Houston Draft Strategy

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Houston Draft Strategy

Postby DJB » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 pm

I do think though that Houston will take Clowney and will draft the leftover QB at 31, be is Bridgewater, Carr or Mett.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:26 pm

I have read this thread over again and I hear what some of you are saying about not passing on a stud QB. Problem with that logic, is there are no clear-cut #1 QB or stud QB in this draft. If you ask 3 experts, they will most likely name 3 different QB's ranked @ #1. So what do you do? You take the once-in-a-lifetime genetic freak, Jadeveon Clowney. If they don't they will regret it and O'Brian most likely won't live it down (again only my opinion). They could easily (as mentioned in the post above) take whichever QB falls into the 2nd round. Heck.. they have the first pick then too! So, why reach when you can take the gift in front of you (Clowney) then take the next gift in front of you (Carr, Murray, possibly Bridgewater) whichever QB falls to #33 (or 2.01).

My reasoning is simple. None of the QB in this class are ready to go. Clowney on the other hand is. I know we're all talking about JJ Watt and Clowney.. but don't forget about Whitney Mercilus. Now, just imagine all three of them rushing the passer!

That's what I'm talking about!

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Seems pretty obvious these days that Texas is going to take Clowny.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Blackout » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:09 am

Agreed. Clowney and McCarron or Mettenberger or Bridgewater if he fails in 2nd round

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:24 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:problem is none of these qbs appear to be head and shoulders above the rest

and its easier now that the top picks are less 25 million guaranteed .... rather than the 40 or 60 million guaranteed or whatever that bradford got.

pro bowls are irrelevent ... david garrard has been to the pro bowl and matt schaub ... guys bail on the pro bowl faster than jury duty

bradshaw elway aikman the mannings luck and newton are true cornerstone players

testaverde bledsoe stafford palmer ... are stat boys better at fantasy than real football

plunkett did win 2 super bowls but he was awful at times

vick spectacular but erratic and the rest are just guys or worse
the class is closer to alex smith than terry bradshaw
this x2....none of these qb are worthy of the number 1 pick. its quite comical to me how anyone besides clowney or Watkins are even in the discussion
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:15 am

I agree, he should have an open competition with the QB they draft at 2.01

vegasgolffanatic
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby vegasgolffanatic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 am

Lotto4Life wrote:
Jimmy Jones wrote:Houston passed on QB to draft Mario Williams #1 overall a few years back. He plays for the Bills now. When a QB is taken high and busts, that's all you hear about. When it's another position, not so much.
While technically they passed on every QB in the draft, most thought they'd take Reggie Bush #1. And Mario Williams wasn't a bust.
Interesting that you bring up that draft. Look at their team: David Carr, Domanick Davis, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels. Yes they were an budding expansion team, but all they were really lacking, IMO, was an OFFENSIVE LINE. How many sacks did Carr take that year (2006)? Like 80? The guy can't throw from his back. All that being said, I thought they should've made it CLEAR to everyone that they were going to take Reggie Bush. Then they could've pulled off a Herchel Walker-like trade (or Ricky Williams) where they could've scored 2-3 STARTING offensive linemen and like 3-5 draft picks. Had they worked on their line in 2006, not only do I think they would've been one of the better offensive teams that year, but I think David Carr would be remembered very differently in hindsight.
14-Team PPR

QB-M.Ryan, E.Manning, J.Locker, M.Barkley
RB-Forte, Vereen, F.Jackson, M.Lattimore, J.Todman, K.Hunter, K.Carey
WR-R.White, R.Woods, J.Boykin, M.Lee, J.Kearse, S.Bailey, Charles Johnson
TE-J.Witten, M.Rivera
2014 Draft: 1.05, 1.07, 3.02, 4.07, 4.08, 4.09, 4.12, 4.13, 4.14