Gruden Resigning as Raiders HC

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Gruden Resigning as Raiders HC

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 pm

Shankopotamus wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:39 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:07 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm Some of you understand that you are unintentionally asking to unravel the game that we all love, right?

Football is a violent sport. It’s already in the crosshairs of some because of its blatant masculinity. NFL football is the elite level of what is designed to be adversarial and a controlled violence subculture. This is a male culture of overt dominance over one’s opponent.

It’s also almost the perfect team sport. All 11 players on each side of the ball have to function at that elite level and weak links are ruthlessly exposed and exploited. Male bonding and locker room banter are part of the essentials that make the game work and form critical deep bonds that otherwise would not exist in most parts of our society.

There’s a culture that is required to make this sport function. It’s alpha male dominance oriented. No one should be excusing Gruden’s behavior - he’s clearly a throwback to the 70s and never evolved, but got by on his gregarious charm in the public’s eye that went along with his expertise at understanding the intricacies of football theory and being able to manage multi-millionaire delinquents. But if football - and the NFL is the top of that pyramid - is going to survive and thrive, there has to be an understanding that this is explicitly an alpha male sport and culture that lionizes the studs and grinds over the flawed. It’s a fundamental part of what makes the game work, and what makes it loved by so many while simultaneously so despised by some. If this game is going to survive in this day and age, there is going to have to be some concession and admission to what can only be described as dominant maleness - and there’s nothing wrong with that in what should be a tolerant and inclusive society.
This is just an awful post, and I'm trying to hold back.

There's nothing about being a good football player that goes hand-in-hand with being a racist, sexist, homophobic a$$hole - and if you're excusing this type of behavior / language because you think it's a necessary mindset to be a great football player, then I'm guessing you don't really disagree with that line of thinking in the first place.

As others have said, it's pretty easy to go through life without being a homophobe, without using derogatory / defaming language when describing people of different color, gender, and sexual orientation.

And who cares if this audit leads to half the coaches losing their jobs (which I doubt would happen)? If you're a racist, sexist, homophobic a$$hole, guess what - you don't get to coach in the NFL.

And as others have said (again), this isn't cancel culture. This is called accountability and consequences. Considering he was coaching a team mostly full of black people (and ironically enough, the only openly gay player in the NFL currently), and he's on record with racist and anti-gay remarks, he's not fit to lead any NFL locker room, especially not the Las Vegas Raiders.
I'd be willing to be 80+% of NFL players and coaches have been or made remarks that are sexist, homophobic, and or racist. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.
I would bet it's closer to 99.5%
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:45 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 pm

There's nothing about being a good football player that goes hand-in-hand with being a racist, sexist, homophobic a$$hole - and if you're excusing this type of behavior / language because you think it's a necessary mindset to be a great football player, then I'm guessing you don't really disagree with that line of thinking in the first place.

As others have said, it's pretty easy to go through life without being a homophobe, without using derogatory / defaming language when describing people of different color, gender, and sexual orientation.

And who cares if this audit leads to half the coaches losing their jobs (which I doubt would happen)? If you're a racist, sexist, homophobic a$$hole, guess what - you don't get to coach in the NFL.

And as others have said (again), this isn't cancel culture. This is called accountability and consequences. Considering he was coaching a team mostly full of black people (and ironically enough, the only openly gay player in the NFL currently), and he's on record with racist and anti-gay remarks, he's not fit to lead any NFL locker room, especially not the Las Vegas Raiders.
I'd be willing to be 80+% of NFL players and coaches have been or made remarks that are sexist, homophobic, and or racist. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.
I go a step further and wager that 99.5% of the American population has said or typed something along those lines.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:04 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:45 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 pm

I go a step further and wager that 99.5% of the American population has said or typed something along those lines.
Without a doubt.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:11 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm Some of you understand that you are unintentionally asking to unravel the game that we all love, right?

Football is a violent sport. It’s already in the crosshairs of some because of its blatant masculinity. NFL football is the elite level of what is designed to be adversarial and a controlled violence subculture. This is a male culture of overt dominance over one’s opponent.

