49ers trade for #3 pick

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Re: 49ers trade for #3 pick

Postby Dynos » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:50 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:45 am
Lumps wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:41 am

Please block me. I need a break from the emojis, even though they’re so totally awesome to the max.
I did that because I know you love it so much. But again, you just toss out some blind comment that no one understands without any logic.

Again, for what? For whom? The first 2 picks are basically solidified. They can do nothing about them. They JUST traded up. They don't have another 1st. Just.... what?
So you’re saying that SF is targeting Jones with pick 1.03? OK, where’s the logic behind giving up that much draft capital for a guy they could draft with a lower pick than that?

And how do we know with certainty that NYJ will draft Wilson?
NYJ should trade down, they have so many holes
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:03 am

Dynos wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:50 am

I did that because I know you love it so much. But again, you just toss out some blind comment that no one understands without any logic.

Again, for what? For whom? The first 2 picks are basically solidified. They can do nothing about them. They JUST traded up. They don't have another 1st. Just.... what?
So you’re saying that SF is targeting Jones with pick 1.03? OK, where’s the logic behind giving up that much draft capital for a guy they could draft with a lower pick than that?

NYJ should trade down, they have so many holes
QB being the most important one by far...

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:27 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:00 am Agreed that it’s now 100% clear that the Jets are taking a QB- a thing that was only a mere 99.98% clear before this trade. If the Jets were keeping Darnold, they would have all of those picks from SF right now.
I think Darnold's value is more like Rosen was- let's see if we can groom him. Heard something that the Jets could use him to move up from 2nd or 3rd. Atlanta would be an interesting match. Rather than settle for the 4th QB and feel compelled to get him on the field, test him as a potential long term option.

Can't dismiss Minshew. At this point, I'd prefer him over Darnold. Washington would be interesting, especially with the elements to his game of Fitzmagic.
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:00 amCarolina is in a weird spot. The 5th QB could fall to them, but I don’t see how they trade up, unless it’s one spot with Detroit. I doubt Atlanta trades back within the division, and I don’t see Cincinnati or Miami moving back.
If Atlanta really auctions off the pick, I'm curious how much interest they'd get from teams trying to get ahead Cin/Mia for one of Sewell/Waddle/Chase/Pitts. If they then compare those packages to what Carolina could offer, which would be the most value? What if it's a virtual clone of what SF sent? If Atlanta isn't sold on, say, Fields, Carolina pinning themselves to him long term AND taking all that draft capital from them is a great way to wreck a rival.

Alternately, if SF really does value Jones that much, trading back to 8 to get him AND taking all the capital Carolina would give would be interesting.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am

SF is taking a QB that can start day 1 for their playoff caliber team. They are not going to keep Garrapollo on the team with his replacement behind him. With that said, I think Wilson or Mac Jones are the two likely QBs that can start the first year. I doubt it's Trey Lance, when was the last time he even QB any team? I wouldn't think it's Fields as I don't think he is a good passer, unless they like his running ability and will work with his passing.

I wouldn't rule out Zach Wilson to SF. The Jets and SF have plenty of connections, perhaps they trade down 1 spot for some SF players.

I don't understand why Mac Jones is not being taken more seriously for the #3 pick. He likely is the best passer of all the rookie QBs and I believe that's fairly important part of playing QB.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:45 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am SF is taking a QB that can start day 1 for their playoff caliber team. They are not going to keep Garrapollo on the team with his replacement behind him. With that said, I think Wilson or Mac Jones are the two likely QBs that can start the first year. I doubt it's Trey Lance, when was the last time he even QB any team? I wouldn't think it's Fields as I don't think he is a good passer, unless they like his running ability and will work with his passing.

I wouldn't rule out Zach Wilson to SF. The Jets and SF have plenty of connections, perhaps they trade down 1 spot for some SF players.

I don't understand why Mac Jones is not being taken more seriously for the #3 pick. He likely is the best passer of all the rookie QBs and I believe that's fairly important part of playing QB.
I don't understand this narrative that SF wouldn't trade up for a QB they believe in, but wouldn't be ready on Day 1.

The Rams traded up for Jared Goff with no expectation he'd start day 1. The Eagles traded up for Carson Wentz with Sam Bradford the incumbent starter and the only reason he ended up starting his rookie year is because Teddy Bridgewater suffered a catastrophic injury before the season and MIN vastly overpaid for his services. The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes with a playoff team and Alex Smith locked into the starters role. Teams trade up for QBs that they do not expect to be ready all. the. time.

There isn't enough top end QB talent out there to be choosy about their timeline. If you see a QB that you believe can lead your franchise for the next 10+ years, you go and get them.

Fields not having his pro day yet makes it hard for me to believe SF was willing to go all in on him before a face to face meeting.

I agree that Mac Jones is in play at #3 but IMO Lance is the most likely pick there assuming Wilson goes #2 to the Jets.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:59 am

Philly had new coaching staff and Rams were not a good team. SF wants to make the playoffs, they are not in the middle of a rebuild.

I agree, SF will believe in The QB they take and he will start day 1, I just do not believe that QB is Lance. Lance has to be the least pro ready QB to ever enter the league. He has 1 college season and that was two years ago. He's a clear project player.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:27 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:59 am Philly had new coaching staff and Rams were not a good team. SF wants to make the playoffs, they are not in the middle of a rebuild.

I agree, SF will believe in The QB they take and he will start day 1, I just do not believe that QB is Lance. Lance has to be the least pro ready QB to ever enter the league. He has 1 college season and that was two years ago. He's a clear project player.
1. What does a new coaching staff have to do with anything?
2. Rams were 6-10 - 7-9 for 4 years prior to Goff's rookie season and Jeff Fisher was very active about making the playoffs, "I'm not f---ing going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 ... we have too much talent here for that," Fisher said during an episode of HBO's Hard Knocks. "We had some 7-9 s--t this morning and we can't have that. ... That is 7-9 bulls--t and we don't need it." They didn't draft Goff with the expectation he wouldn't start on day 1 just because they were a bad team...

When the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes they were a playoff team with an incumbent QB.
When the Bills traded up for Josh Allen they went 9-7 the year before.

Both of these QBs were "projects".

By comparison.. the 49ers went 6-10 last year.

The idea that the 49ers won't draft Lance because he's a project and they're a strong team is just a narrative that doesn't align with historic precedence.

Trey Lance is the least pro ready QB to ever enter the league?? That's a very bold statement considering we haven't seen a year of improvement and he was a relatively advanced freshman QB.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Please block me. I need a break from the emojis, even though they’re so totally awesome to the max.

I actually never said that, so..... :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:17 pm

Hard to really know what SF thinks of Jones but if they love him as a franchise QB they will draft him without hesitation regardless of what other scouts say. The only scouts they listen to are their own.

Jones is uber smart and did lead the nation I think in passing last season. His rise was much like Burrow in his year leading up to the draft.

We all get wrapped up in speed and arm strength and perceived upside but some of the best QB's of all time are not as athletic as Jones.

I am changing my mind and actually think they are now taking Jones over Lance.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:43 pm

I do believe you brought up Mac at 3 to SF, Billy... He's just asking why they would go all the way to 3 for a guy who probably won't be drafted top 10

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Vontae Mack no matter what

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:06 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:43 pm

I do believe you brought up Mac at 3 to SF, Billy... He's just asking why they would go all the way to 3 for a guy who probably won't be drafted top 10
Damn. I didn’t promote Jones to SF at 1.03. Some notable tuned in draft experts are saying that, including Simms who is Shanahan’s BFF - and I clearly stated that. Some of you just love creating your own narrative.

The question you just asked is the same one I asked earlier. Thanks for paying attention.

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 am I think the NFC west should be allowed to get all four teams into the playoffs... hands down the best division in football.
Agreed!
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:27 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:59 am Philly had new coaching staff and Rams were not a good team. SF wants to make the playoffs, they are not in the middle of a rebuild.

2. Rams were 6-10 - 7-9 for 4 years prior to Goff's rookie season and Jeff Fisher was very active about making the playoffs, "I'm not f---ing going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 ... we have too much talent here for that," Fisher said during an episode of HBO's Hard Knocks. "We had some 7-9 s--t this morning and we can't have that. ... That is 7-9 bulls--t and we don't need it." They didn't draft Goff with the expectation he wouldn't start on day 1 just because they were a bad team...

When the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes they were a playoff team with an incumbent QB.

The idea that the 49ers won't draft Lance because he's a project and they're a strong team is just a narrative that doesn't align with historic precedence.

Trey Lance is the least pro ready QB to ever enter the league?? That's a very bold statement considering we haven't seen a year of improvement and he was a relatively advanced freshman QB.
Honestly, I have zero understanding of your reference to Sam Bradford. The dude started 14 games for a regime that got fired. The new regime had zero interest in him.

KC is a much better example. They were certainly a strong playoff team that drafted a QB and sat him to learn. However, Alex Smith was widely viewed as the reason for KC being held back and he was nearly mid 30s. This situation is not comparable to SF. SF has a young Garrapollo who when last healthy took SF to the friggin Super Bowl. However, SF has made it crystal clear they want to move on from him. I do not think SF will hold onto Garrapollo to draft a developmental QB in Trey Lance who clearly is not ready to start week 1 of the 2021 season. Nor do I think SF will bridge a developmental QB for a player like Nick Mullens because that would be throwing away the 2021 season for the sake of developing a QB. Hence, I think it's perfectly reasonably to think Mac Jones is the QB SF is targeting as he is the most pro ready QB given SF choices at 1.03.

That's all. You like Trey Lance. That's cool, but I don't think he'll be the pick at 1.03 for SF.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm
Sriracha wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:27 pm

Honestly, I have zero understanding of your reference to Sam Bradford. The dude started 14 games for a regime that got fired. The new regime had zero interest in him.

KC is a much better example. They were certainly a strong playoff team that drafted a QB and sat him to learn. However, Alex Smith was widely viewed as the reason for KC being held back and he was nearly mid 30s. This situation is not comparable to SF. SF has a young Garrapollo who when last healthy took SF to the friggin Super Bowl. However, SF has made it crystal clear they want to move on from him. I do not think SF will hold onto Garrapollo to draft a developmental QB in Trey Lance who clearly is not ready to start week 1 of the 2021 season. Nor do I think SF will bridge a developmental QB for a player like Nick Mullens because that would be throwing away the 2021 season for the sake of developing a QB. Hence, I think it's perfectly reasonably to think Mac Jones is the QB SF is targeting as he is the most pro ready QB given SF choices at 1.03.

That's all. You like Trey Lance. That's cool, but I don't think he'll be the pick at 1.03 for SF.
Sam Bradford was widely expected to be their starting QB. The Vikings had strong playoff aspirations and had their starting QB suffer a career threatening injury during training camp on a freak non-contact play -- so they paid the Eagles what amounted to a 1st and 2nd round pick for him.

The Eagles were not in a rush to jettison Bradford out of the building. The Vikings overpaid to pry him from their roster.

Garoppolo is also seen as being the limiting factor for this team; That's why the 49ers traded 2 future 1sts and a 3rd to move up 9 spots to select a QB!

I actually agree that it could be Mac Jones... but it could very easily be Lance, as well.

I really don't feel like I'm being unreasonable with anything I've said here.. If anything it's clear that you are so dismissive of Lance because you don't like him. So much so that you're creating a narrative to explain away this possibility...