Brees Retires

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Brees Retires

Postby thebeast » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:59 pm

We all knew this was coming, but what do we make of this?

Taysom Hill and New Orleans Saints agree on a 'four-year, $140M contract' https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/29 ... ct-ext.php

Jameis Winston ‘the likely starter’ for Saints according to Ian Rapoport https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/29 ... poport.php

I’m so confused

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Brees Retires

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:10 pm

I guess the language in Hill's contract makes it voidable at any point, and there's not a ton of guaranteed money. They want him back, but aren't truly committing to him. I would imagine Winston signs back with New Orleans, and there's some sort of competition. If I had to guess, I'd assume Winston starts, but Hill keeps doing his thing of coming in for a few series a game as well as stealing work in the red zone.

Brees was fun to watch. Hate to see the great ones have to step away. But I'm glad he didn't try to play another year. I don't think the team wanted him to come back, and he probably would have looked more like 2020 Rivers than prime Brees. HOF'er for sure.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm

I put my money on Jameis Winston to be the week 1 starter at QB.

The Saint just keep pushing salary into future years. If I were them, I'd start a rebuild right now rather than keep trying to be a loaded team. They've shown they can build.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Marcus Mariota is a better fit in New Orleans than either of these guys.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 pm Marcus Mariota is a better fit in New Orleans than either of these guys.
That could be true. The Saints sure are in a bad place cap-wise though. Not sure if the Raiders are trading him or not (you'd think they'd be open to it). But if New Orleans could make it work I'd agree I like Mariota over Winston, with Hill still doing his change-of-pace thing.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Kelldon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Kelldon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:48 pm

As a Saints fan I am hoping it is Winston. With the recent moves the past 2-3 days the Saints are not much over the cap now.
Twitter: @Kelldon83
Fffaceoff.com
Band of Brothers - 10team ppr/idp 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1K, 3LB, 3DE, 3DB, 1Def Flex

Championships: 2010, 2015, 2017, 2021
QB: Wilson, Murray, Mac Jones
RB: Kamara, Swift, Chubb, Mixon, A. Ekeler, Dameon Pierce, K. Hunt, G. Edwards, Brian Robinson, K. Herbert
WR: Deebo, Nuk, MT13, A.Robinson, Golladay, C. Samuel, M. Pittman, C. Patterson, P. Campbell, J. Washington
TE: M. Andrews, Goedert, Taysom Hill
K: Tucker

TheBelgian
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TheBelgian » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm

In a salary cap/contract league, I was able to sign Winston super cheap when he went to New Orleans in the hopes for this day (Brees retires, Winston becomes starter) but I’m also confused. I knew that Taysom had a good chance to be the starter, but I don’t know what to make of the 4 year/140 million non-guaranteed contract.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm

TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm In a salary cap/contract league, I was able to sign Winston super cheap when he went to New Orleans in the hopes for this day (Brees retires, Winston becomes starter) but I’m also confused. I knew that Taysom had a good chance to be the starter, but I don’t know what to make of the 4 year/140 million non-guaranteed contract.
That sounds ominous until you hear that the signing bonus part of the $140M is a hair less than $10M. This looks a lot more like smoke and mirrors aimed at clearing cap space.

TheBelgian
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TheBelgian » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm
TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm In a salary cap/contract league, I was able to sign Winston super cheap when he went to New Orleans in the hopes for this day (Brees retires, Winston becomes starter) but I’m also confused. I knew that Taysom had a good chance to be the starter, but I don’t know what to make of the 4 year/140 million non-guaranteed contract.
That sounds ominous until you hear that the signing bonus part of the $140M is a hair less than $10M. This looks a lot more like smoke and mirrors aimed at clearing cap space.
I’ll have to take a look at the details of the contract. I don’t know why the Saints wouldn’t just pay Taysom a 2 year deal worth 22 millionish.
I don’t understand the astronomical $140M yet.

