CBA Approved

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: CBA Approved

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:01 pm

No I don't think it creates anymore injuries than there already is. It's not like players haven't played 17 games in a season, they could play up to 20 meaningful games in a season under the current format. And how many more injuries has a team like NE who is in the playoffs every year suffered? With medical and technological advances for equipment, plus the leagues continuous updating of rules regarding on-field contact the game is only going to get safer.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm

BlueThunder wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:55 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm guessing long-term the plan will be for every team to play an international game during the season.

If they do an international game each week, then each team will still have 8 true home games.
That's all well and good, but it does nothing for the immediate future, and it creates a competitive advantage for half the league. No other league does this. With the least amount of games compared to other leagues, an extra home game is a massive advantage for a team. It's poorly thought out, but they only care about money, so it clearly doesn't matter to them.
I read somewhere that they are considering doing the extra home games by conference. One year, the AFC would have the extra home game and then the next year, it would be the NFC's turn. Makes sense to me.
I read that too, but it doesn't change the disparity within the year. If you are in a playoff race that season, the extra game 1 way or the other can be the difference to making it or not. It's a poor solution.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:19 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:01 pm No I don't think it creates anymore injuries than there already is. It's not like players haven't played 17 games in a season, they could play up to 20 meaningful games in a season under the current format. And how many more injuries has a team like NE who is in the playoffs every year suffered? With medical and technological advances for equipment, plus the leagues continuous updating of rules regarding on-field contact the game is only going to get safer.
That's exactly where I went, some teams play a bunch more games every year, plus it might be the only way I'll ever see the browns play a 17th game!!!

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm

That's all well and good, but it does nothing for the immediate future, and it creates a competitive advantage for half the league. No other league does this. With the least amount of games compared to other leagues, an extra home game is a massive advantage for a team. It's poorly thought out, but they only care about money, so it clearly doesn't matter to them.
I read somewhere that they are considering doing the extra home games by conference. One year, the AFC would have the extra home game and then the next year, it would be the NFC's turn. Makes sense to me.
I read that too, but it doesn't change the disparity within the year. If you are in a playoff race that season, the extra game 1 way or the other can be the difference to making it or not. It's a poor solution.
FF, you seem really upset about the extra game, especially considering the global pandemic. We still have football, man. I don't think you're wrong about any of this, but don't worry. It'll be alright. :thumbup:
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Yeah in a few years no1 will care they added an extra game.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Interested to see if my Martavis Bryant pickup during the last week of waivers pays off in any way now.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

BlueThunder
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby BlueThunder » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:54 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm

But wouldn't you only be in a playoff race with other teams from the same conference? So the playing field would be theoretically even as all teams in the race would have had the same number of home games (either 8 or 9 depending on the year).

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm

CGW wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:36 pm Yeah in a few years no1 will care they added an extra game.
Will they when the owners push for an 18 game schedule in 2030? I think so.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:03 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:01 pm No I don't think it creates anymore injuries than there already is. It's not like players haven't played 17 games in a season, they could play up to 20 meaningful games in a season under the current format. And how many more injuries has a team like NE who is in the playoffs every year suffered? With medical and technological advances for equipment, plus the leagues continuous updating of rules regarding on-field contact the game is only going to get safer.
The decrease number of preseason padded practices could be a factor for greater injury risk since that is how players get into game shape. Getting your body used to being hit is better coming from a teammate than an opponent.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:24 pm

They don't play football for the first time ever when they enter the NFL, they've been playing for years and are used to it. If players needed the live reps so much to prepare for the season they wouldn't push for less full pad practices in every CBA.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:29 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:24 pm They don't play football for the first time ever when they enter the NFL, they've been playing for years and are used to it. If players needed the live reps so much to prepare for the season they wouldn't push for less full pad practices in every CBA.
.... so players who hold out and miss out on preseason practices don't see an increase in injury risk?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Those players aren't on the same level aof preparation as the ones who participated in the full offseason and preseason program, so obviously they won't be in as good of shape immediately, but that doesn't mean they "aren't used to getting hit". Every team will still be getting an equal amount of work, it just won't be as much as before, so the playing field will still be level.

Again if this wasn't something the players felt would improve their ability to perform they wouldn't push so hard for it all the time, they know the rigors of playing Professional Football far better than any of us ever will.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:13 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm
CGW wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:36 pm Yeah in a few years no1 will care they added an extra game.
Will they when the owners push for an 18 game schedule in 2030? I think so.
Yeah the players let the owners have a 17 game schedule without a fight, just think about that. No pushback at all. 18 game season is a mere formality at this point. The players got concessions on practice, as if the owners care about practice!!!! LMAO.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Owners still have more preseason games and "50% revenue split" as bargaining chips for the next CBA. NFLPA is going to fold every time because they have such a large membership compared to the other sports, the owners just need to appeal to the bottom 60% of the players who don't make nearly the amount of money that all the big names who speak out against the CBA do. I'm sure 18 games comes up again in 2030, and if it doesn't get approved in that one it will be in the next CBA.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 am

Here’s an interesting idea:

Since the NFL season will be 18 weeks, how about running the fantasy season from weeks 2 to 17?

Let week 1 be an evaluation week for our teams. Sorta like preseason is for the NFL.

Maybe do a DFS style payout for the top week 1 score, but let the season long records start at week 2