It’s also almost the perfect team sport. All 11 players on each side of the ball have to function at that elite level and weak links are ruthlessly exposed and exploited. Male bonding and locker room banter are part of the essentials that make the game work and form critical deep bonds that otherwise would not exist in most parts of our society.

There’s a culture that is required to make this sport function. It’s alpha male dominance oriented. No one should be excusing Gruden’s behavior - he’s clearly a throwback to the 70s and never evolved, but got by on his gregarious charm in the public’s eye that went along with his expertise at understanding the intricacies of football theory and being able to manage multi-millionaire delinquents. But if football - and the NFL is the top of that pyramid - is going to survive and thrive, there has to be an understanding that this is explicitly an alpha male sport and culture that lionizes the studs and grinds over the flawed. It’s a fundamental part of what makes the game work, and what makes it loved by so many while simultaneously so despised by some. If this game is going to survive in this day and age, there is going to have to be some concession and admission to what can only be described as dominant maleness - and there’s nothing wrong with that in what should be a tolerant and inclusive society.

Your bolded text is pretty much the only 7 words that he used to condone Gruden.

The other few hundred words he used were basically excusing Gruden.

What's your point?
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:42 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:07 pmThis is just an awful post, and I'm trying to hold back.

+++++++++
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Anteaters wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:42 am https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... t4t5d5li51
Jon Gruden contract: What Raiders coach's resignation means for future salary, guarantees

IMO, this is the only part of the article that really matters: "Gruden and the Raiders are working on a settlement package in wake of his resignation. However, they haven't come to an agreement on a settlement yet.

"It’s unresolved," an anonymous source told USA TODAY Sports.
"

Bottom line? No one knows yet.

My assumption is that despite the public announcement, the contract remains in effect until it is officially severed, meaning the Raiders still owe him $60M. That means that whether he performs any more work for the Raiders or not, Gruden will continue to get paid until an agreement is reached. And the agreement to sever the contract will certainly result in tens of millions of dollars being paid to Gruden.
Mike Florio was speculating that the owner didn't want to let him go but the NFL forced him to. If so, and combined with Gruden "resigning", it's hard to see how the Raiders would be on the hook for guarantees.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:36 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:21 pm
Anteaters wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:42 am https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... t4t5d5li51
Jon Gruden contract: What Raiders coach's resignation means for future salary, guarantees

IMO, this is the only part of the article that really matters: "Gruden and the Raiders are working on a settlement package in wake of his resignation. However, they haven't come to an agreement on a settlement yet.

"It’s unresolved," an anonymous source told USA TODAY Sports.
"

Bottom line? No one knows yet.

My assumption is that despite the public announcement, the contract remains in effect until it is officially severed, meaning the Raiders still owe him $60M. That means that whether he performs any more work for the Raiders or not, Gruden will continue to get paid until an agreement is reached. And the agreement to sever the contract will certainly result in tens of millions of dollars being paid to Gruden.
Mike Florio was speculating that the owner didn't want to let him go but the NFL forced him to. If so, and combined with Gruden "resigning", it's hard to see how the Raiders would be on the hook for guarantees.
Yeah, I find it highly doubtful that the Raiders are on the hook for much more, beyond this year, especially considering the relationship the two parties had. I'd be shocked to see Gruden getting paid "tens of millions" of dollars for future years. Highly unlikely.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:03 pm

Thanks for completely missing the entire context of my post in order to “hold back” and launch your diatribe. You were so overwhelmed by your disgust at what wasn’t written but that you instead chose to infer so you could take off on your rant that you missed this, huh?
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm No one should be excusing Gruden’s behavior - he’s clearly a throwback to the 70s and never evolved, but got by on his gregarious charm in the public’s eye that went along with his expertise at understanding the intricacies of football theory and being able to manage multi-millionaire delinquents.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:03 pm

Thanks for completely missing the entire context of my post in order to “hold back” and launch your diatribe. You were so overwhelmed by your disgust at what wasn’t written but that you instead chose to infer so you could take off on your rant that you missed this, huh?
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm No one should be excusing Gruden’s behavior - he’s clearly a throwback to the 70s and never evolved, but got by on his gregarious charm in the public’s eye that went along with his expertise at understanding the intricacies of football theory and being able to manage multi-millionaire delinquents.
You wrote 7 words condoning Gruden, and a few hundred words explaining that we should accept & dismiss this kind of behavior. I believe the exact words you used were dominant male-ness.

WTF are you even talking about? You tried to suggest that this kind of behavior & language should be tolerated because it's what breeds good football players.

The the f*ck outta here with that nonsense. Literally in your condonation of Gruden above, you manage to compliment him 3 or 4 times (while insulting the players), then proceed to suggest this kind of talk is necessary to build a team culture.
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:03 pm

You wrote 7 words condoning Gruden, and a few hundred words explaining that we should accept & dismiss this kind of behavior. I believe the exact words you used were dominant male-ness.

WTF are you even talking about? You tried to suggest that this kind of behavior & language should be tolerated because it's what breeds good football players.

Get the f*ck outta here with that nonsense. Literally in your condonation of Gruden above, you manage to compliment him 3 or 4 times (while insulting the players), then proceed to suggest this kind of talk is necessary to build a team culture.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 pm You wrote 7 words condoning Gruden, and a few hundred words explaining that we should accept & dismiss this kind of behavior. I believe the exact words you used were dominant male-ness.

Get the f*ck outta here with that nonsense. Literally in your condonation of Gruden above, you manage to compliment him 3 or 4 times (while insulting the players), then proceed to suggest this kind of talk is necessary to build a team culture.
Go ahead. Quote me directly anywhere where I condoned racism, homophobia, or anything else you’re accusing me of. Quote even one. I’ll wait.

You completely misinterpreted my post for your own gratification and so you could put your indignation on full display for everyone. I’d be happy to show how hypocritical and shortsighted your position is but I’d prefer not to turn this into a pissing contest. So I’ll ask again - quote even one post of mine that supports the bigotry that you are so certain that I am guilty of.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:13 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 pm You wrote 7 words condoning Gruden, and a few hundred words explaining that we should accept & dismiss this kind of behavior. I believe the exact words you used were dominant male-ness.

Go ahead. Quote me directly anywhere where I condoned racism, homophobia, or anything else you’re accusing me of. Quote even one. I’ll wait.

You completely misinterpreted my post for your own gratification and so you could put your indignation on full display for everyone. I’d be happy to show how hypocritical and shortsighted your position is but I’d prefer not to turn this into a pissing contest. So I’ll ask again - quote even one post of mine that supports the bigotry that you are so certain that I am guilty of.
Will do in the morning :thumbup:

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:51 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm You wrote 7 words condoning Gruden, and a few hundred words explaining that we should accept & dismiss this kind of behavior.
Not to nitpick here, but when you condone something, you "Overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure. synonym: forgive."

I think you meant condemn.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:51 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm You wrote 7 words condoning Gruden, and a few hundred words explaining that we should accept & dismiss this kind of behavior.
Not to nitpick here, but when you condone something, you "Overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure. synonym: forgive."

I think you meant condemn.
You are absolutely correct, I meant condemn.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the clarification.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 pm

Lol regardless of whether you said racist or homophobic things, your comments on how the alpha male is needed to preserve football is literally comedy. So do women need to be more like men and embrace absolute toxic masculinity in order to compete with each other?

Nah bruh.

What keeps players playing at a high level is competition/competitiveness! You want to beat/out work your opponent. Do not mistake your simplistic world view as any semblance of reality please. Anybody can compete and have the drive to dominate at a high level this isn’t exclusive. Lol you don’t need to swing your schlong around to be the best at what you do

*oh yeah you also don’t need to be outright racist/bigoted either lol. Not even sure how that gets lumped into sports/competition anyways. More of a symptom of our society I guess :boohoo:
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards