Bored from self isolation? bet on the draft with your roster

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Bored from self isolation? bet on the draft with your roster

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 am

I had this interesting idea, it's likely due to boredom, to bet on the draft with a trade.

Here's the idea...

1) Find another equally bored teammate.
2) Come to an agreement on two different trades. One that is 60/40 in their favor, and one 60/40 in your favor (or whatever percentage you want to risk, could be 55/45 or 75/25). Use your imagination, could be players, picks, etc.
3) Bet on the number of QBs/RBs/WRs/TEs drafted in the first round. One point for each correct guess.
4) Bet on the first RB/WR/TE drafted, and the second QB drafted (may need to watch the 2nd round for RB & TE position). One point for each correct guess.
5) Give both docs to a third party (ideally the commish).
6) Watch the draft and get those sweet anxious sweats we all miss from gameday Sunday.
7) Most points out of 8 wins.
8) Winner gets the trade that is lopsided in their favor. Tie is a push and no trade either way.

Ideally this would be done with your low end starter quality types, or prospects, so it's not too disruptive to your roster (it's fun after all). Just figured it might be a interesting way to amp up the draft and cut some of this quarantine boredom. Anyone have any ideas to improve this?

*please don't say "not do it" or something of that nature. Obviously this is an idea for a more risk favorable player, and if that's not your cup of tea, that's cool, but feel free to move along.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Bored from self isolation? bet on the draft with your roster

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 am

Unfortunately I'm the only degenerate I know across any of my leagues who would do this.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:44 am

Not a terrible idea. I have a few bets on the draft with the sports book. Makes it more exciting for sure.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm

As a commissioner I do not allow prop bets to involve draft picks or players. Money? Team banners? Team names? All fair game. But to allow one team to get weaker and another stronger through a bet, thus resulting in lop-sided teams in a league? Weaker teams usually quit leagues, and then filling such a team becomes difficult.

Anyway I like the idea enough that I'd like to see someone try it out, but it should be done with other things on the line instead. If someone wanted to construct a forum battle via these rules I might be down.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm As a commissioner I do not allow prop bets to involve draft picks or players. Money? Team banners? Team names? All fair game. But to allow one team to get weaker and another stronger through a bet, thus resulting in lop-sided teams in a league? Weaker teams usually quit leagues, and then filling such a team becomes difficult.

Anyway I like the idea enough that I'd like to see someone try it out, but it should be done with other things on the line instead. If someone wanted to construct a forum battle via these rules I might be down.
x2, this is a fun idea but I wouldn't allow outside bets to impact rosters in any of the leagues I commish

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 pm

100% understand why leagues don’t allow this kind of thing, and I wouldn’t want it allowed in a league of random internet folks.

But it’s damn fun in actual friends leagues. I once lost a 3rd round pick in a two keeper league, pretty valuable pick, to a bet on ncaa basketball championship. Kind of thing just makes the whole experience even more fun to me, and that’s what this is about after all.

Anyways, dunno if we want the thread to become a debate on whether this kind of side betting is good or evil.

The part I’m not quite sold on in the OP is the trade 60/40 each way bit. That sounds... messy. I’d say if you’re gonna do this just make it easy, wager a 2021 2nd or something.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 pm

honcho55 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 pm The part I’m not quite sold on in the OP is the trade 60/40 each way bit. That sounds... messy. I’d say if you’re gonna do this just make it easy, wager a 2021 2nd or something.
100% agree, it would be far easier to just move a 2nd. And yes, this is really only a thing you can do in a league full of buddies.

That said, if you like to negotiate, it's pretty fun to hash out the two separate 60/40 trades. It def takes some back and forth with your trade partner though.

Right now I've have had some preliminary talks, and have a potential deal in place. I made the players equivalent age, so no one has to give up youth; I want a RB, he could use a WR.

Preliminary Deal
If I win the draft bet: I trade Hollywood Brown for M. Sanders or D. Montgomery
If I lose the draft bet: I trade Gallop for Hunt

Prob still going to be the odd + & - to balance it, but it's been fun so far!

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm As a commissioner I do not allow prop bets to involve draft picks or players. Money? Team banners? Team names? All fair game. But to allow one team to get weaker and another stronger through a bet, thus resulting in lop-sided teams in a league? Weaker teams usually quit leagues, and then filling such a team becomes difficult.

My take, too. But, here's what I would allow if the league voted:

We have a five-round rookie draft each year, and all picks can be traded two years out. I'd be willing to let all fifth-round picks (maybe fourth-round picks if there were overwhelming support) be bet on for things like this.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --