Super Bowl 54

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Super Bowl 54

Postby Ray Finkle » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:05 am

Shabahan on the wrong side of another SB comeback. That’ll be a topic surrounding him come playoff time going forward.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 am

remedy29 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:52 am
AussieMate wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:47 pm Hill almost didn't get that 1st down by egregious dancing, 1 step forward and he had it, so risky.
KC did that a lot throughout the game. It was part of their strategy to counter SF very aggressive defense.
Yep, and it quite often resulted in very big gains. 49ers defenders come in fast and hard but aren't breaking down in their tackle form. That's going to lead to bigger hits, forced fumbles, and at times bigger lost yards, but it also is susceptible to over-pursuit and completely missing the tackle, which happened a lot in this game.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 am
AussieMate wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:47 pm Hill almost didn't get that 1st down by egregious dancing, 1 step forward and he had it, so risky.
KC did that a lot throughout the game. It was part of their strategy to counter SF very aggressive defense.
Yep, and it quite often resulted in very big gains. 49ers defenders come in fast and hard but aren't breaking down in their tackle form. That's going to lead to bigger hits, forced fumbles, and at times bigger lost yards, but it also is susceptible to over-pursuit and completely missing the tackle, which happened a lot in this game.
I remember it very differently. I recall Kelce dancing around twice within a yard of the first down not making it and once for Hill. Their dancing around worked in other plays, but not when they were within a yard of the first down line.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 am

Bah.

Scrambling QBs were a problem for the 49ers all season. That was the achilles heel and Mahomes took advantage.

Two huge fumbles in the game went in the Chiefs direction. One out of bounds and the other right back in front of Mahomes to recover.

Two huge 4th down conversions by the Chiefs.

One huge OPI call on Kittle. Took away a HUGE gain and a potential momentum swing.

Many huge third down conversions by Mahomes, and many good defensive stops late in the game by the Chiefs.

Niners were up by two scores with 9 minutes to go and had the ball in their possession. The following HAD to happen or else the Chiefs lose:
-- Chiefs needed a stop
-- Chiefs needed a score
-- Chiefs needed another stop
-- Chiefs needed another score
-- Chiefs needed one final stop

If any of that doesn't happen in the final 9 minutes, the game would turn out differently. Everyone is touting the offense but that defense stepped up huge. Kudos to the coaching staff. The players made it happen but the preparation was phenomenal....... damnit......
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 am

I think the penalties were pretty fair overall, and I think bad luck on forcing but not recovering fumbles is the unlucky reason SF ultimately lost. However, am I the only one that noticed a huge, blatant hold on the offensive line on the bomb to Tyreek Hill?
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am

Don't think it's unfair to say that Jimmy G was/is very average.

After stopping KC under the 2min warning, they appear to not trust him enough to try and lead a scoring drive before the half.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:33 am

Servo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am Don't think it's unfair to say that Jimmy G was/is very average.

After stopping KC under the 2min warning, they appear to not trust him enough to try and lead a scoring drive before the half.
I agree.
My observation has been that for the most part he plays ok with a lead or in low pressure situations, but when the pressure is on he often struggles.

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 am

Servo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am After stopping KC under the 2min warning, they appear to not trust him enough to try and lead a scoring drive before the half.
I thought that was very strange in a superbowl situation. KC is going for it on multiple 4th down and SF doesn't even try.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Straycatz2 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 am
Servo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am After stopping KC under the 2min warning, they appear to not trust him enough to try and lead a scoring drive before the half.
I thought that was very strange in a superbowl situation. KC is going for it on multiple 4th down and SF doesn't even try.
I didn't like that either, but there may be a reason.

If they don't succeed in getting a first down, and KC uses their own timeouts, that may leave KC with a lot of time to get into scoring range after a SF punt. They likely had that Kittle sideline bomb play ready and were setting it up by the early runs on that drive, so they were overly concerned about the clock from their own perspective.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:01 pm
Straycatz2 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 am
I didn't like that either, but there may be a reason.

If they don't succeed in getting a first down, and KC uses their own timeouts, that may leave KC with a lot of time to get into scoring range after a SF punt. They likely had that Kittle sideline bomb play ready and were setting it up by the early runs on that drive, so they were overly concerned about the clock from their own perspective.
SF was going to let the clock run out, but KC called the timeout. Then they ran that play to Kittle on 3rd down. One team was playing scared and not to lose. While the other one was aggressive and playing to win. We know which one ended up with the victory.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:24 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 pm One team was playing scared and not to lose. While the other one was aggressive and playing to win. We know which one ended up with the victory.
and if the "scared" team won, it would have been the reasoned team against the reckless one...

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 pm SF was going to let the clock run out, but KC called the timeout. Then they ran that play to Kittle on 3rd down. One team was playing scared and not to lose. While the other one was aggressive and playing to win. We know which one ended up with the victory.
This exactly. SF basically told Garoppolo that they had no faith in him to run a 2 min drill. They had a great opportunity to score a TD or at least get into FG range to go into the half with a lead. Their defense had been limiting Mahomes and KC well in the first half, so there was really no good reason to not use their timeouts. The Kittle OPI call was iffy, but it doesn't justify Shanahan's decision to throw away a free drive on offense.

Also, I'll say that Garoppolo did not play well under pressure in the second half, but neither did SF's vaunted defense. Garoppolo could've been a hero if he'd put just a tiny bit less air on that bomb to Sanders. Ultimately Mahomes > Garoppolo did matter, but I'm seeing a lot of Garoppolo hate.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:52 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:24 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 pm One team was playing scared and not to lose. While the other one was aggressive and playing to win. We know which one ended up with the victory.
and if the "scared" team won, it would have been the reasoned team against the reckless one...
But they didn't...

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:25 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 am

I remember it very differently. I recall Kelce dancing around twice within a yard of the first down not making it and once for Hill. Their dancing around worked in other plays, but not when they were within a yard of the first down line.
That's how I remembered it as well, I've got no issue going for more yards but not when you can just fall over the 1st down line.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:43 pm

AussieMate wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:25 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 am

That's how I remembered it as well, I've got no issue going for more yards but not when you can just fall over the 1st down line.
Yeah, Kelce and Hill's dance moves at the 1st down line cost them 2 first downs. But Damien Williams gained a TON of yards by doing the same thing. You win some and you lose some. The difference was that Hill and Kelce were right at the first down line and their dancing led to 3rd and 1's... where Damien was 5-6 yards behind the line to gain. If SF had stopped them on 3rd and 1 in both those instances things could have turned out much different, but KC converted both those 3rd downs.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01