OBJ: LSU sanctions?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: OBJ: LSU sanctions?

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:07 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Well, Burrow has just come out and said the money was real. There is a possibility. Either way, OBJ is an idiot. His narcissistic behavior has put his alma mater under investigation after a National Championship win.
How is he displaying narcissistic qualities or seeking attention by handing out money?

Was it a dumb thing to do? Yeah probably?

Was he celebrating his alma mater's first National Championship with their players that he's probably mentored / tutored? Yeah.

Is what he did narcissistic? I don't think so.

Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration.
Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.

Those are some traits. I am certainly not professionally qualified to comment, but I observe these tendencies in his actions, and not just on this occasion. He's 26 and still acts like an immature self centered and entitled person IMO. Just really dislike this because it puts attention on him, rather than what LSU did, for a brief moment. There were other LSU alumns there that night, and tons of former players who celebrated without drawing the attention to themselves. OBJ was the only one. It's just another reason, I suppose, that I won't roster him anymore. His production isn't that great these days, and he's really hard to like, for me. Anyone, we all see it differently. I won't go on about it anymore. That's my opinion on it.
Yeah, I could tell before this explanation that you had a personal thing against OBJ.

All good.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm

My memory is foggy on the details, but didn't LSU's coach get suspended indefinitely last year, right before March Madness? The school was still ok, but he had to sit and I cannot recall if he came back in the tourney or not. OBJ could have done that off the field and not been on camera (like he wanted the most). Not a important thing for the powers that be to get bent out of shape over, but you now they will, and rules=rules (no matter how unfair or petty). OBJ knew that and just wanted the championship spotlight to be on him, with his alma mater not being enough. I actually thought the clip I saw really looked like Monopoly money, but allegedly not.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Meh, all this does it take the spot light off what AB just did. Not that big of a deal, hopefully it doesnt hurt LSU. However the NCAA is utterly dumb in every way.

Whittles12
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Whittles12 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 pm

All OBJ did was give bread to a couple a dudes. And I’m sure it went something like “come get this NFL bread. You just balled out, let’s get this money” I bet everyone that got cash ain’t coming back to school. So, no harm no foul to me. If the NCAA wants to make it a big deal. Go ahead but they profit enough these athletes. Let them enjoy this accomplishment. How many people actually get to go experience this type of moment. Those tickets cost plenty along with everything else that game brought in.
12 Tm 28 man roster
SF TEP 1Ppr(2 TE)Start 10 Q-R-R-W-W-W-T-SF-F-F
Q- Rodgers, Carr, Levis, mariota, O’Connell Haener, Brady, Zappe
R- CMC, D Johnson, D Harris, Warren, K. Ingram, t jones singletary.
W- Hill, Olave, Allen, Lockett, puka, m. Wilson, Mingo,Van, Hodgins, McKenzie
T- Kelce, Muth.
2024- 1st.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:31 am

Friction wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm My memory is foggy on the details, but didn't LSU's coach get suspended indefinitely last year, right before March Madness? The school was still ok, but he had to sit and I cannot recall if he came back in the tourney or not. OBJ could have done that off the field and not been on camera (like he wanted the most). Not a important thing for the powers that be to get bent out of shape over, but you now they will, and rules=rules (no matter how unfair or petty). OBJ knew that and just wanted the championship spotlight to be on him, with his alma mater not being enough. I actually thought the clip I saw really looked like Monopoly money, but allegedly not.
He was suspended during the (LSU led) investigation which included the tournament. However the investigation found no wrong doing and the NCAA didn't care to look any further. After tapes of him talking about the monetary offer he made to a then recruit (by the time the tapes were released the player was on LSU) were released. The player in question also never missed a game, and the coach is still coaching at LSU.
I'm not saying nothing will happen, I'm just sure nothing significant will happen. Like I said, the returning players will be "investigated" by LSU. It will be said that they paid the money back, and the worst thing that will happen is they miss the meaningless 1st game of the season against a cakewalk team. I doubt LSU is bothered by it, they probably know they get more from the free publicity than anything they lose.
It's also kinda funny that everyone is upset about the cash, but no one cares about the $300 headphones OBJ gifted each player before the game, because for some reason that's not a violation.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:31 am
Friction wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm My memory is foggy on the details, but didn't LSU's coach get suspended indefinitely last year, right before March Madness? The school was still ok, but he had to sit and I cannot recall if he came back in the tourney or not. OBJ could have done that off the field and not been on camera (like he wanted the most). Not a important thing for the powers that be to get bent out of shape over, but you now they will, and rules=rules (no matter how unfair or petty). OBJ knew that and just wanted the championship spotlight to be on him, with his alma mater not being enough. I actually thought the clip I saw really looked like Monopoly money, but allegedly not.
He was suspended during the (LSU led) investigation which included the tournament. However the investigation found no wrong doing and the NCAA didn't care to look any further. After tapes of him talking about the monetary offer he made to a then recruit (by the time the tapes were released the player was on LSU) were released. The player in question also never missed a game, and the coach is still coaching at LSU.
I'm not saying nothing will happen, I'm just sure nothing significant will happen. Like I said, the returning players will be "investigated" by LSU. It will be said that they paid the money back, and the worst thing that will happen is they miss the meaningless 1st game of the season against a cakewalk team. I doubt LSU is bothered by it, they probably know they get more from the free publicity than anything they lose.
It's also kinda funny that everyone is upset about the cash, but no one cares about the $300 headphones OBJ gifted each player before the game, because for some reason that's not a violation.
It's within the 450 dollar limit the NCAA allows. Nobody cares about that because there's no potential violation, it's not that complicated. Why would anyone get upset about something that doesn't violate the rules in place? Whether we think the rule about giving players cash is right or not is irrelevant, because it's there, so there are potential consequences, and that was known when he did it. It just showed incredibly poor judgment. There are hundreds of former LSU players celebrating that win, and only one of them did something that put them in a bad spot, and drew major attention to himself by doing so. He was obviously drunk, and sometimes we all do things that aren't the best idea when in that state, I know I have. It's not an excuse, however.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 am It's within the 450 dollar limit the NCAA allows. Nobody cares about that because there's no potential violation, it's not that complicated.
Right, I already pointed that out. I just think it's funny how stupid the rules are. But it's been proven in college Athletics and especially the SEC that no one really cares about the rules.
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 am It just showed incredibly poor judgment. There are hundreds of former LSU players celebrating that win, and only one of them did something that put them in a bad spot, and drew major attention to himself by doing so.
He really didn't. LSU is better off for getting free press (everyone talking about this a month before NSD definitely isn't hurting them). The players are better off because they get some cash. OBJ keeps his brand up, so he is better off. And a bunch of people get to feel important and wise while railing against how dumb he is for it, so I guess they are better off, too.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 am It's within the 450 dollar limit the NCAA allows. Nobody cares about that because there's no potential violation, it's not that complicated.
Right, I already pointed that out. I just think it's funny how stupid the rules are. But it's been proven in college Athletics and especially the SEC that no one really cares about the rules.
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 am It just showed incredibly poor judgment. There are hundreds of former LSU players celebrating that win, and only one of them did something that put them in a bad spot, and drew major attention to himself by doing so.
He really didn't. LSU is better off for getting free press (everyone talking about this a month before NSD definitely isn't hurting them). The players are better off because they get some cash. OBJ keeps his brand up, so he is better off. And a bunch of people get to feel important and wise while railing against how dumb he is for it, so I guess they are better off, too.
Yeah, I don't agree. Not exactly sure what it does to keep his brand up, LSU doesn't need free press, they just won the National Championship, and I don't think people feel important or wise saying it was a dumb move. I certainly don't. Maybe talk shows have something to talk about for a few days, but the idea LSU is better off for it is ludicrous, IMO.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am

How exactly is LSU going to be negatively affected by this? Do you think the NCAA takes scholarships? Bans then from a bowl? Recruiting image suffers? Are they going to get any worse punishment than a self-imposed benching of a a couple players in their meaningless 1st game against (checks notes...) University of Texas San Antonio?
I've already said exactly what I think will happen, and why I think it's a non story. Can I get a concrete prediction of something negative that will happen to LSU because of this?

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 am

All in all, I don't think it will affect NSD negatively or positively for LSU, but if something dumb like this started actually gaining steam with NCAA sanctions? That would hurt LSU as far publicity, plenty of times recruits pull out of a commitment if they fear their future school could be facing sanctions. I don't think the NCAA would go that far anyways, but it is the NCAA. You just never know with them. They are national champs and in the SEC, they will/are a hot name.
Valhalla's Father

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am

To be honest, I was surprised the headphones were not a big deal (to the media), but did not know about the $$ threshold.
Valhalla's Father

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 am

Aaand a warrant for OBJ's arrest because he slapped a cop's bleep.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 am

Friction wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 am All in all, I don't think it will affect NSD negatively or positively for LSU, but if something dumb like this started actually gaining steam with NCAA sanctions? That would hurt LSU as far publicity, plenty of times recruits pull out of a commitment if they fear their future school could be facing sanctions. I don't think the NCAA would go that far anyways, but it is the NCAA. You just never know with them. They are national champs and in the SEC, they will/are a hot name.
See I think we do know. They won't do anything to a big brand for something like this. Now when they can hammer a Rutgers or Colorado to make it look like they have some standards, they usually do. But we know nothing really is happening to LSU over this.
I don't know why it's ludicrous to think OBJ partying on TV with players and handing them cash would make LSU more interesting for high schoolers. Outside of Jerry Sandusky type press, all press is good press.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 am

Now Odell can add an arrest warrant to his name for simple battery against a police officer. What a Loser.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 am

Blueboy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 am Aaand a warrant for OBJ's arrest because he slapped a cop's bleep.
Lol what a joke. Shouldn't even be newsworthy