Super Bowl LV Thread

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Super Bowl LV Thread

Postby CGW » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:55 am

Ice wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:35 am The hate for CEH is approaching comical status. It's like children being mad because they didn't get their way. CEH was easily the 2nd most productive player last night on the Chiefs without the critical drop like their best player last night.

Obviously the banged up Chief's O-line was Swiss cheese with Mahomes under more pressure than any QB in SB History so complaining about a player that averaged 7.1 rushing on his 9 carries and contributed 87 total yards sounds ridiculous.

CEH didn't create the game plan and KC's coaching was a bit arrogant in not running way more often against a cover 2 shell defensive concept; CEH actually was one of the only bright spots on the Chiefs last night.
I'm with you. Some of these comments bashing CEH are hilarious. If the Chiefs had Alvin Kamara instead of CEH last night they still lose by 3 scores. Sure he had a disappointing fantasy season for some expecting him to be the 1.01 overall, but he was largely effective when used - even last night. The problem is entirely in the game plan.

Andy Reid is brilliant, but he gets in his own way sometimes, as most coaches do. Over the past two seasons they've trailed by double digits in almost every playoff game they've had. That's not the recipe for success. If they want to maximize Mahommes career, they will learn to establish the run and not rely on Mahommes's greatness every game.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:20 am

with that offensive line it is hard to do something, but you can try at least. the chiefs didn't. most boring super bowl in a while.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:27 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:20 am with that offensive line it is hard to do something, but you can try at least. the chiefs didn't. most boring super bowl in a while.
I thought the first half was good, by halftime it was pretty much a wrap.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:34 am

nathanq42 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:27 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:20 am with that offensive line it is hard to do something, but you can try at least. the chiefs didn't. most boring super bowl in a while.
I thought the first half was good, by halftime it was pretty much a wrap.
Hahaha now I understand why all those people looked like idiots wearing those face bandage wraps at the halftime show! :D
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am

Please, the refs didn't decide this game. According to @NextGenStats, Patrick Mahomes ran a total of 497 yards before his passes/sacks in the #SuperBowl

That is DOMINANCE by a defensive line
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:37 am

CEH was great yesterday. His recovered well from his injury.

I'm frustrated that Mahomes didn't go to CEH more often. He only had what, two targets? The Bucs were hell bent on defending Hill, leaving the underneath and middle of the field wide open (Kelce had a big game). CEH could have been used more than he was, and would have helped slow down that pass rush and therefore the linemen who were obviously struggling.

Very odd play calling imo.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:43 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:00 pm Chiefs draft a RB in the first round

Barely run the ball all season

Oddly enough, running the ball is how you can beat a team that's going two deep and doubling the middle of the field. They know you're throwing, so just sit back, don't blitz, and cover.
Yeah, this 100%.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:00 pm Chiefs draft a RB in the first round

Barely run the ball all season

Oddly enough, running the ball is how you can beat a team that's going two deep and doubling the middle of the field. They know you're throwing, so just sit back, don't blitz, and cover.
To be fair that only works if your Dline can get consistent pressure without the blitz... Coming from a Seahawks fan, a WR will eventually get open if you cant force the ball out of the QB's hands quick enough
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Footballisacoolsport
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Footballisacoolsport » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:39 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am Please, the refs didn't decide this game. According to @NextGenStats, Patrick Mahomes ran a total of 497 yards before his passes/sacks in the #SuperBowl

I don't think I've ever heard that stat brought up/counted before, but that is a staggering number of yards. His timing and vision are remarkable, he always knows exactly how long he has to throw when scrambling or exactly when he needs to step out of bounds.

It would be silly to say this was decided by refs. Chiefs had idiotic penalties and yet people are blaming the refs instead of, you know, the guys that committed the penalties at the most inopportune times. Most of the calls were textbook. How players ever line up offsides is beyond me. :wall:

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am

Footballisacoolsport wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:39 am
murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am Please, the refs didn't decide this game. According to @NextGenStats, Patrick Mahomes ran a total of 497 yards before his passes/sacks in the #SuperBowl

I don't think I've ever heard that stat brought up/counted before, but that is a staggering number of yards. His timing and vision are remarkable, he always knows exactly how long he has to throw when scrambling or exactly when he needs to step out of bounds.

It would be silly to say this was decided by refs. Chiefs had idiotic penalties and yet people are blaming the refs instead of, you know, the guys that committed the penalties at the most inopportune times. Most of the calls were textbook. How players ever line up offsides is beyond me. :wall:
Yeah, every one of the penalties was a penalty...and most were dumb penalties (looking at Tyann Mathieu). The only one I thought was a bit much was on Bradys interception, but even that was a penalty just a soft one. The penalties were lopsided because one team committed them and the other didnt. That is usually an excuse used by the team getting outplayed.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:37 am I'm frustrated that Mahomes didn't go to CEH more often. He only had what, two targets? The Bucs were hell bent on defending Hill, leaving the underneath and middle of the field wide open (Kelce had a big game). CEH could have been used more than he was, and would have helped slow down that pass rush and therefore the linemen who were obviously struggling.
Good point. Kelce did really well despite that killer drop in the first quarter. CEH would've eaten up yardage and slowed down the pass rush if they'd used him as a receiver out of the backfield. Use the short game to open up the long game.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:37 am I'm frustrated that Mahomes didn't go to CEH more often. He only had what, two targets? The Bucs were hell bent on defending Hill, leaving the underneath and middle of the field wide open (Kelce had a big game). CEH could have been used more than he was, and would have helped slow down that pass rush and therefore the linemen who were obviously struggling.
Good point. Kelce did really well despite that killer drop in the first quarter. CEH would've eaten up yardage and slowed down the pass rush if they'd used him as a receiver out of the backfield. Use the short game to open up the long game.
Maybe, I also believe KC would've been closer if the receivers didn't have so many TDs doink off their hands/helmet after Mahomes successfully played Hero Ball. If their punter didn't shank so many punts. If Kelce/Hill didn't uncharacteristically drop crucial 3rd down conversion passes.

People can make any excuse they want, but it looked more like a choke job by KC (aside from Mahomes, Butker) than anything else.

CEH played well, but I do think a faster RB (Like Swift, Taylor, Dobbins) scores on his 26 yard scamper. If that happens the score is 13-21 TB instead of the 9-21 score they get after settling for a field goal on that drive... which would've been a huge momentum shift that might've changed the outcome of the game.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Someone mentioned the Seahawks earlier, and I can say this Super Bowl yesterday looked a lot like the last two months of football we watched here in the Pacific Northwest. As everyone knows, our offensive line isn't great, and hasn't been for years. It's why Russ's mobility is so key to moving the offense. Mahomes looked a lot like Wilson last night, running for his life behind a patchwork offensive line that couldn't give him time to throw.

Couple that with a cover-2 meant to keep everything in the shallow/mid part of the field, and they took away KC's speed. Hill and Hardman weren't able to do much against that coverage just as DK and Lockett weren't able to for much of the 2nd-half of 2020. And much like the Chiefs refused to use their RB's for quick screens and passes out to the flat, Seattle also refused to use their RB's in that fashion, or take what the defense gave them in the short/mid-range passing game. It added up to a futile, ugly offense that was unable to score points.

The penalties certainly didn't help. This really felt like deja'-vu for me. Rooting for a team that was unable to play to their strengths (as they were negated by the defense they faced) and unable or unwilling to adapt to what they saw on the fly. While I acknowledge that we really have no idea just how much Mahomes foot was bothering him, it still didn't appear that he got much help from the coaching staff. Reid and company didn't make significant adjustments to their failing game plan, didn't have a very good plan to start with it appeared. Who didn't expect them to try and double Hill/Kelce on nearly every play? Apparently the Chiefs didn't...

What a disappointing end to what was otherwise a pretty entertaining season. On to 2021! And though I don't want to, I have to give credit to Brady. I begrudgingly admit that he truly is the best QB to ever play the game. Hats off to you GOAT, truly a unique individual.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:51 pm

The Super Bowl logo was bugging me all game. Why put the trophy in the middle so it looks like Super Bowl LIV when it’s LV?
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:36 pm

CEH played well, but I do think a faster RB (Like Swift, Taylor, Dobbins) scores on his 26 yard scamper. If that happens the score is 13-21 TB instead of the 9-21 score they get after settling for a field goal on that drive... which would've been a huge momentum shift that might've changed the outcome of the game.
So I rewatched this to make sure my memory was accurate. I am as big of a CEH hater as there is, but he had no chance to break that run. Two defenders took the absolute perfect angles. Speed would not have mattered
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts