Players sitting out 2020

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Players sitting out 2020

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:21 am

Tvols wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm I work in health care and put at risk everyday , I have the option to quit but I cannot support my family if I do very interesting takes in this thread .im expected to put my family lives on the line everyday to take of the sick and do my job . MYbe more health care Workers should take this serious and stop working till the risk is gone . Just sayin I’m required to put others above my family cause I signed up for the job
As healthcare providers, we understand the risk that comes with the territory. Hopefully your facility has proper PPE.

Stay safe πŸ’ͺ
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 am

StripesOfKC wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm I agree a player has every right to sit out

But I find it hypocritical for them to complain about safety precautions in doing so while refusing to wear face shields and ignoring the NFLPA's suggestion to not participate in group practices this offseason.
Not sure Gurley participated in any group practices or refused a face shield.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:26 pm

ericanadian wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 am
StripesOfKC wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm I agree a player has every right to sit out

But I find it hypocritical for them to complain about safety precautions in doing so while refusing to wear face shields and ignoring the NFLPA's suggestion to not participate in group practices this offseason.
Was looking more at that fake clown JJ Watt

Don't think Gurley said anything about face shields; but considering he is moving teams, I imagine there is a very decent chance he participated in group practices (without looking it up or being certain of it)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:19 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:26 pm
ericanadian wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 am

Was looking more at that fake clown JJ Watt

Don't think Gurley said anything about face shields; but considering he is moving teams, I imagine there is a very decent chance he participated in group practices (without looking it up or being certain of it)
My guess would be otherwise given his knee issues and that only passed his physical in early June.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Covids not going anywhere, its not a storm or an earthquake that will "go away". The idea that we can all spend an indefinite amount of our lives wearing masks and living in a bunker in the woods seems to be the stance a lot of people pushing. You will be exposed at some point, the entire point of everything being done is to control the speed it spreads so as to not overwhelm medical facilities ability to treat you not isolate you like bubble boy. Life has to start moving, precautions and common sense should be used but time marches on.

I am all for the NFL trying to play a season. I am also all for players sitting out if they so choose. I choose to work however if I choose to not work I don't get paid. If a player sits out he is choosing to not work so shouldn't be paid. As a rule the NFLPA expects them to be paid season or not playing or not. To me that is the only issue with a player opting to sit out, in fairness they should also be opting out of their pay. Ultimately that is on the NFL and NFLPA to work out between them and I have no skin in that game outside my view of fairness created by personal values that say you work if you want paid or you don't get paid.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Yarnith wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:02 pm Covids not going anywhere, its not a storm or an earthquake that will "go away". The idea that we can all spend an indefinite amount of our lives wearing masks and living in a bunker in the woods seems to be the stance a lot of people pushing. You will be exposed at some point, the entire point of everything being done is to control the speed it spreads so as to not overwhelm medical facilities ability to treat you not isolate you like bubble boy. Life has to start moving, precautions and common sense should be used but time marches on.

I am all for the NFL trying to play a season. I am also all for players sitting out if they so choose. I choose to work however if I choose to not work I don't get paid. If a player sits out he is choosing to not work so shouldn't be paid. As a rule the NFLPA expects them to be paid season or not playing or not. To me that is the only issue with a player opting to sit out, in fairness they should also be opting out of their pay. Ultimately that is on the NFL and NFLPA to work out between them and I have no skin in that game outside my view of fairness created by personal values that say you work if you want paid or you don't get paid.
With that attitude you're right it's here to stay, but if everyone instead wore masks and isolated for a short period of time it would go away. You just have to look at the EU or countries that have successfully reduced infection to see that

Additionally you do have options to not work and get paid including FMLA (in the US). Or working for companies that will allow you to take more time off or work from home.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:36 pm

abloom wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:15 pm
Yarnith wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:02 pm Covids not going anywhere, its not a storm or an earthquake that will "go away". The idea that we can all spend an indefinite amount of our lives wearing masks and living in a bunker in the woods seems to be the stance a lot of people pushing. You will be exposed at some point, the entire point of everything being done is to control the speed it spreads so as to not overwhelm medical facilities ability to treat you not isolate you like bubble boy. Life has to start moving, precautions and common sense should be used but time marches on.

With that attitude you're right it's here to stay, but if everyone instead wore masks and isolated for a short period of time it would go away. You just have to look at the EU or countries that have successfully reduced infection to see that

Additionally you do have options to not work and get paid including FMLA (in the US). Or working for companies that will allow you to take more time off or work from home.
Its nothing about an attitude. It is still in the EU and it is still in other countries it simply slowed down infection rates. Like the flu it will continue to come back, spread, have runs of infection and burn out. I am not sure you citing my "attitude" with facts about how I am right means something?

I work in the grocery industry, if my industry decides we all wanna stay home people don't have food to buy. Yes you can not work and get FMLA and with that attitude no one works and we all end up living like cavemen without food, water or power. Someone has to go work we cant all live on the government until someone in the random future time finds a vaccine. Your post is referencing me personally and not my statement that I think the NFL players who don't play shouldn't be paid IMO but I will make one for you. The player who decides to sit out can always go to FMLA and use foodbanks like many of my out of work neighbors do too and yes they totally can do that just like the rest of us.
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,

WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Yarnith wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Its nothing about an attitude. It is still in the EU and it is still in other countries it simply slowed down infection rates. Like the flu it will continue to come back, spread, have runs of infection and burn out. I am not sure you citing my "attitude" with facts about how I am right means something?
That's like saying small pox and the plague are still around and pop up with regularity

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:17 pm

I work in the grocery industry, if my industry decides we all wanna stay home people don't have food to buy. Yes you can not work and get FMLA and with that attitude no one works and we all end up living like cavemen without food, water or power. Someone has to go work we cant all live on the government until someone in the random future time finds a vaccine. Your post is referencing me personally and not my statement that I think the NFL players who don't play shouldn't be paid IMO but I will make one for you. The player who decides to sit out can always go to FMLA and use foodbanks like many of my out of work neighbors do too and yes they totally can do that just like the rest of us.

Yes it's still in other countries, but the USA has approx 5% of the words population, and almost 27% of the world's cases of covid. 11th in deaths per million (only 3 of those have populations over 60 million) and 21st in testing per million (2 others above 60 million people).

Obviously people have to work, it just seems like many places are doing it smarter than we are.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm

abloom wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

That's like saying small pox and the plague are still around and pop up with regularity
Or Influenza right? Small pox and the Bubonic plague aren't so bad because the people most vulnerable to them were killed off when those disease swept the vulnerable populations.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:41 pm

millworkguy wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Yes it's still in other countries, but the USA has approx 5% of the words population, and almost 27% of the world's cases of covid. 11th in deaths per million (only 3 of those have populations over 60 million) and 21st in testing per million (2 others above 60 million people).

Obviously people have to work, it just seems like many places are doing it smarter than we are.
The only thing I'd argue is that it doesn't seem like it. They are. I believe that's basically you're point, though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:47 pm

millworkguy wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:17 pm Obviously people have to work, it just seems like many places are doing it smarter than we are.
That's because other countries united and followed the science, while we turned wearing a mask into a political debate, because of course we did. If we simply listened to science, we could've opened up smarter. Hell, we would actually be in a space where we could allow a certain percentage of fans at games.

But the good news is that sports is back! Now all of the unemployed can spend their last dollars on NFL Sunday Ticket! Yeah!!

#We'reAllInThisTogether

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 am

Yarnith wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm
abloom wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm
Or Influenza right? Small pox and the Bubonic plague aren't so bad because the people most vulnerable to them were killed off when those disease swept the vulnerable populations.
Well it appears you don't understand anything about this. Makes sense given your posts. Please do not try to pass on your "information" as facts. Small pox is incredibly deadly, it is only not affecting people because of massive vaccination campaigns that essentially reduced the amount of occurances to nothing. Plague was reduced to nothing due to improvements in hygiene and understanding of what animals are hosts. It still pops up from time to time (see Mongolia recently) but is no longer the threat it once was. These are certainly not threats because the vulnerable populations died off.

I have no idea why you think influenza isn't around. Thats always around. Furthermore there is no evidence that covid19 will become like influenza.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 am

On the statements about players wearing full cloth facemasks while playing (not sure if it was just JJ Watt or others as well who spoke about it), I understand the frustration taking the complaint at face value; but also believe it's being oversimplified by those pointing to the "they want more protections, but also won't wear masks!" argument. I work in a pharmaceutical production plant, and we require masks when 6ft of social distancing can't be maintained (which is quite a lot with the work that needs to be done) and I can tell you, doing physical work for extended periods of time while wearing one can be quite the strain. The biggest issue for us is actually the sweat, once the masks get wet it basically becomes impossible to breath even under normal activity. Obviously we have a large supply of the surgical style masks on hand, and change them frequently; but I couldn't imagine trying to play a sport like football with one on. They could be needing to change out for dry one's every series, if not every down. It becomes unmanageable at some point.

Right now we obviously are very divisive as a country; and people will blow things out of proportion on both sides. People are exaggerating about the difficulties about wearing a mask for 30 minutes while they are pushing a shopping cart in the grocery store, and the other side is trying to guilt/shame/virtue signal others into wearing them at all times (which history shows isn't a very effective way to convince people to do something they don't want to). But MY reality is that wearing a mask up to 8 hours a day while doing strenuous work in an environment with temperatures often over 90deg is extremely difficult. We make it work by taking frequent breaks, social distancing whenever possible, and frequently changing masks. But I don't see how any of those mitigation's are going to be feasible for NFL players in a real-time game scenario. And I don't think players voicing those concerns should be pigeonholed as hypocrites or complainers. Just an alternate view to consider...

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 am

As I've posted elsewhere, 2 baseball games canceled for this evening, as 14 Marlins tested positive
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)