Houston Draft Strategy

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Nixon
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Houston Draft Strategy

Postby Nixon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm

To me, it would depend if they were in love with any of the QBs or not. If they do, take their guy. If not I would consider trying to trade down and attempt to maximize the value. They're starting to turnover, and have some young talent. If it were my team, that's probably what I'd want them to do.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 pm

I doubted it earlier but I think Clowney is a lock to go 1.01. Forcing a qb and drafting a player like Locker, Ponder, or Manuel is a bad move. Just doesn't look like any of the qbs are worth it.

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 am

I just don't see how Houston passes on pairing Clowney with JJ Watt. They would be absolutely nuts if they reached for a QB over him. I think the mirage of these QB is coming to surface. Sure, it's always tempting to take the 1st QB in the draft because they have a need.. but why not take Clowney, then make a play for Ryan Mallett? O'Brian knows him from NE and from what I've heard and (limited) seen it sure looks like Mallett is better than the majority of these Rookie QB's anyway.

Igwebuike 4 Prez
Starter
Starter

Postby Igwebuike 4 Prez » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am

We hear the argument that teams force QBs at the top of the draft, virtually every year. Truth is, it doesn't stop teams from drafting a QB, when they don't have one. If a QB has to be Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning caliber to go #1, then a QB would only get drafted 1st overall every 15 years or so. Everything Houston has done this off season (trading Schaub, signing Fitzpatrick to backup money, hiring a former QB coach/offensive coordinator) points to taking a QB.

Taking Clowney would only make sense if Houston had its future QB in house. If none of the top QBs are worthy of going #1 overall, then why would the "leftover" QBs in the 2nd round or later be any more worthy of taking over a better player? What is to say that Houston won't have players rated higher on its draft board, when it comes time to draft a QB outside the 1st round? That is why the taking Clowney then finding a QB later approach doesn't make sense to me. Successful teams don't go into the draft thinking, "Let's take X player with this pick then follow it up with X position on the next pick".

I don't see Houston having a player other than QB rated as its top prospect, but who knows.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:53 am

When was the last time Bruce Smith or Mario Williams won the Lombardi trophy? Ya never. You win Championships with QB's not DE's.

There is no doubt in my mind that Clowney is the far more talented athlete over anyone else in the draft, but when you are picking #1, it's because you have no QB whatsoever.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Seahawks D did a pretty good job of winning a Super Bowl.

dxw100
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dxw100 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Stumbled Upon this the other night.
http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/20/does ... pionships/

But I don't have much to add about Houston. JJ and Clowny would be pretty terrifying but JJ is terrifying by himself. There are some very solid DE/OLB that will be around the top of Rd 2 so if they don't trade back I think they will grab a QB with the first pick.
12 Team, Roster-40 TS-4 IR-2, PPR( 1/TE, 0.5/WR, 0/RB), IDP balanced scoring
QB(1): Cam, R. Wilson, Winston
RB(1-2): Charles, Gordon, McKInnon, L.Murray, K. Davis, C. West
WR(1-4): Calvin, O. Beckham, D. Hopkins, T. Austin, Abbrederis, R. Streater, Conley, Bell
TE(0-2): Gronk, Kelce, Escobar, Gilmore
K(1):
DL(2-3): Watt, Campbell, Atkins, Melton, Hunt
LB(2-3): Burfict, Pozlunszy, Greenway, Rey, Shazier, T. Smith, Riley
DB(2-3): Ward, Berry, McDonald, Verner, Jennings

12 Team, Roster-24 IR-3, PPR( 1.5/TE, 1/WR, 0.5/RB), Superflex
QB (1-2): Luck, Cam, Teddy, JFF
RB (2-4): AP, Hill, Gio, Gurley, Ellington, Duke, CMike
WR (2-5): Cobb, Alshon, Landry, ARob, Larry Fitz, D. Adams, C. Johnson, Perriman, Parker
TE (1-4): Jimmy, Kelce, Allen

cgcthem
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cgcthem » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:27 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:Seahawks D did a pretty good job of winning a Super Bowl.
Not taking Clowney seems Crazy to me at this point.Wilson was a 3rd Round pick why can't you take a chance on a guy later like that and draft a diffrence maker in Clowney the QB position is very questionable to me and although it is a need take one later.

DRDOOM

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:05 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:Seahawks D did a pretty good job of winning a Super Bowl.
They still had a top 10 QB though, and overall their entire defence was solid, not just one super talented DE. If I am trying to win a Super Bowl, I'll take the stud QB over the stud DE any day of the week.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

heydangle
All Pro
All Pro

Postby heydangle » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:11 am

They also had Russell Wilson as well. If they think they can find that in the 2nd or 3rd round, they'll go Clowney. Worth noting, last I checked, they only had 4 defensive linemen on their roster. With all the QBs coming out next year, I'd be okay if they went Clowney and waited on a QB. At first, as a Texans fan, I wanted to Teddy, to go compete now... but they really need a lot of bodies after letting so many go the last couple years.

Igwebuike 4 Prez
Starter
Starter

Postby Igwebuike 4 Prez » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 am

Seattle and Russell Wilson are an exception. There probably isn't another team in the NFL with a roster made up of more non-1st round players.

Seattle liked Wilson, but they didn't know what they were getting when they drafted him. They had just signed Matt Flynn to a big FA contract.

Seattle was 31st in pass attempts last year (32nd in Wilson's rookie year). I doubt Bill O'Brien can get by with a QB like that in his offense.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:56 am

Exactly, don't get me wrong, I like Wilson (tough to say as a Niner's fan), but he's literally had to do very little to win in Seattle. He reminds me of Mark Sanchez but better, he came into a great situation where he doesn't have to do too much as his team has an amazing running game and amazing D. Just like the Jets had.

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:22 am

Am I the only person that wants to see Houston draft Johnny Manziel? Texas Born and Raised doin it Big Time in his home state. That would be box-office.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:58 am

1standgoal wrote:Am I the only person that wants to see Houston draft Johnny Manziel? Texas Born and Raised doin it Big Time in his home state. That would be box-office.
As an owner of the 1.01 on my Superflex I would cream myself the Texas drafted Johnny Football.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:05 pm

DJB wrote:
They still had a top 10 QB though, and overall their entire defence was solid, not just one super talented DE. If I am trying to win a Super Bowl, I'll take the stud QB over the stud DE any day of the week.
true but his team passed on a qb the 1st 2 rounds and drafted him 75th or whatever ... if there was a surefire guy ... take him but since this group is looking like the ponder gabbert locker group perhaps a defensive player is the proper way to go.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci