NFL stats question

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

NFL stats question

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:09 am

Does the NFL have a contact for stat correction questions? Curious because I seem to remember a twitter thread a few years back where a guy contacted the NFL and successfully got a stat changed. I am not looking to do that, but would want to ask a question about how they review games.

Seems to me on the MNF game, they clearly missed a fumble in the stats. At 2:35-2:30, in the 3rd quarter, the Raiders force the ball out of Williams hands, and it goes out of bounds. Williams himself did not step out of bounds. The ref signals the out of bounds sign with his hands above his head, and throws his beanie down, to indicate that a fumble occured. This would affect IDP scoring, in some leagues I would take it, for either Abram or Littleton, who made the play (think it was Abram who knocked it loose). It does not show up in the box scores as a fumble for Williams or a FF for the Raiders player. I am wondering how many of these types of plays are actually missed weekly?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: NFL stats question

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Found something from three years ago that they successfully had a stat changed (also related to IDP scoring) by contacting Elias Sports Bureau.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:30 pm

Is it a fumble if there is no loss of possession?

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:30 pm Is it a fumble if there is no loss of possession?
It should be counted as a fumble, just not a lost fumble.

Does IDP scoring count fumbles that are not lost as forced fumbles?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:30 pm Is it a fumble if there is no loss of possession?
It should be counted as a fumble, just not a lost fumble.

Does IDP scoring count fumbles that are not lost as forced fumbles?
Some must have a forced fumble scoring. Forced Fumble is a pretty common stat for defenders. I have a league that you lose a point for a fumble, even if you don't lose it. So Ty'Son would have lost a point there. Incidentally, I also learned that when the center snaps the ball past or over the QB's head, and the QB has to fall on it, it counts as a fumble for the QB. Kind of dumb. Happened to Carr on Monday night.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:49 pm

I understand a fumble occurs when a player fumbles and another offensive player recovers, that is a fumble without loss of possession. If a player fumbles out of bounds, was there a loss of possession and a fumble being recorded?
That is not clear to me in regards to the official scoring.

My understanding is that a fumble is defined as a loss of possession. If a player fumble out of bounds, there is no loss of possession and the ball belongs to the last player who possessed it

https://football.calsci.com/TheRules9.html

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:49 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:49 pm I understand a fumble occurs when a player fumbles and another offensive player recovers, that is a fumble without loss of possession. If a player fumbles out of bounds, was there a loss of possession and a fumble being recorded?

My understanding is that a fumble is defined as a loss of possession. If a player fumble out of bounds, there is no loss of possession and the ball belongs to the last player who possessed it

Right, would a backward pass out of bounds be a fumble? I wouldn't think so

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:19 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:49 pm I understand a fumble occurs when a player fumbles and another offensive player recovers, that is a fumble without loss of possession. If a player fumbles out of bounds, was there a loss of possession and a fumble being recorded?

Think we need to distinguish when the PLAYER losses possession and when the TEAM does.

Scenario one- In a 2 minute drill, a PLAYER catches a ball and goes out of bounds. The PLAYER is in the possession of the ball when going out of bounds. However, it was a failed 4th down play. The TEAM losses possession, even though there was no fumble.

Scenario two- PLAYER losses possession of the ball near the sideline and it goes out of bounds. No player from either team gained possession of the ball inbounds. The TEAM does not lose possession of the ball, assuming it wasn't a failed 4th down play. The PLAYER fumbled but it was not a lost fumble.

Scenario three- PLAYER fumbles on the way to scoring. The ball goes into the end zone and then out of bounds. The TEAM losses possession of the ball, and the PLAYER should be logged as having both fumbled and losing a fumble.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 pm

I have to assume that if the ball comes out of the players possession, but never actually lands in bounds, that must be considered different because it never became live in any way? If it is fumbled and hits the ground or goes to another player before hitting the ground, then it would be classified as a fumble. I'm guessing though. Very active in IDP but haven't considered this one previously. Not sure the actual determination.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 pm I have to assume that if the ball comes out of the players possession, but never actually lands in bounds, that must be considered different because it never became live in any way? If it is fumbled and hits the ground or goes to another player before hitting the ground, then it would be classified as a fumble. I'm guessing though. Very active in IDP but haven't considered this one previously. Not sure the actual determination.
This is possible. It had crossed my mind, too. However the ball typically is spotted at the point where it goes out of bounds, if it goes backwards, which it did in this case, so it should register as a fumble. May have to go back and see where they spotted it. I thought maybe they ruled his forward progress had been stopped, but throwing the beanie and stopping the clock makes no sense if that was the case. Not sure who I'd ask to clarify that one..... :think:

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:13 pm

https://operations.nfl.com/media/5427/2 ... lebook.pdf

Section seven, article three on fumbles. Page 35.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:32 am

Funny this thread came up. A buddy in my IDP league is in a tough spot. His team is decent, but he played a top 3 team, and they ended up tying. However, the other team has Taylor Rapp in ad DB, and CBS said he had 6 tackles (we don't use assists) but NFL.com has him with 4. The Rams official site says 6. Not sure which one CBS uses but it appears to be wrong. Not sure what he can do about it.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:57 am

So this is interesting. In the Ravens/Raiders game, Center Richie James snaps the ball past Derek Carr, when Carr isn't ready, looking at his WR's and calling an audible. They give Carr the fumble and the recovery. Last night, Creed Humphrey snaps the ball over Mahomes head, who recovers it, and throws it away for an intentional grounding. They credit Humphrey with the fumble, and Mahomes with the recovery. LOL.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:18 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:09 am Does the NFL have a contact for stat correction questions? Curious because I seem to remember a twitter thread a few years back where a guy contacted the NFL and successfully got a stat changed. I am not looking to do that, but would want to ask a question about how they review games.
damn, i should have done that when kenny clark swatted down a pass at LOS and wasn't given as a pass defended. turds.