is players will be able to make money on their likeness from autographs, endorsements, etc. I think there will be college jersey sales with the players name on it and probably some video game licensing deals where players get a cut. I think there's also a chance stipends get increased and athletes get medical benefits for injuries sustained during the sport even after school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...And this will still create an inequity between schools, but I'm not sure if there's another good answer to this. I mean obviously if a good player can either go to Texas or Iowa, for instance... This might tilt the scales dramatically toward Texas (moreso than it would be already, but you get my point)...

Again though... Not sure if there's a good solution to this.
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes, Tua Tagovailoa
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, M Wilson, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 2 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7..

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:41 pm

the corrupt NCAA would not bend so it will be forced to break .... they continually let kids into school that have no business being there just for the sake of sports . Many of those kids take advantage of the opportunity but many others are simply hired guns with little or no interest in the educational process or benefits. They simply use the time there as a minor leagues, the NCAA can stop much of this by making freshmen ineligible but choose to chase the dollars instead. They have sold out to tradition and common sense in favor of the bottom line. For the longest time I opposed the players getting paid but no longer as the alleged adults are cashing every check possible and for larger and larger amounts these so called "leaders" point to cost or value of the scholarship being fair compensation which leads to a bigger question why is the cost of college so expensive it seems to me to be a giant looting of taxpayers funds in many cases piling up huge debt for the students or having giant taxpayer funded giveaways in the form of grants .
I recall my daughters orientation where by the vice chancellor mentioned less than 50% of students will complete a degree and even a lower % do it in 4 years. That seems like massive incompetence either in the screening process meaning they just allow anyone with money or the ability to borrow to attend or the institutions incredibly poor job of educating people. Most professions with a +50 % fail rate are not held in such high esteem by society.
these leaders have set an example and now they are balking at the kids following their lead ...........hypocrites ... hey NCAA WAKE UP it is time to die an overdue death. :boohoo:
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Falim
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Falim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Payton34 wrote:
Falim wrote:I don't think there's going to be big changes in direct compensation from the school to the players. What I think will happen is players will be able to make money on their likeness from autographs, endorsements, etc. I think there will be college jersey sales with the players name on it and probably some video game licensing deals where players get a cut. I think there's also a chance stipends get increased and athletes get medical benefits for injuries sustained during the sport even after school.

...And this will still create an inequity between schools, but I'm not sure if there's another good answer to this. I mean obviously if a good player can either go to Texas or Iowa, for instance... This might tilt the scales dramatically toward Texas (moreso than it would be already, but you get my point)...

Again though... Not sure if there's a good solution to this.
There's already tons of inequality. Schools in the big conferences get pretty much all of the top recruits. And even then it's all about the money since a top school means more exposure and better chance of making the pros.

12 team startup, 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 2FLEX, DST, K
Scoring: 1pt PPR, 6pt TD passing, 1pt per 20yd passing
QB - Brees, Glennon, Manuel, Garoppola
RB - AP, Ball, Gore, L. Murray, Bolden, Asiata, C.J. Anderson, LaMichael James, K. Carey, McKinnon
WR - DT, Garcon, R. White, Wayne, Baldwin, Cooper, Boykin, J. Matthews, Gallon
TE - J. Thomas, Ertz, Lyerla
DST- Seattle

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 am

If the proposed solution is to let them sell autographs and do endorsements I'm fine with that.

I still fail to see how most of these problems couldn't be solved by lowering the requirement for entering the NFL draft to one year out of high school (like the NBA). If you want the money, enter the draft.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

davinci78
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby davinci78 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:17 am

Most high school kids or college freshman are NO where near ready to play in the NFL. Imagine the increase in concussions if we let 19 year old kids into the professional ranks. The NFL is trying to reduce the concussions occurring, so I don't see them allowing younger players in.
Keeper League:
ALuck
DThomas
ODB
ELacy
KBenjamin
Latavious Murray

MFLDyn1:
QB: NFoles,RGIII
RB: RBush, JHill, ZStacy, TWest, , BBrown, JGray, JRandle, RRice
WR: KAllen, DJackson, ODB, SBailey, MWheaton, John Brown
TE: TKelce, ASJ

MFLDyn2
QB: ARodgers, ASmith, KCousins
RB: MLynch, DMurray, SRidley, DWilliams, SRedd
WR: LFitz, RWhite, AWilson (Chiefs), James Jones, MGoodwin
TE: AGates, JHill

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Falim wrote: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:14 am I don't think there's going to be big changes in direct compensation from the school to the players. What I think will happen is players will be able to make money on their likeness from autographs, endorsements, etc. I think there will be college jersey sales with the players name on it and probably some video game licensing deals where players get a cut. I think there's also a chance stipends get increased and athletes get medical benefits for injuries sustained during the sport even after school.

Giving life to an old thread ... Falim's thinking was spot on with what the state of California is in the process of passing this week. The state's House and Senate have passed a bill that will allow any college athlete to receive compensation from company sponsorships. The bill passed with unanimous votes!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/cal ... t-n1052886

At this point the NCAA has been reduced to begging (and possibly bribing) the governor to reject the bill. However, since there is not a single "no" vote in congress, there is no practical way of stopping this from passing.

Once California enacts this the rest of the country will follow very quickly.

I have not said this to California very often, but ... WAY TO GO!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

As for what happened to the first attempt to end the NCAA? The Northwestern players attempted to unionize and then for negotiations. Their unionization was challenged in a law suit that went to court in Chicago. A Chicago judge decided the players do NOT have the right to unionize ... yes, a CHICAGO judge decided AGAINST unionization.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:37 am

The NCAA is coming unraveled. The conferences as we know them are next.
Players are being offered $1M+ by booster organizations to play for their teams.
NIL is the vehicle for the money.

You heard it here first ... a long time ago.

Live long and prosper, DLF community.