Burrow not a Bengal?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Burrow not a Bengal?

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am
bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 am The Bengals don’t even like the Bengals but Burrow at least gives them a chance to turn it around.

I will be stunned if they move off that pick. Burrow has no leverage here if he wants to play football.
This is a unique year though and with the possibility of there being no season because of Covid, he could absolutely elect to refuse to sign his contract and re-enter the draft next year. If the season did get canceled he wouldn't get paid anyway because you know NFL owners won't pay players when there are no games being played (especially rookies), the only money he loses is the small amount from being the #1 pick to "only" a top 5-10 puck because Lawrence and possibly Fields will go before him next year.
The Draft is happening. Too many if's and the spread between pick 1 and pick is around 6 million over 4 years not to mention the big difference in the 5th year option.

The one reality is these players at the top of the draft get a fully guaranteed contract. The way the CBA is structured these days it is fun to talk about rookie leverage but they don't have any and are paid well not to worry about it so much.

The #1 pick will get a signing bonus approaching 25 million this season.

Lawrence will be a lock 1.1 next season barring injury.
I didn't say anything about the draft not happening, I said the season could verywell not happen, and if it doesn't he's not getting paid no matter what pick he's taken. So if the Bengals take him he can just sit back and wait to see how this all plays out, and if the season does get canceled all the leverage swings to him. He can choose to just not sign and try to force Cincy to trade his rights or else they end up getting absolutely nothing out of the #1 overall pick, which would be a massive blow. The whole missing a year thing won't be held against him in the draft next year because everyone else would have missed a year of play (if NFL is canceled so will CFB), so the only thing he loses out on is being the #1 pick because Lawrence is going 1 assuming he comes out, but Burrow still goes around top 5. He will probably get a little less money, but the cap and TV money will both be going up so those picks will probably be getting paid a bit more than they are this year, and for QBs the real money is in the 2nd contract anyway and you'll have a better chance at being successful by going a little later in the draft to a slightly better team.

Ultimately I think the Bengals take him and that's where he plays, but there has been so much coming out on this story that there has to be a little truth to it and Burrow would prefer not to go to Cincy.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:18 pm

IMO: The only way Burrow isn't a Bengal will be because of the Bengals. It won't have anything to do with Burrow.

The season will happen. No way our country will stay closed that long. We sure as hell better hope not or we will be in a massive depression like the world has never seen most likely.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:27 pm

There was "no way" we would suspend all sporting events and public gatherings at one point too.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:45 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:27 pm There was "no way" we would suspend all sporting events and public gatherings at one point too.
The country is fighting back.

Believe as you will...... I fully expect the economy to begin to open next month and be running pretty well by mid summer. This is thread is getting off track. Burrow will get drafted and football will be played soon enough.

The odds of Covid affecting this player is next to nothing unless he contracts the virus most likely.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Burrow is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. The only way Cincy considers trading out is if Miami offered 5, 18 & 26.

People posting the Shaq podcast soundbite about Burrow wanting to go to a winner and not being a loser left out the second part where he was specifically asked about going to Cincy or another bad team. He essentially said he's a winner and will continue to do, acknowledging any team picking at the top is there for a reason and that he can turn that situation around.

There's been no chatter on it locally with beat writers calling out Florio as drumming up clickbait on his Burrow taek.

Benjamin Allbright, who's been known to make some outrageous claims, says he's heard zero to back this rumor up.

I have never heard of @Dynastybeard so until a source or a more reputable reporter backs this up, I'm chalking it up to click bait
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:52 pm Burrow is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. The only way Cincy considers trading out is if Miami offered 5, 18 & 26.

People posting the Shaq podcast soundbite about Burrow wanting to go to a winner and not being a loser left out the second part where he was specifically asked about going to Cincy or another bad team. He essentially said he's a winner and will continue to do, acknowledging any team picking at the top is there for a reason and that he can turn that situation around.

There's been no chatter on it locally with beat writers calling out Florio as drumming up clickbait on his Burrow taek.

Benjamin Allbright, who's been known to make some outrageous claims, says he's heard zero to back this rumor up.

I have never heard of @Dynastybeard so until a source or a more reputable reporter backs this up, I'm chalking it up to click bait
Hell, I'm not even sure Cincy does 5/18/26.

I think Miami would have to trade 5/18/26/2021 1st and a mid-round choice. There's no reason for them to move out of #1 unless there's a Godfather offer.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:45 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:52 pm Burrow is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. The only way Cincy considers trading out is if Miami offered 5, 18 & 26.

Hell, I'm not even sure Cincy does 5/18/26.

I think Miami would have to trade 5/18/26/2021 1st and a mid-round choice. There's no reason for them to move out of #1 unless there's a Godfather offer.
💯
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Unless the Bengals don’t view him as the "best QB since Luck", or what Peter King reported is true and many of their evaluators consider Herbert as an equal or superior prospect to Burrow. We'll know for sure in 10 days and a couple hours from now.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 pm

There's pretty close to 0% chance the Bengals don't take burrow at 1. It just wouldn't make sense. But, I guess they still own Dalton and they are still the Bungals.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Burrow being the best prospect since Luck feels like revisionist history, as most of those guys (Winston/Mariota in particular) haven't lived up to expectations. Not to say that Burrow isn't good or can't be great, but this isn't a guy with a perfect prospect profile.

If Joe Burrow has a fantastic NFL career, we'll remember him as the prospect who tore up the SEC and won a Heisman and was clearly the best prospect since Luck; if he doesn't, then we'll remember that he really only had one good year, and he'll get lumped in with Winston, Mariota, Goff, and Mayfield.

For what it's worth I thought Mayfield was a better NFL prospect than Burrow.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm Unless the Bengals don’t view him as the "best QB since Luck", or what Peter King reported is true and many of their evaluators consider Herbert as an equal or superior prospect to Burrow. We'll know for sure in 10 days and a couple hours from now.
Herbert being equal or better than Burrow?

That's...peculiar.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm Unless the Bengals don’t view him as the "best QB since Luck", or what Peter King reported is true and many of their evaluators consider Herbert as an equal or superior prospect to Burrow. We'll know for sure in 10 days and a couple hours from now.

That's...peculiar.
According to Peter King there are some in the Bengals organization who believe that, obviously that could just be some low level scouts with little real say over draft decisions or a complete smokescreen. I certainly don't think Herbert is remotely close to Burrow, but Peter King is possibly the most well informed and connected journalist in the NFL media so I'm going to at least consider it as a possibility that it's the Bengals thinking.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm

That's...peculiar.
After Burrow's season it's hard to make that claim but looking at pure arm talent a case could be made. Herbert's release and velocity are better. His mechanics are also better IMO.

Burrow is my top QB because he makes elite decisions IMO but Herbert also has all the tools to be a stud in this league.

Both are lock top 10 players and probably top 5. The drop off isn't very much so I could see a few thinking Herbert could be better long term.

Tua may be more talented than either but his injury risk will scare off a few teams.

Reminds me a bit of the 2004 class between the top 3 QB's. Herbert would be the slightly taller and more athletic Big Ben in that group.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:23 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm

That's...peculiar.
After Burrow's season it's hard to make that claim but looking at pure arm talent a case could be made. Herbert's release and velocity are better. His mechanics are also better IMO.

Burrow is my top QB because he makes elite decisions IMO but Herbert also has all the tools to be a stud in this league.

Both are lock top 10 players and probably top 5. The drop off isn't very much so I could see a few thinking Herbert could be better long term.

Tua may be more talented than either but his injury risk will scare off a few teams.

Reminds me a bit of the 2004 class between the top 3 QB's. Herbert would be the slightly taller and more athletic Big Ben in that group.
I completely disagree. His mechanics are only good consistently when he's not pressured and goes to his first read. I found this video, after I had done my Herbert "study" and agree with quite a bit of it, noticing these things myself. Not going as far as to say he's a bust, but I have my concerns. Really don't like the ball flip he does on play action, on top of not reading the field well for a 4 year started and having inconsistent mechanics still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj_TIx1FuA
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:28 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm

That's...peculiar.

It feels like in every draft there's a "tools" QB, and they usually don't pan out. Bortles and Trubisky come to mind as those types of QBs. Anytime I watched Herbert, he just never really excited me as a prospect.