Kelldon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Kelldon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm

From Spotrac:

TRANSLATION:

A 1 year, $12.159M restructure contract with 4 voidable years to spread out a $9.6M signing bonus. The new deal carries an $8.4M cap hit, clearing $7.44M of space for the #Saints.

Contract was just a way of them shuffling mi eye and freeing cap space.
Twitter: @Kelldon83
Fffaceoff.com
Band of Brothers - 10team ppr/idp 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1K, 3LB, 3DE, 3DB, 1Def Flex

Championships: 2010, 2015, 2017, 2021
QB: Wilson, Murray, Mac Jones
RB: Kamara, Swift, Chubb, Mixon, A. Ekeler, Dameon Pierce, K. Hunt, G. Edwards, Brian Robinson, K. Herbert
WR: Deebo, Nuk, MT13, A.Robinson, Golladay, C. Samuel, M. Pittman, C. Patterson, P. Campbell, J. Washington
TE: M. Andrews, Goedert, Taysom Hill
K: Tucker

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:59 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm
TheBelgian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm
The 4 years for $140MM is exactly smoke and mirrors as it’s completely voidable after every year. He gets the $12.2MM he’s owed for 2021, which includes the signing bonus of $9.7MM, so clears up $7.5MM against the cap just for 2021. I also read there’s a framework in place for a rework of the deal next offseason if he does well this year. At any rate, there’s really nothing to see here aside from a bit of extra cap space...they’re not paying him $35MM a year to be in a QB competition with Winston.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:10 am

I’d say the $140 mill figure is based on the ceiling of current QB contracts (ie top 5, identical to Wilson). If Taysom performs they will simply void the remaining years and renegotiate an appropriate contract, but I’d say the maximum value figure was used out of fairness to Taysom.

Eg the Saints theoretically could have used a figure like $40 million ($10 mill over 4 years on average) however if Taysom performs he’s under contract for that amount next year and in the future, and technically the Saints don’t have to void the future years, so Taysom has been sold short (if his play demands a contract above that amount).

Using $140 million is just an easy benchmark to set that is obviously above Taysoms value, that can be voided and renegotiated if required (rather than using a figure that is too low), allowing them to defer the cap hit on the signing bonus until next year without potentially negatively impacting Taysom.

Loomis actually isn’t trolling like Twitter would have you believe :D

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:34 am

cantguardjake wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:10 am I’d say the $140 mill figure is based on the ceiling of current QB contracts (ie top 5, identical to Wilson). If Taysom performs they will simply void the remaining years and renegotiate an appropriate contract, but I’d say the maximum value figure was used out of fairness to Taysom.

Eg the Saints theoretically could have used a figure like $40 million ($10 mill over 4 years on average) however if Taysom performs he’s under contract for that amount next year and in the future, and technically the Saints don’t have to void the future years, so Taysom has been sold short (if his play demands a contract above that amount).

Using $140 million is just an easy benchmark to set that is obviously above Taysoms value, that can be voided and renegotiated if required (rather than using a figure that is too low), allowing them to defer the cap hit on the signing bonus until next year without potentially negatively impacting Taysom.

Loomis actually isn’t trolling like Twitter would have you believe :D
Exactly, if a player performs above expectation they have almost no power other than just not playing and not getting paid. But if they crash and burn teams just cut them. This gives both player and team an option

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:07 am

Yeah if there weren't a cap reason for it, that would be the worst contract I think I've ever seen in the NFL.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:41 am

Brees was a great QB. He will be missed.

Hill's deal is simply to clear cap space this year. They basically deferred money to next year with slight of hand but legal NFL accounting. The contract means nothing.

Voidable years is a thing.

Dak's contract is actually 6 years as an example but the last 2 are voidable just to spread out the money on the cap. Hill's restructure is nothing different just on a micro scale given the Saints are so upside down they are turning over every rock to free cap space. That 20 million league wide cap reduction this year really hurt a lot of teams.

I expect to see a lot of 1 year FA deals in the coming weeks as collectively teams simply don't have much cap space.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts