RIP Vincent Jackson

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RIP Vincent Jackson

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:06 pm

A real shame. Only 38 years old and I remember him being a really solid player for several years. Hadn't thought about him in a while until I heard the news this afternoon. Hope his family is doing OK. I imagine we'll hear more about the story within the next couple of weeks.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: RIP Vincent Jackson

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:34 pm

A favorite of mine.

I'd always be in a hole after the early Sunday games, then the Rivers to Jackson connection would bring me right back.

A great deep threat who could out jump most DBs.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:36 pm

So sad. He was very good and underrated imo. 38 is way too soon.

Fun to watch in SD and then Tampa. The Bucs drafting Evans was like them giving the ultimate praise to VJAX. Very similar players in stature. I couldn't imagine being a CB and having to guard either of the 2, let alone both when they played together

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:21 pm

RIP VJ...Thank you for the awesome highlights, memories, and fantasy Ws! 38 is far too young.
The Highwaymen
πŸ† 2020, 2021, 2022
πŸ₯ˆ 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 am

Most importantly he was a classy guy. He did a ton for the community. He was Tampa Bayβ€˜s man of the year four times. He did a lot to help veterans families.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Strange at the end living in a hotel for a month & the family filed missing persons and a wellness check w/ authorities right before his death.
Ryan Leaf wrote a scathing commentary on the NFL not helping former players w/ mental & physical health problems after hearing this news. Wonder what went wrongπŸ˜ͺ

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm

I was listening to a podcast today that was recorded like two weeks ago about players making a level leap (Chris Harris' podcast) and they were talking about Chase Claypool and making a VJax comparison (which I kinda see). Weird that a podcast from 2-3 weeks ago mentioned him but even weirder is I haven't been listening to too many podcasts since I've been working from home (no 45 min car ride each way) and I randomly picked that podcast to listen to! Weird timing.

That said, I loved VJax...I could be down 30 and he would either help me win by scoring 35 or only score 3.5 so I didn't have to stress about other lineup decisions lol. In my main league he holds a special place in our hearts because our one owner has probably made 5 trades (total) in the span of 25 years and the last trade he made (literally) was in 2011 when he traded me Larry Fitzgerald for Vincent Jackson right before the season!
BERLIN BOMBERS (11 – 3)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (7 – 7)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow | Kyler Murray
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2023 Regular Season Record: 218 – 106

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:15 pm

rip Vincent Jackson πŸ’

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 pm

cazzie33 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm Strange at the end living in a hotel for a month & the family filed missing persons and a wellness check w/ authorities right before his death.
Ryan Leaf wrote a scathing commentary on the NFL not helping former players w/ mental & physical health problems after hearing this news. Wonder what went wrongπŸ˜ͺ
I thought the same. I hate to speculate on this stuff but he was 38, good health, helping the community and by all accounts a family man. A month in a hotel, missing person report and death just don't compute

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 pm

R.I.P but details should emerge.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Kind of what I was alluding to without coming out and saying it.

The circumstances surrounding his passing are certainly a little suspicious/unusual. And I'm sure we'll learn more with an autopsy and toxicology reports. But yeah, 38 years old in a hotel room, we've seen similar stories before, and they generally don't involve natural causes.

Agree with what cazzie said. The league doesn't do a great job of supporting these players once their on-field usefulness wanes. Some of these guys just don't know what to do with themselves when the game is over for them and it's sad. Maybe some mentoring, job training, better pension plan, or something to help them after football? A 4-time NFL Man of The Year shouldn't go out like that...

And frankly, maybe it shouldn't be something that happens only after a player's career is over. How about more rigorous financial training/advice while they're earning those fat checks? Prepare the players for the end of their career before they reach that point. Maybe that would help some of these guys have better outcomes when their playing days are over.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 am

Saw this on Twitter.
Attachments
VJax.JPG
VJax.JPG (31.07 KiB) Viewed 2508 times

jordanzs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm

CTE was my first thoughts. That would not be a fun thing to live with

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 pm

Man, clearly CTE is no joke.

We'll never know if the drinking was a way of trying to cope with the brain injury, or just its own separate issue. But it sure is sad that a guy who did a lot of good for others, and entertained us on Sundays had such a solitary and sad ending to his life at such a young age. I sure hope they can find a way to eliminate concussions someday. These stories about former players untimely ends and the permanent damage they sometimes suffer makes me feel a little guilty. They're modern day gladiators in some ways, though paid handsomely for their sacrifices. Still, at what point does the financial gain not outweigh the physical, and mental risks.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: ↑Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 pm These stories about former players untimely ends and the permanent damage they sometimes suffer makes me feel a little guilty.
I've felt that way too. NFL football is my favorite past time, so it's a paradox. The good news is that even if they can't prevent all concussions, awareness of them and CTE is greatly increasing, so they can be ready with diagnosis and help.