Burrow not a Bengal?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Burrow not a Bengal?

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:26 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:29 pm I learned long ago that I suck at trying to figure out which QB will be good.
You're not alone. I'm not good at it either and I'm pretty sure it's a problem across the fantasy community. It's understandable though. The fact is there are way too many factors that go into being a good QB. It's a very complex position.

Hell, the NFL struggles with it too. We're 5 years removed from the Winston/Mariota draft, where it wasn't uncommon to believe you couldn't go wrong with either QB. Now both are backups. Mel Kiper infamously compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway.

There's misses all over.

mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Burrow not a Bengal?

Postby mild » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:26 pm
ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:29 pm I learned long ago that I suck at trying to figure out which QB will be good.
You're not alone. I'm not good at it either and I'm pretty sure it's a problem across the fantasy community. It's understandable though. The fact is there are way too many factors that go into being a good QB. It's a very complex position.

Hell, the NFL struggles with it too. We're 5 years removed from the Winston/Mariota draft, where it wasn't uncommon to believe you couldn't go wrong with either QB. Now both are backups. Mel Kiper infamously compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway.
No disagreements here.

My best calls with QB have always come from betting on the organisation over the QB - especially as a tiebreak. There's a reason that the best teams stay the best teams, and that the Browns will always be the Browns.

I still scout the QB hard, of course. I liked/fantasy-crushed Darnold best in 2018 before the draft... once he was a Jet, he was off my radar. In my Superflex, I took Lamar at 1.04 and Baker slid all the way to 1.10, and Darnold to 2.01.

I picked up Mahomes the offseason before he started purely off the bet that Andy Reid wouldn't actively trade up for Mahomes AND trade away a playoff-viable QB in Alex Smith unless he was sure he knew what he was doing.

Bet on smart coaches and well run organisations whenever you can. That's the best QB evaluation you can do. I'm pleased I don't have the Burrow conundrum at 1.01 this year...