CBA Approved

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: CBA Approved

Postby Vcize » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am

djeternal2 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am
UATahoe wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:52 am Also helped by a significant reduction in padded practices. That reduction alone I think I heard would get rid of almost 500 full action snaps. Granted it’s still practice but it’s still a significant reduction in wear and tear.
1st step to flag football or 2 hand touch. Sure it's less wear & tear but why do you think tackling has gotten so much worse in the last 10-15 years? No 2 a days. Fewer & fewer padded practices. Hard to work on tackling technique in a walkthrough.
Has tackling really gotten worse?

I remember watching some old Jim Brown clips and the guys doing the tackling look like pee-wee football players with their laughable efforts.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:18 am

Vcize wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am
UATahoe wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:52 am Also helped by a significant reduction in padded practices. That reduction alone I think I heard would get rid of almost 500 full action snaps. Granted it’s still practice but it’s still a significant reduction in wear and tear.
1st step to flag football or 2 hand touch. Sure it's less wear & tear but why do you think tackling has gotten so much worse in the last 10-15 years? No 2 a days. Fewer & fewer padded practices. Hard to work on tackling technique in a walkthrough.

I remember watching some old Jim Brown clips and the guys doing the tackling look like pee-wee football players with their laughable efforts.
Just sounds like a real conservative take. Just like how the old heads talk about how basketball players used to be so much better back in the day, when in reality all athletes and training in general has only gotten better

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:50 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:18 am
Vcize wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am

Just sounds like a real conservative take. Just like how the old heads talk about how basketball players used to be so much better back in the day, when in reality all athletes and training in general has only gotten better
So your take is that you don't have to work on something to get better at it?

Fact there are no more 2 a days. (Gone since 2011 CBA)
Fact there are less padded practices therefore less chances to work on tackling in practice. (2011 CBA stated 14 padded practices in season with 11 during the first 11 weeks & 3 the final 6 weeks. And only 2 padded practices in a week allowed once during the season)
Fact the new CBA reduces padded practices even more. (New deal goes from 28 padded practices to 16 during training camp)

So all in all the players will have a total of 30 padded practices to practice tackling from the start of camp to the postseason. During the postseason it's 1 padded practice per week. So less chances to work at a skill and yet because players are bigger & faster than 20 years they are better at tackling?

As for watching Jim Brown yeah he was a man amongst boys of course defenders looked like pee-wee players compared to him. I can't find data for the 50's-60's but the 70's LB averaged around 226 and DB around 188 and Brown played at 232. Since historical data shows gradually gaining with LBs gaining 12 lbs on average from the 70's to early 00's and DBs gaining 9 lbs on average I would believe the LBs/DBs he faced were the same weight if not smaller during his playing days.

Here's where I found info on the reduction in previous padded practices: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... r-new-cba/

Here's where I found the info on player weights: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... html?p=493

Here's where I found info on the reduction of padded practices under the new deal: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/288 ... st-changes
Last edited by djeternal2 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am

If tackling really has gotten worse, then I think the culprit is likely earlier stages in the development curve than NFL practice, or maybe it's just that in a pass first league, there are fewer tackles than there were 40 years ago.

In more important news, no more cannabis suspensions!
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:06 pm

NFL is officially a mickey mouse league. Wow. 9 home games vs 8 for other teams. What a joke.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:06 pm NFL is officially a mickey mouse league. Wow. 9 home games vs 8 for other teams. What a joke.
I'm guessing long-term the plan will be for every team to play an international game during the season.

If they do an international game each week, then each team will still have 8 true home games.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:06 pm NFL is officially a mickey mouse league. Wow. 9 home games vs 8 for other teams. What a joke.
I'm guessing long-term the plan will be for every team to play an international game during the season.

If they do an international game each week, then each team will still have 8 true home games.
That's all well and good, but it does nothing for the immediate future, and it creates a competitive advantage for half the league. No other league does this. With the least amount of games compared to other leagues, an extra home game is a massive advantage for a team. It's poorly thought out, but they only care about money, so it clearly doesn't matter to them.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 pm

That's all well and good, but it does nothing for the immediate future, and it creates a competitive advantage for half the league. No other league does this. With the least amount of games compared to other leagues, an extra home game is a massive advantage for a team. It's poorly thought out, but they only care about money, so it clearly doesn't matter to them.
This was the case when they started playing international games though. No other sports league has a team play 1/8th of their home games at a neutral site in London either.

But seriously, somebody wake up Josh Gordon! LFG!
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm

How will this affect dynasty? I'm guessing teams like mine that are more RB heavy are in for a fall. Shorter careers, more RBBC, less points per game for RB's as their usage is curbed to handle the extra game over the years.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Nothing will change on RB usage game to game, HCs only focus on gameday is winning that game, they won't be preserving guys for down the road. That's just not how things work in the NFL, unlike MLB with pitch counts or NBA with minutes restrictions. There will be a slight adjustment, but it will just become the new normal and in a few years no one will think anything of it. I'm sure going from 14 games to 16 games was viewed as crazy by some back in the day, now 16 just seems like the normal number.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:05 pm

UATahoe wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:01 am I’m with you on the extra week. Love the idea for fantasy purposes.
My co commish and I have been discussing it, and we are likely not going to change our Fantasy season for year 1 of the 17 game season, until we see how teams handle the resting of players late in the year.

I know another commish I've spoken to has no plans of changing them, either. He also pointed out that in the new CBA, training camp is going from 28 practices to 16. We both agree September football is going to be terrible quality as a result.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:51 pm Nothing will change on RB usage game to game, HCs only focus on gameday is winning that game, they won't be preserving guys for down the road. That's just not how things work in the NFL, unlike MLB with pitch counts or NBA with minutes restrictions. There will be a slight adjustment, but it will just become the new normal and in a few years no one will think anything of it. I'm sure going from 14 games to 16 games was viewed as crazy by some back in the day, now 16 just seems like the normal number.

Well said. :thumbup:

People said the same thing about the introduction of the DH in Baseball & changes to the pitching mound. Once it becomes the new norm, it will no longer be considered outlandish.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:52 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:51 pm Nothing will change on RB usage game to game, HCs only focus on gameday is winning that game, they won't be preserving guys for down the road. That's just not how things work in the NFL, unlike MLB with pitch counts or NBA with minutes restrictions. There will be a slight adjustment, but it will just become the new normal and in a few years no one will think anything of it. I'm sure going from 14 games to 16 games was viewed as crazy by some back in the day, now 16 just seems like the normal number.

Well said. :thumbup:

People said the same thing about the introduction of the DH in Baseball & changes to the pitching mound. Once it becomes the new norm, it will no longer be considered outlandish.
You don't think it will cause more injuries and shorten careers?

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:53 pm

I don’t think you can say definitively either way honestly. So the only thing to do is roll with it.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

BlueThunder
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby BlueThunder » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:55 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 pm

I read somewhere that they are considering doing the extra home games by conference. One year, the AFC would have the extra home game and then the next year, it would be the NFC's turn. Makes sense to me.