Players sitting out 2020

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Players sitting out 2020

Postby Ray Finkle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 am

...which is why I gather my financial advice from Dave Ramsey and Randy Moss.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:26 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 am ...which is why I gather my financial advice from Dave Ramsey and Randy Moss.
straight cash homie
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

dustyroads wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:21 am
alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm
dustyroads wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:33 pm

That definitely doesn't look as bad. I believe I saw a different iteration that was more of a fabric type material with the small vents stitched into the sides. But I do agree, I think no matter what if they want to actually play the game as we know it, they would need to obviously make concessions safety wise. And such is life that ultimately not everyone will agree with whatever guidelines get put in place.

As the season nears I think we'll see more big name players opting to not play, or at the very least voicing concerns/frustrations over some of the mitigations. I've heard/read elsewhere it may start becoming a divide in the league between players who have guaranteed contracts vs. those who don't driving where they stand on playing/not playing, season length, safety guidelines put in place, etc.

And let's not forget, even though we know players tend to make a ton of money playing, most of their career windows (especially in terms of high earning potential years) are incredibly short. Many of these guys are trying to make a typical person's 40-years worth of money in this window. Believe the last numbers I saw were ~3 year average career length with ~$7 million average earnings. Sounds like a lot of money, but not very easy to budget when you find yourself out of the league "retired" at 27 years old needing to make it last another 50-60 years. And a ridiculously high percentage of players go broke within a few years of "retirement". I think the average NFL player, the kinds of guys who's names don't show up on our top positional lists for dynasty, are already under immense pressure to get on the field and get their paycheck while they can. Probably don't need anymore pressure from us...
By no means do I sympathize with the original poster and I actually agree they can make whatever decision they want (including sitting out due to COVID), but this last take is laughable in my opinion. There are obviously many driving forces behind this that drive these players to go broke, but even if they had 3-5 million after taxes they should be set for life. I’ll tell you straight up there basically no standard job that sets you up for a retirement plan of $50,000 each year for the rest of your life and retirement at 27. My response isn’t COVID related at all, but I’m sorry this is laughable honestly.
I totally get that, and a part of me wonders the same thing. I'm not in finance, but I know large lump sums of money helps make money and there must be very safe ways to invest where if one limits their spending to that of an average person (don't buy the mansion or the fancy cars or the $5,000 weekly dinners, etc etc), they can live the rest of their life comfortably. Not to mention they could still get an even semi-decent/part-time job to help just pay for the regular life expenses. But then I see that players (of all major sports, not just the NFL) are going broke years from retirement at an alarmingly high rate; and at face value think everyone could agree none of them WANT or PLAN to do so. So, I accept maybe it's not as easy as I'd like to think. Even if it's coming down to saying no to friends and family asking for hand outs, disengaging from the gross expenditures all your teammates and peers in the league are making, getting a good and trustworthy financial advisor; they all sound to me like simple things I'd make high priorities. But it must be easier said then done though for the statistics to bear out what they do. Also why I'm pretty sure rookie seminars and orientations now have a lot of emphasis put on all the aforementioned stuff to do so they don't wind up in a bad spot. I wouldn't say I feel bad for the ones who do, as much as I acknowledge it's a situation I have never (and will never) be in, and that there's likely more to it than 75% of all professional athletes are complete idiots. Grass is always greener, yada yada yada lol. But yeah, I definitely understand that viewpoint and it's often my initial reaction as well.
To go completely off topic, a general rule of thumb for retirement is the 4% rule, which is basically you can take 4% of your (invested) retirement funds every year and your nest egg should be able to sustain itself forever due to increases in the market. So if an ex player has $2,000,000 invested they should be able to pull on average $80k a year and the $2,000,000 balance will last their whole lifetime. $3,000,000 invested= $120,000 a year. That doesn't include any NFL pension or any side jobs.

And the $80k (or whatever the 4%) for this example is already post tax, so that is actually $80k, or $6.6k per month directly into their bank accounts to live off.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am

This topic turn gets my nerd boner going as personal finance is one of my favorite hobbies.

Financial literacy is a glaring weakness in the US educational system. We teach kids to line dance and juggle in PE, but nothing of real-world financial basics. It's a major disservice to our youth.

There was an excellent 30 for 30 on athletes going broke. It's worth a watch if the topic is of interest to you.

It isn't just athletes and lottery winners who go down this path. I have plenty of physician colleagues who
delayed gratification only long enough to eventually splurge on the house, car, etc. rather than knock out their massive loan debt first by living like a resident a bit longer.

These folks are in debt up to their eyeballs, only with nicer amenities. It's a stressful way to live imo. They're an injury or major emergency from being broke.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:10 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 am ...which is why I gather my financial advice from Dave Ramsey and Randy Moss.
Okay I’m with you in Ramsey but fill me in on Moss here
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:20 am

Hankybro21 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:10 am
Okay I’m with you in Ramsey but fill me in on Moss here
I was just joking around and referencing an infamous Randy moment from years ago. However, my man inadvertently gives great advice as straight cash means you aren’t borrowing money which is what's tearing up our fellow Americans and putting waaaay too much unneeded stress on our people. Quit borrowing money, people!...especially for crap that depreciates.

https://youtu.be/07G23zMGa4g

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am This topic turn gets my nerd boner going as personal finance is one of my favorite hobbies.

Financial literacy is a glaring weakness in the US educational system. We teach kids to line dance and juggle in PE, but nothing of real-world financial basics. It's a major disservice to our youth.

There was an excellent 30 for 30 on athletes going broke. It's worth a watch if the topic is of interest to you.

It isn't just athletes and lottery winners who go down this path. I have plenty of physician colleagues who
delayed gratification only long enough to eventually splurge on the house, car, etc. rather than knock out their massive loan debt first by living like a resident a bit longer.

These folks are in debt up to their eyeballs, only with nicer amenities. It's a stressful way to live imo. They're an injury or major emergency from being broke.
No only is the average US person financial illiterate, but i'd be willing to bet (hopefully wisely) that NFL players are skewed below that average as well.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am This topic turn gets my nerd boner going as personal finance is one of my favorite hobbies.

Unfortunately most people live in the "it won't happen to me" world and don't plan at all for the worst case scenario. When lenders can loan money at an above 50% debt to income ratio, people think "well I was approved so I must be able to afford it".

Then you just have so much bad information being presented when it comes to investing and a total lack of understanding when it comes to basic personal finances so you end up with so many people living paycheck to paycheck. Then you factor in the lack of discipline that the majority in this country have in general and it's pretty easy to see why so many people end up broke regardless of income level.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:43 pm

So I bought a car Monday. The dealership offered me a finance rate of 5.65%, but had to be over 6 years. I declined and provided my 4 year loan with a 3.26% I had already had approved. How many people just take the offer they are given?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:31 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:43 pm
So I bought a car Monday. The dealership offered me a finance rate of 5.65%, but had to be over 6 years. I declined and provided my 4 year loan with a 3.26% I had already had approved. How many people just take the offer they are given?
Right, this nearly happened to me. Dealership tried to get me to take a 5+% loan over 6 years, thankfully I looked up their special offers online and they had a 0.9% interest 4 yr loan. Basically tried to get 6k out of me for free. ALways do your research folks.
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 am

And on the education note, I wasn't even out of college when I started getting angry there were never any electives in high school around basic finance: doing taxes, retirement/investment accounts, stock market theory and strategy... such a huge gap and missed opportunity. Then tin foil hat goes on and wonders if it's done on purpose... lol

Well I'm glad we were able to turn this thread around and into something positive/educational. There's still hope for us :dance:

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am

TB3falcons wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:31 pm
murphysxm wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:43 pm
Right, this nearly happened to me. Dealership tried to get me to take a 5+% loan over 6 years, thankfully I looked up their special offers online and they had a 0.9% interest 4 yr loan. Basically tried to get 6k out of me for free. ALways do your research folks.
Never buy a new car buy one 1 year old and let the other guy take the 30% instant depreciation. Never trade in anything, say no to every deal and demand the luxury model for the base model price. Only car shop at the end of the month when quotas need to be met.

The mark up on cars is insane and if you actually saw the invoices of what the dealer actually "pays" for his stock youd puke.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:38 am

I don't know if anyone else has said this earlier in the thread, but it seems to me that many/most of the guys opting out are guys who would possibly be cut anyway. An opt out guarantees them money they might otherwise not get. Am I way off base here? I don't even like being this cynical, but it just seems that way. It's just an impression I'm getting. I don't know if it is backed up by stats. Has anyone looked at the players opting out from the standpoint of where they stood on the rosters? (And please forgive me if this entire question is a bit offensive.)
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:45 am

Well, a quick scan of Football Guys optout list shows 10 starters out of 55. It only lists a half dozen as 'depth'. I guess I was off base. I'm actually kind of happy about that.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:08 pm

It's a salary advance not just a paycheck. I'm not sure what will happen to players that opt out and then get cut. But I'd guess bubble players will have increased pressure to play rather than the other way.