Dolphins, why an RB?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Dolphins, why an RB?

Postby AussieMate » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Yeah my main problem was listening to podcasts and hearing people mock an rb to them in the first and everyone nods and agrees saying they have to, no issues if they can get an Akers or CEH in the 2nd round, I just figure even with their plethora of picks I can't imagine rb being a 1st rnd pick need, they have holes everywhere.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm

DJB wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm Lol to the Ballage.

I have two thoughts.

1. Why take a first round RB when the Dolphins are rebuilding and aren't ready to compete.

But on the other hand;

2. A stud RB would help Tua or whichever QB they go with so I sort of understand it.

If they are smart they go QB, OT and BPA round 1, and then round 2 grab one of Dobbins or Akers to be that lead guy to help the QB.
I don't think the Dolphins spent all that money to just rebuild. Their plan was a one-year tank, not multi-year. Brady is gone, Jets still look mediocre on paper, Bills are good, but not world beaters. Their divison is open.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm
DJB wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm Lol to the Ballage.

I have two thoughts.

1. Why take a first round RB when the Dolphins are rebuilding and aren't ready to compete.

But on the other hand;

2. A stud RB would help Tua or whichever QB they go with so I sort of understand it.

If they are smart they go QB, OT and BPA round 1, and then round 2 grab one of Dobbins or Akers to be that lead guy to help the QB.
I don't think the Dolphins spent all that money to just rebuild. Their plan was a one-year tank, not multi-year. Brady is gone, Jets still look mediocre on paper, Bills are good, but not world beaters. Their divison is open.
I suppose and I can't wait to find out!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:28 am

I once saw a video or heard an interview with someone famous for doing mocks... damn I wish I could remember who it was... but anyway, he said that there isn't a mock out there that's truly a REAL mock until 1 day before the draft.

The whole point of a mock is to get people interested. But you don't want your mock to be accurate because you want to be able to change it and move parts around a lot to keep the interest. If you made a mock and then stuck to your guns for months on end, it would be worthless to the company for which you work for.

After I heard that, I stopped looking at mocks unless it was the week leading up to the draft. So when I hear silly things like the Dolphins taking a running back, I don't even bother analyzing it anymore. I chalk it up to attention grabbing.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:28 am I once saw a video or heard an interview with someone famous for doing mocks... damn I wish I could remember who it was... but anyway, he said that there isn't a mock out there that's truly a REAL mock until 1 day before the draft.

The whole point of a mock is to get people interested. But you don't want your mock to be accurate because you want to be able to change it and move parts around a lot to keep the interest. If you made a mock and then stuck to your guns for months on end, it would be worthless to the company for which you work for.

After I heard that, I stopped looking at mocks unless it was the week leading up to the draft. So when I hear silly things like the Dolphins taking a running back, I don't even bother analyzing it anymore. I chalk it up to attention grabbing.
Funny my brother said the same thing the other day, seems fairly legit to what I've noticed

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 am

I also dont get WR, they have solid options in Parker, Preston Williams, and Gesicki. Could have an early 2010's Bears vibe when they were rolling out Alshon, Bmarsh, and Bennett. Plus next years WRs are pretty solid if they do find they need better options
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 am

As a Dolphins fan I hate the idea that this is a luxury pick that they can afford to use on a RB, just because they have a lot of picks.

Yes they have a lot of picks but they also have a lot of holes. Same story with the Raiders last year even though they took the RB anyway.

We traded a franchise LT for that late 1st round pick. It's not a luxury pick!
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am

Vcize wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 am As a Dolphins fan I hate the idea that this is a luxury pick that they can afford to use on a RB, just because they have a lot of picks.

Yes they have a lot of picks but they also have a lot of holes. Same story with the Raiders last year even though they took the RB anyway.

We traded a franchise LT for that late 1st round pick. It's not a luxury pick!
Don't worry, the 2021 pick you got in the deal will be better than the the Dolphins 2021 pick most likely the way BOB is running that team. You could make a fortune off trading it, or keep it and draft another franchise LT. Lawrence and Fields get all the attention for next years class (and rightfully so), but Oregon LT Penei Sewell is an absolute stud himself and could be the best LT prospect to come into the league in quite some time. Dolphins could have their franchise and a dominant O-line in a few years if they play their cards right in these next two drafts.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:58 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 am I also dont get WR, they have solid options in Parker, Preston Williams, and Gesicki. Could have an early 2010's Bears vibe when they were rolling out Alshon, Bmarsh, and Bennett. Plus next years WRs are pretty solid if they do find they need better options
Neither do I, was just saying I think it's a better investment then an RB now they have Howard there if they want to use a 1st rounder on that side of the ball.
Like others I feel they have many holes to fill and that a 1st rnd pick is rarely ever a luxury.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 pm

They’re launching into a full blown rebuild, just look at the ages of their FA signings, it would be a waste to draft a RB in the first they will look for core franchise pieces.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am

honcho55 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:20 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm The correct answer is that Ross is a horrible owner and rather than rebuild properly, they will do whatever they can to put butts in seats. Going to a Dolphins’ home game is probably as bad as going to a Chargers’ home game.
I think this is a factor, also possibly people are mock drafting this class of RBs and think these guys gotta go somewhere high, and it’s a popular spot to spot them, so people are kinda following the leader.
this is the closest in my opinion after a year when the both super bowl starting rbs mostert and williams were UDFA then the dolphins should be expected to use a premium pick on a rb on a rebuilding team . past performance is the best indicator of future performance .
dolphins gonna dolphin !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am this is the closest in my opinion after a year when the both super bowl starting rbs mostert and williams were UDFA then the dolphins should be expected to use a premium pick on a rb on a rebuilding team . past performance is the best indicator of future performance .
dolphins gonna dolphin !
:twisted:

Devils advocate: go back literally one Superbowl before that and you will find two teams doing battle 70's style, in a Running Game to the death, featuring two RB's they each took in the 1st round - and built their attack around - for a final score of 13-3.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

mild wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 pm
clarion contrarion wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am this is the closest in my opinion after a year when the both super bowl starting rbs mostert and williams were UDFA then the dolphins should be expected to use a premium pick on a rb on a rebuilding team . past performance is the best indicator of future performance .
dolphins gonna dolphin !
:twisted:

Devils advocate: go back literally one Superbowl before that and you will find two teams doing battle 70's style, in a Running Game to the death, featuring two RB's they each took in the 1st round - and built their attack around - for a final score of 13-3.
:angel:

God's advocate: The losing team had a total of 62 rushing yards. 10 carries for 35 was Gurley's lion's share. Clearly that first round RB that was given a massive contract was nearly worthless, even after being sat for the entire playoffs plus an extra week of prep for the Superbowl.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm
mild wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 pm :twisted:

:angel:

God's advocate: The losing team had a total of 62 rushing yards. 10 carries for 35 was Gurley's lion's share. Clearly that first round RB that was given a massive contract was nearly worthless, even after being sat for the entire playoffs plus an extra week of prep for the Superbowl.
8-)

Sanity's advocate - that approach got both teams to the Superbowl that season, and there are GM's that still think that this might work for them too. Could an RB be the best player on their board in the late 1st? Certainly this year. See: Gruden, Jon and his friend the May-ock for this exact play this time last year.

We just won't know until we know. (If I was a MIA fan, I'd be bracing but quietly optimistic with their moves to date - but they've basically bet it all on this draft)