NFL Free Agency: Will the draft affect it retroactively?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

NFL Free Agency: Will the draft affect it retroactively?

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:59 pm

So apparently, no deals are official. Hopkins deal, Gurley deal, Brady deal. None of them, or at least most of them. The article below will explain what teams can do to make them official, but why most if not all teams wouldn't. They won't be official until physicals are performed, and contracts are signed, and teams and players are banned from being able to do these things right now. This could cause all kinds of potential complications.

For example, if a RB falls and the Falcons draft him, because he was high on their board, and they didn't think they'd land him, they have the ability to fail Gurley's physical and void the agreement when they finally get to meet him.

The same thing could apply for the Hopkins deal, when the Texans meet with DJ.

It wouldn't be the first or last time this type of thing happened. A few years ago, Ryan Grant had an agreement with the Ravens. He had a very large deal agreed on, that people though was too much. Crabtree was released by the Raiders, before Grant's physical was performed. They failed Grant's physical, and signed Crabtree. Grant passed an independent physical, and eventually signed with the Colts, who also passed him on their physical. Something to monitor, as this situation is unprecedented in the NFL Calendar.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/wireS ... s-69673604
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: NFL Free Agency: Will the draft affect it retroactively?

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:23 am

I bet some of the agents would be pretty upset with any reneging of these deals. Would shake things up quite a bit for sure, but I'd expect it to be a one off type situation if one of them is voided.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:34 am

This is interesting. I skimmed the article, but from what I can tell the reason for all this is because of the current pandemic, correct? I wouldn't be too worried about NFL teams pulling a fast one on each other. For example, the "poison pill" possibility still exists, but no teams these days ever use it. I think this is in the same category as that.

(Poison Pill = When teams try to sneak away a tendered player by adding verbiage in their contract that makes them too expensive for the players' old team to match. Example: The 49ers tendered WR Kendrick Bourne. The Falcons need a WR so they make Bourne a fair market offer that he accept AND the Falcons put in a stipulation in the contract that if he plays more than 10 games outside for the 2020 season they owe him $50 million. Since the Falcons are a dome team this doesn't matter, but it prevents the 49ers from matching that offer).

I think this is similar to that. I would be shocked if teams went back on their word and failed a physical just to get out of a deal, simply because the pandemic accidentally allows them the ability to do so.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:31 am

The Hopkins deal is the one I would be more concerned about. First, you effectively have teams like Philadelphia hinting that they would have paid more. Second, you have a piece in David Johnson that could easily fail a physical. Third, you have massive public backlash to the trade and calls to fire BOB. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if this one gets undone.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:31 am The Hopkins deal is the one I would be more concerned about. First, you effectively have teams like Philadelphia hinting that they would have paid more. Second, you have a piece in David Johnson that could easily fail a physical. Third, you have massive public backlash to the trade and calls to fire BOB. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if this one gets undone.
100% what I was thinking...would be a nice little do-over for BOB,and everyone would know he is terrible and got bailed out in a big way
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:06 am

I'm sure Hopkins would enjoy if it was reversed. /sarcasm
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:06 am I'm sure Hopkins would enjoy if it was reversed. /sarcasm
It would be a mess if it was reversed.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:56 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:31 am The Hopkins deal is the one I would be more concerned about. First, you effectively have teams like Philadelphia hinting that they would have paid more. Second, you have a piece in David Johnson that could easily fail a physical. Third, you have massive public backlash to the trade and calls to fire BOB. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if this one gets undone.
I agree. This was my thinking as well.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:41 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but what about the picks that have already been traded in parts of these deals? If a deal gets reversed, how does a team get their pick back?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:41 am Sorry if this has been mentioned, but what about the picks that have already been traded in parts of these deals? If a deal gets reversed, how does a team get their pick back?
Has that happened? Houston traded a different second than the one they received.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:18 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:30 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:41 am Sorry if this has been mentioned, but what about the picks that have already been traded in parts of these deals? If a deal gets reversed, how does a team get their pick back?
Has that happened? Houston traded a different second than the one they received.
Nah I'm just saying any 2020 pick. So Houston makes their selection in the draft with the Arizona pick... But then David Johnson fails his physical and the deal is reversed. What happens to the pick since it's already used?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:35 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:18 pm
Nah I'm just saying any 2020 pick. So Houston makes their selection in the draft with the Arizona pick... But then David Johnson fails his physical and the deal is reversed. What happens to the pick since it's already used?
My bad, I misunderstood. So here’s how that plays out- right now, Arizona still owns the pick because the deal hasn’t been finalized. I believe that if it’s not finalized before the draft, or at least before that pick, then the teams would need to agree to new terms.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:30 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:35 pm

My bad, I misunderstood. So here’s how that plays out- right now, Arizona still owns the pick because the deal hasn’t been finalized. I believe that if it’s not finalized before the draft, or at least before that pick, then the teams would need to agree to new terms.
That would make more sense, thanks for clearing that up

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Yeah, for sure. I guess they either have to take the independent doctors word on the physical, or revoke the trade, as it needs to be made official before the pick can be made, for sure. The Gurley trade is one where the Falcons could grab a RB if one fell that they weren't expecting, and then fail Gurley's physical after the fact, it seems like.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:28 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:02 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Yeah, for sure. I guess they either have to take the independent doctors word on the physical, or revoke the trade, as it needs to be made official before the pick can be made, for sure. The Gurley trade is one where the Falcons could grab a RB if one fell that they weren't expecting, and then fail Gurley's physical after the fact, it seems like.
Gurley was cut, but the point stands.