Xfl league discussion.

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Xfl league discussion.

Postby Ray Finkle » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:18 pm
Ray Finkle wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am I honestly thought they’d be able to pull a few more names than they have. Manziel, AB or Josh Gordon types would help quite a bit. What’s Justin Blackmon up to?

I suppose they probably don’t pay enough.
I read somewhere that the each player on the winning team gets a victory bonus of $2,222 a player, but I like that idea, sorta like a “bounty” if you will.
That is pretty sweet if that’s true. A few $2k victory bonuses is probably a healthy % of some of these salaries. That’ll add some late game incentive for sure.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:15 pm
Ray Finkle wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am I honestly thought they’d be able to pull a few more names than they have. Manziel, AB or Josh Gordon types would help quite a bit. What’s Justin Blackmon up to?

I suppose they probably don’t pay enough.
I read somewhere that the each player on the winning team gets a victory bonus of $2,222 a player, but I like that idea, sorta like a “bounty” if you will.
That is pretty sweet if that’s true. A few $2k victory bonuses is probably a healthy % of some of these salaries. That’ll add some late game incentive for sure.

I googled it and got this off Sporting News, obviously not NFL money but not bad.

XFL salary structure
Average salary: $55,000
Bi-weekly paycheck: $2,080
Activation fee: $1,685
Victory bonus: $2,222
A memo sent from the XFL to agents explained the details of how they'd be paid. Players will be paid on a bi-weekly basis with a base paycheck of $2,080. If they are active for a game they will receive a bonus (activation fee) of $1,685. If their team wins they get an extra bonus of $2,222.
According to the memo sent by the league to agents it says "a player may earn up to $4,947 per game week." That's taking into account half of the base paycheck ($1,040), the activation fee and the victory bonus.
Contracts for players in the XFL this season start from Dec. 3, 2019 to May 31, 2020 if they remain in the league for the full season.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 pm

I googled it and got this off Sporting News, obviously not NFL money but not bad.

XFL salary structure
A memo sent from the XFL to agents explained the details of how they'd be paid. Players will be paid on a bi-weekly basis with a base paycheck of $2,080. If they are active for a game they will receive a bonus (activation fee) of $1,685. If their team wins they get an extra bonus of $2,222.
According to the memo sent by the league to agents it says "a player may earn up to $4,947 per game week." That's taking into account half of the base paycheck ($1,040), the activation fee and the victory bonus.
Contracts for players in the XFL this season start from Dec. 3, 2019 to May 31, 2020 if they remain in the league for the full season.
That makes sense because I heard Oliver Luck or one of those XFL dudes saying the QBs are making about 10x more than players at other positions because the league wanted to lure bigger names at QB. I heard him mention the $500,000 number talking about one of the QBs.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am

XFL salary structure
I wonder if the XFL would ever be a viable option for high-end college players who are not draft-eligible.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am

XFL salary structure
I wonder if the XFL would ever be a viable option for high-end college players who are not draft-eligible.
I would say it could be possible down the line. The main thing is for the league to survive a couple of seasons, maybe even expand to show that it’s not going away like every other league that has attempted a spring league.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm

The XFL will fail because they’re competing with the NFL, when they should instead be competing with the NCAA.

I think more people would watch if they were poaching the top sophomores and juniors and offering to pay them.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm The XFL will fail because they’re competing with the NFL, when they should instead be competing with the NCAA.

I think more people would watch if they were poaching the top sophomores and juniors and offering to pay them.
They aren't really competing with either though, since neither is on TV when they are. I agree though that they should be trying to lure high-end college players. That would be the game changer.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:11 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm The XFL will fail because they’re competing with the NFL, when they should instead be competing with the NCAA.

They aren't really competing with either though, since neither is on TV when they are. I agree though that they should be trying to lure high-end college players. That would be the game changer.
Sorry, I should clarify- right now they’re “competing” with the NFL for talent. Instead they should be competing with the NCAA for talent.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 am

Why? NFL scrubs are better talent wise than almost all NCAA players, except top talent, which won't sacrifice their NFL future for a few $5k paychecks.

Plus NFL scrubs do bring a small amount of name recognition ....

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 am Why? NFL scrubs are better talent wise than almost all NCAA players, except top talent, which won't sacrifice their NFL future for a few $5k paychecks.

How would they be “sacrificing their future”? The NFL won’t let them play until they’re three years out of high school. Why not make some money for yourself instead of allowing a major university to exploit you? Are you of the opinion that the risk of a career-ending injury is higher in the XFL than in college?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:41 am

M-Dub wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 am Why? NFL scrubs are better talent wise than almost all NCAA players, except top talent, which won't sacrifice their NFL future for a few $5k paychecks.

How would they be “sacrificing their future”? The NFL won’t let them play until they’re three years out of high school. Why not make some money for yourself instead of allowing a major university to exploit you? Are you of the opinion that the risk of a career-ending injury is higher in the XFL than in college?
probably not, but there's a risk the NFL might snub someone who went XFL instead of college.
college will probably help you more in learning and improving rather than the XFL.
universities exploit you, but they also give you a degree, which some people value.
and i don't believe the top prospects are not "paid" in some way or another.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:41 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:41 am

probably not, but there's a risk the NFL might snub someone who went XFL instead of college.
college will probably help you more in learning and improving rather than the XFL.
universities exploit you, but they also give you a degree, which some people value.
and i don't believe the top prospects are not "paid" in some way or another.
Theoretically, you could do two years of college, then go to the XFL for one year, and then to the NFL. That way you put enough on tape in college to prove your legitimacy to traditionalists, and then you can make money for a year and still attend classes in college.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Imagine a high schooler choosing the XFL over college and then not making the NFL (which isn't a given from college anyway). Where do they go from there? Maybe it would be different if the salaries were more than an average paying job. Even then, plenty of professionals (of every walk) still blow millions.

I just don't see it as a viable option. Would be funny to see an 18 year old LB trying to take down the elite Christine Michael though

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:39 pm

I hate to paint with too broad a brush, and I’m sure there are some actual student-athletes who genuinely take their studies seriously, but most high level 4- and 5-star recruits likely view playing college football as a means to an end. It’s basically a glorified, three-year audition for the NFL. The classes they’re taking are often designed solely to prop up their GPAs and keep them academically eligible. Plus, if all goes according to plan, they’re hoping to leave a year or two early anyway. Again, I’m not saying this applies to EVERY college football player, but I think it at least applies to most of the high-end recruits.

As far as drawbacks go, the main one is probably just the viability of the XFL as a whole. If a player went straight to the XFL out of high school and the league folded a year later, they’d be stuck twiddling their thumbs for two years until they’re eligible for the NFL. I think it’s incredibly unlikely that the NFL would blackball players simply for playing in the XFL instead of college. The NFL is looking to make money, so they’re not going to just turn away highly talented players (unless, of course, they have the audacity to speak out against police murdering unarmed black men at an alarming rate).

Ultimately, I think it will come down to how long the league survives in its current form. If they at least finish this season and TV ratings and attendance are decent, we might see a handful of high schoolers or underclassmen roll the dice and bet on themselves (and the league sticking around for a while). That could start a snowball effect that could ultimately lead to the XFL being a viable alternative to getting paid nothing to play college football for three years.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..