Rams offense in 2020

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Rams offense in 2020

Postby honcho55 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 am

Looking to start a discussion on this team going forward. I expected regression this year, but maybe not quite this much. And there were times they looked like the powerhouse they were in 2018, but other times they looked completely lost across the board.

Goff, imo, is in that annoying range of QB. I’d guess the consensus is that he played ‘past his potential’ last year. I think you still have to recognize him as a definite starting quality QB, maybe not top ten but possibly top 15, and certainly top 20-25. Still young. Tied to an offensively minded coach. Is there enough reason for optimism?

Gurley, I don’t wanna beat that dead horse. Looking at more of big picture for this team. Since this paragraph is RB... Henderson? Honestly can’t say I’ve seen him do anything, good or bad (which is bad news). Is this team going to draft an RB? Is Gurley gonna reclaim more carries?

WR/TE crew is most interesting to me though. Does Cooks have anything left? Aside from him there’s still at a minimum 4 names that could/should be fantasy relevant in woods kupp Everett and higbee.

What’s your take DLf forum? Is this team what it is now, or are they gonna get their legs back under em and be more like 2018?
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Rams offense in 2020

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 am

I highly doubt they draft a RB this year. I think they believe (and rightfully so) the biggest reason for the regression of their offense this year was the complete collapse of their Offensive Line. They went from having a top 5 OL with no injuries last year, to a bottom 10 OL riddled with injuries and lineup changes this year. Restoring that OL has to be the primary focus of the offseason, and then they will get a look at if Gurley truly is shot. The defense was solid, especially with Ramsey in the fold, they were just getting worn out in time of possession and not having an offense that could pick up the slack. If they fix the OL then they'll be able to identify the true weaknesses in other areas of the team, but their primary issues stem from poor OL play.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 amI think they believe (and rightfully so) the biggest reason for the regression of their offense this year was the complete collapse of their Offensive Line.
This is what I think too. The o-line will be better and hopefully McVay can adapt to playing with a weaker o-line in case of injury too.

I'd be buying on Goff, not actively targeting Gurley unless he's very cheap, and cautious with those WRs & TEs.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 pm

honcho55 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 am Looking to start a discussion on this team going forward. I expected regression this year, but maybe not quite this much. And there were times they looked like the powerhouse they were in 2018, but other times they looked completely lost across the board.

Goff, imo, is in that annoying range of QB. I’d guess the consensus is that he played ‘past his potential’ last year. I think you still have to recognize him as a definite starting quality QB, maybe not top ten but possibly top 15, and certainly top 20-25. Still young. Tied to an offensively minded coach. Is there enough reason for optimism?

Gurley, I don’t wanna beat that dead horse. Looking at more of big picture for this team. Since this paragraph is RB... Henderson? Honestly can’t say I’ve seen him do anything, good or bad (which is bad news). Is this team going to draft an RB? Is Gurley gonna reclaim more carries?

WR/TE crew is most interesting to me though. Does Cooks have anything left? Aside from him there’s still at a minimum 4 names that could/should be fantasy relevant in woods kupp Everett and higbee.

What’s your take DLf forum? Is this team what it is now, or are they gonna get their legs back under em and be more like 2018?
He's 26 years old. The question is, will they ever use him the way they used to?
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:50 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 am I highly doubt they draft a RB this year. I think they believe (and rightfully so) the biggest reason for the regression of their offense this year was the complete collapse of their Offensive Line. They went from having a top 5 OL with no injuries last year, to a bottom 10 OL riddled with injuries and lineup changes this year. Restoring that OL has to be the primary focus of the offseason, and then they will get a look at if Gurley truly is shot. The defense was solid, especially with Ramsey in the fold, they were just getting worn out in time of possession and not having an offense that could pick up the slack. If they fix the OL then they'll be able to identify the true weaknesses in other areas of the team, but their primary issues stem from poor OL play.
Whitworth is a free agent this year and I’m not sure the Rams have a huge amount of cap room to go rebuild an O-line through free agency. The draft is a grab bag at the line. I agree that they have to look to fix the oline, and its possible, but I’m not sure its probable.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

briank wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 pm
He's 26 years old. The question is, will they ever use him the way they used to?
Yeah still plenty young, but I’m seeing concerning news about repeated concussions? It’s kind of a theme with that entire team: cooks could be a huge opportunity to get in on right now, or maybe he has an early retirement? It’s an interesting team to me

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 pm

honcho55 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 am Looking to start a discussion on this team going forward. I expected regression this year, but maybe not quite this much. And there were times they looked like the powerhouse they were in 2018, but other times they looked completely lost across the board.

This and the OL issue are one in the same, right? Hard to use his down field speed when the line is playing like bleep.
Last edited by Lumps on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalmat
Starter
Starter

Postby metalmat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 pm

I think Higbee's value will me very very interesting going forward. He obviously blew up to end the season... even though I own him everywhere I have a hard time trusting him when Everett is back healthy.
14 Tm ppr (rebuilding)
QB Wentz, Carr, MacJ
RB Mixon, Ty'son, Gaskin, McKinnon, Coleman, David Johnson, Freeman, Darrel Williams, J.Patrick, Ahmed, Dobbins, Hasty
WR Hopkins, T.Patrick, E.Moore
TE Jarwin, Ertz, Knox, Tremble
Picks: 22 (1,1,1,2,2,3) 23 (1,1,1,2,2,3)

12 Tm .5 ppr
QB Stafford, Hurts, MacJ, KMond
RB Zeke, Fournette, White, Mostert, Coleman, Pollard, Dallas, Perine, B.Scott, Nwangwu, Hawkins
WR Amari, Tyreek, KA, Chark, Renfrow, Agholor, Patterson
TE Fant, Knox, Doyle, Allie-Cox

12 Tm SF, TE+, ppr
QB Ryan, Winston, Mills, Minshew, Tua
RB Gordon, Carson, Harris, Hunt, Duke, D'Ernest, Dillon
WR Jefferson, Boyd, Ruggs, Davis, Parker, Hamler, Robby, Miller, E.Moore, Rodgers, Tre'Quan
TE Hooper, Conklin, Jarwin, Doyle, JuwanJ

14 Tm ppr
QB Stafford, Bridgewater, Fields
RB Hines, Harris, R.Jones, Murray, Freeman, J,Kelley, Hasty
WR Tyreek, C.Ridley, J.Chase, Aiyuk, Hardman, Renfrow, Campbell, Eskridge, Tre'quan
TE Kittle, Freiermuth, Kroft

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 pm

If hey fix the oline I'm buying . I'm also buying Gurley regardless.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:12 am

Lumps wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 pm

This and the OL issue are I've in the same, right? Hard to use his down field speed when the line is playing like bleep.
That’s how I see it.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 pm

lol OP, how old do you think Cooks is?
"Does he have anything left"... rofl

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 pm lol OP, how old do you think Cooks is?
"Does he have anything left"... rofl
Oh, dont get me wrong. I’m not referring to his age lol. Referring to his regression/use, and concussions. I’ve seen some alarming stuff.

Now, maybe that makes him a Buy target? Or a guy to go get cheap in redraft? Dunno.

More I dig in the more I think rams are headed for an uptick next year. Agree OL needs help though.

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:22 pm

If you noticed the last 5 games mcvay began to move Goff around to give him more time to throw the ball. It worked perfectly and the offense looked much better. The exception being the cowboys game where for some reason he stuck with the 11 personnel and had Goff standing there in one spot. Baffling. Of course the rams got blown out and the offense couldn't get anything going, Goff under pressure almost every drop back. I'm not sure what mcvay was thinking in that game.

Anyway it showed the limitations of the oline. They couldn't block anyone straight up. The young guys showed some promise but can they count on them next season? Snead and mcvay need to fix this problem or this season will be the norm moving forward.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:47 am

Yeah that Dallas game was perplexing. I bet games pretty succesfully, but that game was one of my biggest losses of the year. I really cant quite make sense of it to be honest.

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:32 am

It's going to be tough for the Rams to do much through the draft since they only have a 2nd, 3rd, (3) 4th's, 6th, and 7th. It's possible they could try to trade down to add additional picks, but they're going to have to be hoping for some later round magic. Good health was key to their performance in 2018. Bad health were a big reason for their decline in 2019.

They just need to hope for better luck on the injury front, and work diligently to get younger and improve along the offensive line. Better line play in 2020 would lift all ships for fantasy purposes.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku