Players sitting out 2020

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Players sitting out 2020

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:18 am

millworkguy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 am As I've posted elsewhere, 2 baseball games canceled for this evening, as 14 Marlins tested positive
Was going to post that too. However it should be noted that the Yankees Phillies game is cancelled because they want to fumigate the visitors locker room (where the Marlin's just were). Football for fortunately not have to have the second game cancelled presumably given the length of times between games (1 week vs 1 day). But still, yes games can be postponed/canceled. Probably ultimately harder for NFL to reschedule than MLB who could just potentially schedule a future double header or cancel the game as a whole.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 am

abloom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:18 am
millworkguy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 am As I've posted elsewhere, 2 baseball games canceled for this evening, as 14 Marlins tested positive
Was going to post that too. However it should be noted that the Yankees Phillies game is cancelled because they want to fumigate the visitors locker room (where the Marlin's just were). Football for fortunately not have to have the second game cancelled presumably given the length of times between games (1 week vs 1 day). But still, yes games can be postponed/canceled. Probably ultimately harder for NFL to reschedule than MLB who could just potentially schedule a future double header or cancel the game as a whole.

True, but 14 Marlins is what, 50% of the team? How do they not cancel 2 weeks worth of games by tomorrow afternoon.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:38 am

millworkguy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 am
abloom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:18 am

True, but 14 Marlins is what, 50% of the team? How do they not cancel 2 weeks worth of games by tomorrow afternoon.
Very good point. Will be interesting to see what goes on.

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 am

dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 am On the statements about players wearing full cloth facemasks while playing (not sure if it was just JJ Watt or others as well who spoke about it)
it's not cloth facemasks

not that these wouldn't be uncomfortable, mind.

what i find a bit odd is that for what i've read, players want to play, and also want to be safe, understandably.
however, i'm not sure how they expect to be safe in a sport like football, short of wearing full diving suits or season-long complete isolation.
it's seems like they want a full barrel and a drunk wife...

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:22 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 am
dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 am On the statements about players wearing full cloth facemasks while playing (not sure if it was just JJ Watt or others as well who spoke about it)
it's not cloth facemasks

what i find a bit odd is that for what i've read, players want to play, and also want to be safe, understandably.
however, i'm not sure how they expect to be safe in a sport like football, short of wearing full diving suits or season-long complete isolation.
Doesn't everyone???

Honestly, I can see why JJ is saying no chance on wearing a plexiglass visor. Put that on and create a hotbox in 90+ degrees where you're panting more than a Siberian Husky on the beach in Arizona. It was a nice start, but there has to be a better option.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:28 am

This thread is not at all what I expected it to be - definitely way worse. Nobody has a right to decide what a player should do because they want entertainment. The NFL is not some cultural panacea - I don't think it will in any way improve division in the US.

There are a lot of misconceptions about risk etc as well as about infectious disease floating around the world. Young people are at greatly reduced risk of death. It's not zero. I think very low risk of death is still scary when we are talking about death.

Furthermore there has been a lot of comparison to the flu. This virus is probably similar to what we would see annually with flu if we didn't have vaccines. People still die of flu yearly (more than you think even) but it's drastically lower than without vaccination. It's very likely that going forward COVID becomes a more seasonal virus that is kept relatively controlled by annual vaccination. Until then we should do everything we can to control it, reduce death and reduce burden on the health care system. If that means you can't watch giants in spandex smashing into each other this year so be it.

Players have a right to feel safe. But I agree they should understand that it is basically impossible to keep them safe and play football. Unless they want to play flag football this season and wear full face shields, it just isn't going to be safe. That said it's not hypocritical for one player to say they want safety assurance when another guy said he doesn't want to wear a mask. But it is unrealistic. And that doesn't even account for the coaching staff. Or the support personnel who sure as hell aren't making millions per year. But they probably don't want to get sick or bring it back to their families.

I think that about covers it. We should probably have a thread to track players who have confirmed they are sitting out. That's what everyone came to this one for initially anyway I'm sure.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:46 am

abloom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 am
Yarnith wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm
abloom wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

That's like saying small pox and the plague are still around and pop up with regularity
Or Influenza right? Small pox and the Bubonic plague aren't so bad because the people most vulnerable to them were killed off when those disease swept the vulnerable populations.
Well it appears you don't understand anything about this. Makes sense given your posts. Please do not try to pass on your "information" as facts. Small pox is incredibly deadly, it is only not affecting people because of massive vaccination campaigns that essentially reduced the amount of occurrences to nothing. Plague was reduced to nothing due to improvements in hygiene and understanding of what animals are hosts. It still pops up from time to time (see Mongolia recently) but is no longer the threat it once was. These are certainly not threats because the vulnerable populations died off.

I have no idea why you think influenza isn't around. Thats always around. Furthermore there is no evidence that covid19 will become like influenza.
I apparently understand it far more than you do. Small Pox is deadly however the vast majority of the world has been exposed to it multiple times. Thanks to European colonialism, vaccines have done a great job limiting its impact to 3rd world countries however the most susceptible people suffered early and first so the current population is made up of the more resistant people.

The bubonic plague or as you called it the "plague" is also only not widespread because those who were susceptible to it also fell victim to it and those resistant are still here. My point is precisely that Influenza or "the Spanish flu" is still here and once was every bit as deadly and widespread as Covid. It only ended as a pandemic because those infected either developed immunities to that strain or died. The disease has never gone away anymore than small pox or the Bubonic plague has. I don't see what you think is going to happen with Covid by citing how other pandemics have played out precisely like I said.

Corona has been known to be in the human population since the 1960's it is only this latest strain of the disease discovered in 2019(covid-19) that it has garnered worldwide attention among the general public. This strain is more contagious than previous but the disease is nothing new.

So everything I said is factual. We cant sit in a bunker underground until someone finds a vaccine at some unknown date. You will be exposed, just as you are exposed to every other disease you have talked about regularly. You just don't contract the disease because vaccines or natural immunity.

This is far off topic at this point so I am done with it. Use safe practices, be smart out there but live your life because you cant wait until the bad man goes away or live off the government and those who have to work forever.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 am

Yarnith wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:46 am
abloom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 am
Yarnith wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Or Influenza right? Small pox and the Bubonic plague aren't so bad because the people most vulnerable to them were killed off when those disease swept the vulnerable populations.
Well it appears you don't understand anything about this. Makes sense given your posts. Please do not try to pass on your "information" as facts. Small pox is incredibly deadly, it is only not affecting people because of massive vaccination campaigns that essentially reduced the amount of occurrences to nothing. Plague was reduced to nothing due to improvements in hygiene and understanding of what animals are hosts. It still pops up from time to time (see Mongolia recently) but is no longer the threat it once was. These are certainly not threats because the vulnerable populations died off.

I have no idea why you think influenza isn't around. Thats always around. Furthermore there is no evidence that covid19 will become like influenza.
I apparently understand it far more than you do. Small Pox is deadly however the vast majority of the world has been exposed to it multiple times. Thanks to European colonialism, vaccines have done a great job limiting its impact to 3rd world countries however the most susceptible people suffered early and first so the current population is made up of the more resistant people.

The bubonic plague or as you called it the "plague" is also only not widespread because those who were susceptible to it also fell victim to it and those resistant are still here. My point is precisely that Influenza or "the Spanish flu" is still here and once was every bit as deadly and widespread as Covid. It only ended as a pandemic because those infected either developed immunities to that strain or died. The disease has never gone away anymore than small pox or the Bubonic plague has. I don't see what you think is going to happen with Covid by citing how other pandemics have played out precisely like I said.

Corona has been known to be in the human population since the 1960's it is only this latest strain of the disease discovered in 2019(covid-19) that it has garnered worldwide attention among the general public. This strain is more contagious than previous but the disease is nothing new.

So everything I said is factual. We cant sit in a bunker underground until someone finds a vaccine at some unknown date. You will be exposed, just as you are exposed to every other disease you have talked about regularly. You just don't contract the disease because vaccines or natural immunity.

This is far off topic at this point so I am done with it. Use safe practices, be smart out there but live your life because you cant wait until the bad man goes away or live off the government and those who have to work forever.
https://www.who.int/csr/disease/smallpo ... 0in%201977.

Fail post is fail

But feel free to cite your sources if you have them.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:33 pm

it's not cloth facemasks

That definitely doesn't look as bad. I believe I saw a different iteration that was more of a fabric type material with the small vents stitched into the sides. But I do agree, I think no matter what if they want to actually play the game as we know it, they would need to obviously make concessions safety wise. And such is life that ultimately not everyone will agree with whatever guidelines get put in place.

As the season nears I think we'll see more big name players opting to not play, or at the very least voicing concerns/frustrations over some of the mitigations. I've heard/read elsewhere it may start becoming a divide in the league between players who have guaranteed contracts vs. those who don't driving where they stand on playing/not playing, season length, safety guidelines put in place, etc.

And let's not forget, even though we know players tend to make a ton of money playing, most of their career windows (especially in terms of high earning potential years) are incredibly short. Many of these guys are trying to make a typical person's 40-years worth of money in this window. Believe the last numbers I saw were ~3 year average career length with ~$7 million average earnings. Sounds like a lot of money, but not very easy to budget when you find yourself out of the league "retired" at 27 years old needing to make it last another 50-60 years. And a ridiculously high percentage of players go broke within a few years of "retirement". I think the average NFL player, the kinds of guys who's names don't show up on our top positional lists for dynasty, are already under immense pressure to get on the field and get their paycheck while they can. Probably don't need anymore pressure from us...

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm

dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:33 pm And let's not forget, even though we know players tend to make a ton of money playing, most of their career windows (especially in terms of high earning potential years) are incredibly short. Many of these guys are trying to make a typical person's 40-years worth of money in this window. Believe the last numbers I saw were ~3 year average career length with ~$7 million average earnings. Sounds like a lot of money, but not very easy to budget when you find yourself out of the league "retired" at 27 years old needing to make it last another 50-60 years. And a ridiculously high percentage of players go broke within a few years of "retirement". I think the average NFL player, the kinds of guys who's names don't show up on our top positional lists for dynasty, are already under immense pressure to get on the field and get their paycheck while they can. Probably don't need anymore pressure from us...
Geez, I never thought of it that way. Those poor guys.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 pm

I miss Skip & Phaded.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 pm I miss Skip & Phaded.
With MLB already falling apart at the seams, I think this thread will end up being a mute point, the players will have the decision made for them with the way things are going. I have my doubts the NFL gets through training camp at this rate. They would be wise to start thinking of a contingency plan to start the season late, say in November, and a shortened schedule.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 pm

dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:33 pm
it's not cloth facemasks

That definitely doesn't look as bad. I believe I saw a different iteration that was more of a fabric type material with the small vents stitched into the sides. But I do agree, I think no matter what if they want to actually play the game as we know it, they would need to obviously make concessions safety wise. And such is life that ultimately not everyone will agree with whatever guidelines get put in place.

As the season nears I think we'll see more big name players opting to not play, or at the very least voicing concerns/frustrations over some of the mitigations. I've heard/read elsewhere it may start becoming a divide in the league between players who have guaranteed contracts vs. those who don't driving where they stand on playing/not playing, season length, safety guidelines put in place, etc.

And let's not forget, even though we know players tend to make a ton of money playing, most of their career windows (especially in terms of high earning potential years) are incredibly short. Many of these guys are trying to make a typical person's 40-years worth of money in this window. Believe the last numbers I saw were ~3 year average career length with ~$7 million average earnings. Sounds like a lot of money, but not very easy to budget when you find yourself out of the league "retired" at 27 years old needing to make it last another 50-60 years. And a ridiculously high percentage of players go broke within a few years of "retirement". I think the average NFL player, the kinds of guys who's names don't show up on our top positional lists for dynasty, are already under immense pressure to get on the field and get their paycheck while they can. Probably don't need anymore pressure from us...
Don't forget to subtract 4-5% agents commission, 40-45% income tax (and they have to pay tax in every state they play and have someone do that for them) almost 50,000 a year in dues and profes fees to the nflpa, (15k union dues, 28k professional dues, equipment 4500).

So 7 mill, over 3 years,
280,000 agent
150,000 dues
2.8 mill taxes
Leaves you with 3.77 million or 95,000 a year for 40 years. And that's till your 66?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm
dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:33 pm And let's not forget, even though we know players tend to make a ton of money playing, most of their career windows (especially in terms of high earning potential years) are incredibly short. Many of these guys are trying to make a typical person's 40-years worth of money in this window. Believe the last numbers I saw were ~3 year average career length with ~$7 million average earnings. Sounds like a lot of money, but not very easy to budget when you find yourself out of the league "retired" at 27 years old needing to make it last another 50-60 years. And a ridiculously high percentage of players go broke within a few years of "retirement". I think the average NFL player, the kinds of guys who's names don't show up on our top positional lists for dynasty, are already under immense pressure to get on the field and get their paycheck while they can. Probably don't need anymore pressure from us...
Geez, I never thought of it that way. Those poor guys.
Guessing that's sarcasm. I get it's hard to have empathy for those in positions you're envious of, but I find trying to have a better understanding of others, no matter how different out situations, good for my own mental health. Everyone struggles in some way or another. Hope your anger/frustration on the situation dies off soon, especially seeing as you will in no way be able to have any impact on it whatsoever. Persistently pissy is not a fun way to go through life. :thumbup:

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:20 pm

millworkguy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 pm
dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:33 pm

it's not cloth facemasks

Don't forget to subtract 4-5% agents commission, 40-45% income tax (and they have to pay tax in every state they play and have someone do that for them) almost 50,000 a year in dues and profes fees to the nflpa, (15k union dues, 28k professional dues, equipment 4500).

So 7 mill, over 3 years,
280,000 agent
150,000 dues
2.8 mill taxes
Leaves you with 3.77 million or 95,000 a year for 40 years. And that's till your 66?
Glad someone gets it. I'm not saying we need to start a gofundme for them, but when everything is put in perspective, I don't think the current position they are in is what they worked their entire young adult lives for either. Little understanding can go a long way.