DeAndre Hopkins could be traded

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Re: DeAndre Hopkins could be traded

Postby pvillebiker » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 am

Moving D-Hop screams out to me that the Texans do not want to pay him next re-up. Or can't with Watson's payday looming. Feels similar to the Pats moving Cooks after only 1 year - they simply didn't want to pay him what he would inevitably command the next year for the value they thought they'd get. They were correct.

But David freaking Johnson is all the Texans got back? Don't they know he's done. LOL Will be fascinating to see if he has a Carlos Hyde-like revival in H-town. I wouldn't bet on it though!

O'Brien learning on the job how to be a GM?
Last edited by pvillebiker on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:59 am

pvillebiker wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 am Moving D-Hop screams out to me that the Texans do not want to pay him next re-up. Or can't with Watson's payday looming. Feels similar to the Pats moving Cooks after only 1 year - they simply didn't want to pay him what he would inevitably command the next year for the value they thought they'd get. They were correct.

But David freaking Johnson is all they got back? Don't they know he's done. LOL Will be fascinating to see if he has a Carlos Hyde-like revival in H-town. I wouldn't bet on it though!
Agreed. However they got a 2nd back. Hopkins is trending downwards, and not just Watson, but Tunsel needs to be paid. They paid 2 firsts plus for the guy, they have to re-up him over Hopkins. The DJ trade made sense for both teams. DJ can be cut after this year with very minimal dead cap, and he is still a very apt pass catcher, which they can use after losing Hopkins.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm

MyTeam wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 am I just sent Hopkins and DK for 1.2, 1.3, Juju and Kerryon
THe thread moved on, but I love this trade for you. Well done.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:04 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:37 am
Zacsby wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 am Hopkins lost a step? Hes 28. His game has never really been about having a step anyway. Sad for Deshaun, excited to see what they'll draw up for him in Arizona
It doesn't really matter. He clearly did. His ADOT and YPR were way down, and he was not winning down the field. I personally understand the move by the Texans. They need to pay Watson a fortune, and they paid 2 firsts for Tunsel, so they really need to make him a priority. Hopkins was going to probably hold out to get a raise at some point, and they really don't have the money for that.

Hopkins should fit well at replacing Fitz in that dink and dunk offense in AZ. He was mostly used on short targets last year, which is what Arizona runs a lot.
Doesn't really matter he was still top 5 in PPR scoring. But yeah hes clearly losing it. Lol
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:20 pm

The Hopkins is trending downward vibe to me seems legit on the surface when looking at stats, but, at his age, I believe he still has 2 perhaps 3 years of fantasy #1wr type seasons left. When people loosely say that he is trending down, I think that is lazy analysis. His game was never really predicated on blazing straight line speed, so the dip in yards per reception isn't something I'd totally put on him until more is seen. I see Arizona as a big winner in this move. Hopkins probably a lateral move, Kyler Murray gets a nice bump with the arrival of Nuk and at this time, it seems that Drake's fantasy stock just went up while Watson's takes a hit. Without a sure handed legit dependable #1 wr, I don't think the passing game will be as steady. Houston's offense took a step back with this move imo. Lots of pressure to now take a wr in the 2nd and not miss.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Zacsby wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:04 pm
Zacsby wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 am Hopkins lost a step? Hes 28. His game has never really been about having a step anyway. Sad for Deshaun, excited to see what they'll draw up for him in Arizona
It doesn't really matter. He clearly did. His ADOT and YPR were way down, and he was not winning down the field. I personally understand the move by the Texans. They need to pay Watson a fortune, and they paid 2 firsts for Tunsel, so they really need to make him a priority. Hopkins was going to probably hold out to get a raise at some point, and they really don't have the money for that.

Hopkins should fit well at replacing Fitz in that dink and dunk offense in AZ. He was mostly used on short targets last year, which is what Arizona runs a lot.
Doesn't really matter he was still top 5 in PPR scoring. But yeah hes clearly losing it. Lol
Not talking about Fantasy here. Talking real football. His ADOT and YPR, and the way he couldn't make plays down the field nearly as much, meant they were not inclined to give him the raise he'd be looking for when they need to sign Watson and a tackle they paid 2 plus firsts for. Catching a ton of 8 yard passes may be good for Fantasy, but it's not what a team who needs to sign their franchise QB and LT are going to want for 19 million a year.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Will Fuller is going to be a beast for the 6 games he plays this season
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm
MyTeam wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 am I just sent Hopkins and DK for 1.2, 1.3, Juju and Kerryon
THe thread moved on, but I love this trade for you. Well done.
:lol: Thanks! I thought it was a good move too.
Team 1: 12 team, PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex

Mahomes, Lawrence
Najee, Swift, Javonte, Jamaal W, Murray
DK, DJM, Juju, Jameson, Gallup, Van
Pitts, Friermuth
1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.10, 2 firsts next year

Team 2: 12 Team, SF TEP (1.5 PPR)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 SF

Mahomes, Burrow, Cousins, Rudolph
CEH, Swift, Gibson, Jacobs, Mattison, Scott, McFarland
DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson
Andrews, H. Henry, Sternberger, Alie-Cox, Herndon

Same as Team 2
Watson, Burrow, Lance, Z. Wilson
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
Hockenson, Thomas, Albert O, Njoku
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
TLaw, Burrow, Watson, Darnold
CEH, Gus, Cohen
Juju, Chark, Shenault, Boyd, Landry, Renfrow, Robinson,
Engram, Kmet, Firkser, Schultz, Arnold, Herndon
5 additional firsts

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:11 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Not talking about Fantasy here. Talking real football. His ADOT and YPR, and the way he couldn't make plays down the field nearly as much, meant they were not inclined to give him the raise he'd be looking for when they need to sign Watson and a tackle they paid 2 plus firsts for. Catching a ton of 8 yard passes may be good for Fantasy, but it's not what a team who needs to sign their franchise QB and LT are going to want for 19 million a year.
And they’re paying a running back, who’s specialty is receiving, ten million a year when they already have Duke Johnson on the roster... Even financially this is questionable.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:12 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:11 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:40 pm

And they’re paying a running back, who’s specialty is receiving, ten million a year when they already have Duke Johnson on the roster... Even financially this is questionable.
Not really, because DJ is only 1 more year of a big hit. Hopkins has 3 years left, and was looking for an upgrade on the contract. With Watson and Tunsel coming up, it makes sense.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm

So I'm assuming that Houston will be a positive landing spot for any of the heralded rookie WRs?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm So I'm assuming that Houston will be a positive landing spot for any of the heralded rookie WRs?
Yes it will. Watson is a Stud QB.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm
jordanzs wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm So I'm assuming that Houston will be a positive landing spot for any of the heralded rookie WRs?
I'm assuming the 40th pick will be a WR.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:09 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm assuming the 40th pick will be a WR.
Tee Higgins to Houston.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:44 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 am Moving D-Hop screams out to me that the Texans do not want to pay him next re-up. Or can't with Watson's payday looming. Feels similar to the Pats moving Cooks after only 1 year - they simply didn't want to pay him what he would inevitably command the next year for the value they thought they'd get. They were correct.

But David freaking Johnson is all the Texans got back? Don't they know he's done. LOL Will be fascinating to see if he has a Carlos Hyde-like revival in H-town. I wouldn't bet on it though!

O'Brien learning on the job how to be a GM?
This appears to be what happened from the reports that are coming in. Hopkins wanted to re-do his deal, the Texans said no, and they traded him to a team that will. If Hopkins gets his deal reworked, then it would increase his salary starting next season. So, while Johnson and Hopkins make similar money this year at the moment, it's kind of misleading.

Either way, the Texans got taken to the cleaners. You mentioned Brandin Cooks. The Saints AND Patriots got first round picks for him. The Texans essentially only got a 2nd.