Burrow not a Bengal?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Burrow not a Bengal?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:24 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:16 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 pm Probably need more than this guy saying it. Not seeing anyone reputable echoing it.
It's been rumored all off-season though, with Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk really spear-heading it. I'm starting to think there's at least a little fire behind all this smoke we've been hearing about Burrow not wanting to go to Cincy.
Yeah, but Burrow hasn't said publicly that he won't play for the Bengals and if the draft were today...that's where he's going and signing. Feels like a trade demand would be more public by now
I disagree. Palmer tried that, and was forced to retire for a year. If you go public with Brown, it won't be a good thing. Being discreet about it will allow them more leverage to facilitate the trade you want. You would only want to go Public as a last resort.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 pm Probably need more than this guy saying it. Not seeing anyone reputable echoing it.
It's been rumored all off-season though, with Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk really spear-heading it. I'm starting to think there's at least a little fire behind all this smoke we've been hearing about Burrow not wanting to go to Cincy.
That guy makes up things daily, multiple times a day. That's what his website of for, made up rumors.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:23 am

Click bait until further info, with everyone being bored and the draft coming up it just feels like bait. Obviously wouldn't be shocking if it happened but still don't see it.

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:39 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 pm
That guy makes up things daily, multiple times a day. That's what his website of for, made up rumors.

100% agree with this. If Floria is a main source of information you will be lead in the wrong direction a lot.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, AJB, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcich

2024: 1.04, 1.09, 2.02
2025: 1, 2, 3

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Mixon, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, Toney
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 1.11, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:19 am

I doubt it's just click bait, but I'd say it's probably a smokescreen. I'd guess by a team that thinks Detroit is asking too much for 3.
"Can't pay that much when I could just give a bit more and get Burrow" for example.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:32 am

It's interesting but I'm not sure I believe it yet regardless if we've heard the whispers all offseason .

The twitter guy could simply be hosing it out there ahead of everyone else to try and garner more attention to himself if he's right.

He also had this to say:

"I can’t name my source and I debated not sharing this, but I have it on really good authority that this is where things currently stand. Obviously things are fluid and it could change, but as of now, this is the direction the Bengals are exploring."

He has a built in excuse in case hes wrong.

Smells like total BS to me
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:14 pm

I have it on good authority that the Redskins are considering drafting Tua, I can't reveal my sources and things are fluid so could change at any moment!!

Wow this is easy, might be the start of a new career for me.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Peter King says there are many in the Bengals organization who covet Herbert and rank him over Burrow, which would be a total Bengals thing to do. If this is true I think it absolutely makes even more sense to trade to 5 or 6 with Miami or LAC and get extra picks plus the #1 QB on their board. I don't really see Herbert going any higher than 6 as the order stands right now barring the Bengals pulling the trigger on him at 1.

1 Burrow
2 Young
3 Okudah or Simmons
4 OT
5 Tua
6 Herbert, OT, Simmons or Derrick Brown

Is how I think the top 6 shakes out currently if there are no trades.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:05 pm

AussieMate wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:14 pmWow this is easy, might be the start of a new career for me.
You laugh. This is an established technique in sports reporting. Hot takes generate “followership” (defined by any of several different metrics) and generate tier bumps for those who ‘report’ them. It is expected that as you fail to deliver you will lose most of your new followership but you won’t lose all and the amount you gain is greater than the amount you lose. As you ascend tiers you acquire the contacts and access necessary to miss less frequently. Rinse, repeat.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Wannabe Analyst
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Wannabe Analyst » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm kinda hoping the Bengals just trade down and fill other needs like WR, TE, OL, LB, DB, etc..

But I'm sure that Burrow will be the pick. Hopefully he can work with a healthy AJ Green, and hopefully we actually have a season. Ugh.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 am

The Bengals don’t even like the Bengals but Burrow at least gives them a chance to turn it around.

I will be stunned if they move off that pick. Burrow has no leverage here if he wants to play football.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:26 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 am The Bengals don’t even like the Bengals but Burrow at least gives them a chance to turn it around.

I will be stunned if they move off that pick. Burrow has no leverage here if he wants to play football.
He would if he bet on there being no season. He'd probably lose the top spot to Lawrence by holding off until next year, but he would avoid Cincy, and not miss any time. He'd just lose a year before his 2nd deal, IF players get paid and accrue a year under their deals if there is no season. Not sure how that would work.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 am The Bengals don’t even like the Bengals but Burrow at least gives them a chance to turn it around.

This is a unique year though and with the possibility of there being no season because of Covid, he could absolutely elect to refuse to sign his contract and re-enter the draft next year. If the season did get canceled he wouldn't get paid anyway because you know NFL owners won't pay players when there are no games being played (especially rookies), the only money he loses is the small amount from being the #1 pick to "only" a top 5-10 puck because Lawrence and possibly Fields will go before him next year.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am

This is a unique year though and with the possibility of there being no season because of Covid, he could absolutely elect to refuse to sign his contract and re-enter the draft next year. If the season did get canceled he wouldn't get paid anyway because you know NFL owners won't pay players when there are no games being played (especially rookies), the only money he loses is the small amount from being the #1 pick to "only" a top 5-10 puck because Lawrence and possibly Fields will go before him next year.
The Draft is happening. Too many if's and the spread between pick 1 and pick 5 is around 6 million over 4 years not to mention the big difference in the 5th year option.

The one reality is these players at the top of the draft get a fully guaranteed contract. The way the CBA is structured these days it is fun to talk about rookie leverage but they don't have any and are paid well not to worry about it so much.

The #1 pick will get a signing bonus approaching 25 million this season.

Covid may possibly cause some delay but I highly doubt it will delay the season or cause the season to be canceled.

Lawrence IMO will be the lock 1.1 next season barring injury. Kid has been considered the top prospect in his age group since the 9th grade.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:03 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am
bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am

The Draft is happening. Too many if's and the spread between pick 1 and pick 5 is around 6 million over 4 years not to mention the big difference in the 5th year option.

The one reality is these players at the top of the draft get a fully guaranteed contract. The way the CBA is structured these days it is fun to talk about rookie leverage but they don't have any and are paid well not to worry about it so much.

The #1 pick will get a signing bonus approaching 25 million this season.

Covid may possibly cause some delay but I highly doubt it will delay the season or cause the season to be canceled.

Lawrence IMO will be the lock 1.1 next season barring injury. Kid has been considered the top prospect in his age group since the 9th grade.
The draft is, but the season may not. We really don't know. I'd suspect it does happen, in some capacity, though. Lawrence will be the lock next year, for 1.01, no doubt. I still feel Burrow will be the better NFL QB, but that doesn't change the fact it would hurt Burrow's wallet on his first contract.