Minnesota Vikings 2020 plans

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Minnesota Vikings 2020 plans

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Cousins in 2019:

26/6 TD-INT
8.1 YPA
69.1 completion %
7.6 intended air yards per attempt
3,603 passing yards

Cousins is never going to be a QB who carries your team, but he can be a good QB, and certainly better than what he's shown.

To me the issue remains that Zimmer is a dinosaur of a head coach, who wants to hide Cousins instead of playing to his strengths as a passer. Kubiak's playcalling also doesn't seem to fit what Cousins wants to do. How do you have two really good WRs in Thielen and Jefferson, yet Cousins doesn't have one game with 40+ passing attempts all year? If the Vikings wanted to be a ball control team, they shouldn't have went out and got Cousins. Cousins is not a game manager.

Also, their defense is in a clear rebuild with a young secondary.

So, while Cousins is a problem and having his worst year as a Viking, I don't see how he's the problem. They need to revamp the coaching staff.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:26 pm Cousins in 2019:

26/6 TD-INT
8.1 YPA
69.1 completion %
7.6 intended air yards per attempt
3,603 passing yards

Cousins is never going to be a QB who carries your team, but he can be a good QB, and certainly better than what he's shown.

To me the issue remains that Zimmer is a dinosaur of a head coach, who wants to hide Cousins instead of playing to his strengths as a passer. Kubiak's playcalling also doesn't seem to fit what Cousins wants to do. How do you have two really good WRs in Thielen and Jefferson, yet Cousins doesn't have one game with 40+ passing attempts all year? If the Vikings wanted to be a ball control team, they shouldn't have went out and got Cousins. Cousins is not a game manager.

Also, their defense is in a clear rebuild with a young secondary.

So, while Cousins is a problem and having his worst year as a Viking, I don't see how he's the problem. They need to revamp the coaching staff.
Did you read the SB article and see the split in his performance between teams above and below .500?

He pads his stats against bad teams, so looking at them in aggregate doesn’t tell the full story.

Could be that coaching isn’t capable of overcoming better teams. And of course this year the defense isn’t keeping them in games.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:42 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 pm
Did you read the SB article and see the split in his performance between teams above and below .500?

He pads his stats against bad teams, so looking at them in aggregate doesn’t tell the full story.

Could be that coaching isn’t capable of overcoming better teams. And of course this year the defense isn’t keeping them in games.
I just don't like looking at it that way, because it assumes everything is perfect and the only factor is whether Cousins is going to beat a good team or not.

Sure, there have absolutely been games where Cousins folding is the biggest reason his team lost, but the Vikings of the last three years have not been title contenders. They're a very flawed team with or without Cousins, and to me, Zimmer is a coach who wants a QB to win his way instead of playing to the QBs strengths.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Cousins record against winning teams is a popular stay to throw against him. But what is Aaron Rodgers record? Russell Wilson's? Drew Brees'? Are we assuming they're all fantastic?

If I recall correctly, Rodgers' was like 0.400. I'd love to see a complete comparison rather than Cousins' alone.

Remember when Peyton Manning couldn't win in the playoffs? The sample size is too small for a team game to draw meaningful conclusions about a QB.
Last edited by Pac_Eddy on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Those are good points. For clarity they aren’t comparing his W/L record they are comparing his QBR, which would be more on his shoulders than the actual win loss tally.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm Those are good points. For clarity they aren’t comparing his W/L record they are comparing his QBR, which would be more on his shoulders than the actual win loss tally.
My suspicion is that this is true of most QBs, to some degree.

DYAR adjusts for the quality of defenses played against. In Minnesota, Cousins has ranked 13th, 7th, and 22nd (this year) in his time in Minnesota. I feel like this is exactly what you get for Cousins’ contract on the free agent market.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:56 am

League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:58 am

So basically they are up sh@t creek, any way you slice it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:12 am

They just have to find a way to salvage that deal. Fire Zimmer, bring in Joe Brady or Eric Bienemy to get more out of the offense.