Dolphins, why an RB?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Dolphins, why an RB?

Postby AussieMate » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm

I seen in so many mocks and heard in many more podcasts that the dolphins have to take an RB with their late 1st rnd pick.
Why is this considered a must? They are a rebuilding team with many more needs outside of RB, they signed Jordan Howard who is good enough to help out a rookie QB whoever it is, I just fail to see why so many experts and people in the know think its a foregone conclusion. I'd go so far as to say it's a terrible waste of that 1st rnd pick,

thoughts?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Dolphins, why an RB?

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

I agree. I could see them waiting. I could also see them moving that pick to get up a few spots to 2 or 3 to grab a QB.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:48 pm

I think the Dolphins stay at 5 and draft Tua. If Tua is gone they probably take Herbert there. Additionally, if they take a RB I think it would be with their 2nd round pick at 39.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm

AussieMate wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm I seen in so many mocks and heard in many more podcasts that the dolphins have to take an RB with their late 1st rnd pick.
Why is this considered a must? They are a rebuilding team with many more needs outside of RB, they signed Jordan Howard who is good enough to help out a rookie QB whoever it is, I just fail to see why so many experts and people in the know think its a foregone conclusion. I'd go so far as to say it's a terrible waste of that 1st rnd pick,

thoughts?
The logic is that MIA has the luxury of investing in RB early, since they're overloaded with picks. Rather than being pigeonholed into zeroing in on just premier positions they can play to board, taking BPA as it were. Of course, OL and QB are positions they'll probably target regardless.

Another thing that played into that thought for so long was the fact that they didn't have a lead RB, or arguably even an RB2/3 quality player in house at end of season. Ballage set a record for inefficiency, and after being given so many chances to prove himself and faceplanting one has to imagine his time is up. Laird was a nice surprise, but certainly not someone a team wants to count on outside a change-of-pace roll. Gaskin has his share of truthers still, but the team obviously doesn't view him that way. Honestly, though, the move to bring Howard in seems more significant to me than people think. He's absolutely capable of serving as a workhorse if healthy from the shoulder issue, he's still young, and that would allow room to continue getting a look at Laird/Gaskin in C-O-P roles.

I guess what I'm saying is, Howard isn't a bad investment if his cost has fallen to late-2nd range. There's a pretty significant chance that he ends up leading that backfield next year, and I think that'd given him a 2019 Carlos Hyde type floor. Could be a solid anchor to competing teams.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Excellent so I'm not crazy, I thought for sure after the Howard signing the Rb mocks would stop but they're still coming in hot. I'd be tempted to take Jefferson there to pair with Parker and Williams for my rookie QB if we are talking luxury picks.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm

I don't think RB makes sense for them early, and would have been better off going for a vet like Gordon (they went Howard instead). Get a known talent to take the beating and eat the carries the next few years for your going QB and rebuilding OL to lean on, and then in 2 years when you're hopefully truly ready to compete and your QB and OL are up to speed bring in a 1st or 2nd round rookie RB and get all those peak years and low cost on a better team and get more out of them. Taking a RB early now would kind of waste the first half or more of his valuable rookie contract years, and would be one less OL or Defensive player you could draft as one of your foundational pieces for the years ahead.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm

The correct answer is that Ross is a horrible owner and rather than rebuild properly, they will do whatever they can to put butts in seats. Going to a Dolphins’ home game is probably as bad as going to a Chargers’ home game.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm

As a fins fan, I hope they don't draft an RB before pick 56 (NO 2nd). They have 0 starting tackles on the roster. I'll be very surprised if any of their 1sts go to RB. they seem to understand positional value in the way they are spending/ not spending.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm The correct answer is that Ross is a horrible owner and rather than rebuild properly, they will do whatever they can to put butts in seats. Going to a Dolphins’ home game is probably as bad as going to a Chargers’ home game.
I think this is a factor, also possibly people are mock drafting this class of RBs and think these guys gotta go somewhere high, and it’s a popular spot to spot them, so people are kinda following the leader.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Yea, I don't think it's as likely they take an RB in the first as the mocks are showing. I see them taking a QB and WR with two of the early picks, and they probably want some protection for the new QB. I could see an RB in the 2nd or 3rd though.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm

I think they only signed Howard to avoid being forced into drafting a RB. I think they’ll go BPA and if the guy at the top of their board is an RB, that’s who they’ll take.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Watching Kalen Ballage play for the entire year can make you do some things you normally wouldn't do probably...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm Watching Kalen Ballage play for the entire year can make you do some things you normally wouldn't do probably...
Great, another Kalen Ballage joke. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Miami can really do anything. They're in great position to simply go BPA throughout the draft. It's possible they have a 1st round grade on an RB like Swift, who would compliment Howard with his receiving ability and upgrade the talent in their backfield, which was league-worst after they traded Drake.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Lol to the Ballage.

I have two thoughts.

1. Why take a first round RB when the Dolphins are rebuilding and aren't ready to compete.

But on the other hand;

2. A stud RB would help Tua or whichever QB they go with so I sort of understand it.

If they are smart they go QB, OT and BPA round 1, and then round 2 grab one of Dobbins or Akers to be that lead guy to help the QB.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff