Brees Retires

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Brees Retires

Postby mild » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:05 pm

TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:53 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm
TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm In a salary cap/contract league, I was able to sign Winston super cheap when he went to New Orleans in the hopes for this day (Brees retires, Winston becomes starter) but I’m also confused. I knew that Taysom had a good chance to be the starter, but I don’t know what to make of the 4 year/140 million non-guaranteed contract.
That sounds ominous until you hear that the signing bonus part of the $140M is a hair less than $10M. This looks a lot more like smoke and mirrors aimed at clearing cap space.
I’ll have to take a look at the details of the contract. I don’t know why the Saints wouldn’t just pay Taysom a 2 year deal worth 22 millionish.
I don’t understand the astronomical $140M yet.
It's spread out over dummy years at the back end, and the entire contract is voidable at any time. It's basically all funny money, and completely hilarious to me.

Saints once again proving that the cap is more of a "concept" to them rather than a line in the sand :lol:

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Brees Retires

Postby cantguardjake » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 pm

TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:53 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm
TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm In a salary cap/contract league, I was able to sign Winston super cheap when he went to New Orleans in the hopes for this day (Brees retires, Winston becomes starter) but I’m also confused. I knew that Taysom had a good chance to be the starter, but I don’t know what to make of the 4 year/140 million non-guaranteed contract.
That sounds ominous until you hear that the signing bonus part of the $140M is a hair less than $10M. This looks a lot more like smoke and mirrors aimed at clearing cap space.
I’ll have to take a look at the details of the contract. I don’t know why the Saints wouldn’t just pay Taysom a 2 year deal worth 22 millionish.
I don’t understand the astronomical $140M yet.
It’s highly unlikely but there’s a non 0% chance that Hill outperforms a 22 mill contract next year, which is why he wouldn’t agree to it as he’d technically be contracted for that amount (the Saints don’t have to void).

Easier for both parties to use a value that is comfortably above Hill’s value (but also not meme worthy eg making it the highest paid contract of all time).