The London Chargers?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The London Chargers?

Postby jordanzs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Kinda makes sense actually......
The Athletic's Vincent Bonsignore reports the Chargers "would listen" if the NFL approached them about relocating to London.

According to Bonsignore, the possibility "has been broached among league personnel" and owners are "concerned enough about the Chargers’ situation in L.A. that they would provide the necessary support for a relocation to London if the Chargers pursue it." Tottenham Hotspur Stadium opened earlier this year with the NFL in mind and hosted two of the four London games this season after the across-the-pond series concluded this past Sunday. It seats over 62,000, and the Chargers are currently playing in a tiny soccer stadium in Carson, Cali. that seats a mere 27,000 where the Chargers are essentially the road team every week as it gets flooded with opposing fans. The Chargers are slated to join the Rams in their new $4.5 billion venue, but L.A. has not embraced the Bolts as it has the Rams. Moving to London would make a whole heck of a lot of sense, as the fans over there have totally embraced the NFL. It would likely require the Chargers switching divisions.

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Re: The London Chargers?

Postby TimeWillTell » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Well from what I can see in TV, LA is def not working out for them
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 pm

The London crowd would be equally disengaged. So it would be a typical LA Chargers home game. I hate the idea, and I think it would be a mistake. Probably just drumming up interest. They made a mistake leaving SD. The idea is also not conducive to Tottenham's schedule. I think it's an awful idea, but I though 2 teams in LA was, too. The idea that the UK has "totally embraced the NFL" is inaccurate, too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 pm The London crowd would be equally disengaged. So it would be a typical LA Chargers home game. I hate the idea, and I think it would be a mistake. Probably just drumming up interest. They made a mistake leaving SD. The idea is also not conducive to Tottenham's schedule. I think it's an awful idea, but I though 2 teams in LA was, too. The idea that the UK has "totally embraced the NFL" is inaccurate, too.
I don’t think it happens, but Tottenham’s schedule is irrelevant. Soccer schedules are extremely flexible & change a bunch throughout the year due to all the non-league competitions that they play in.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 pm

It's a less terrible idea than having two new teams in LA.

They could move the Cowboys into the NFC Central (where they belong), drop the Chargers into the NFC East, move Tampa into the AFC South and Houston into the AFC West.

Easiest travel schedule for a London-based team to hit the Northeast. Dallas could play the Packers twice annually and the London team could play Boston (tea party) and Washington (battle of the capitals) twice annually.

And they can rebrand them as the London Queens.

Seriously, they better rebrand the team to make it London's team, cuz the Chargers brand doesn't bring anything to London except the baggage that it came from somewhere else and isn't really theirs.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 pm The London crowd would be equally disengaged. So it would be a typical LA Chargers home game. I hate the idea, and I think it would be a mistake. Probably just drumming up interest. They made a mistake leaving SD. The idea is also not conducive to Tottenham's schedule. I think it's an awful idea, but I though 2 teams in LA was, too. The idea that the UK has "totally embraced the NFL" is inaccurate, too.
I don’t think it happens, but Tottenham’s schedule is irrelevant. Soccer schedules are extremely flexible & change a bunch throughout the year due to all the non-league competitions that they play in.
Not really. Hotspurs will always be the main team there. So it does matter. They play Saturday's and Sundays, mostly, for league games, and only have international breaks, mostly. They still play on weekends, and then have to play midweek for the non league competitions, like the Champions League, so it will affect it. Not sure how long that transformation on the field takes, to change it to the NFL field, but I see it as a potential issue. The main issue I see, however, is that it will not be a good move for the overall league, travel, giving a foreign country a team over cities who feel that they should not have had their team taken away, etc.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 pm It's a less terrible idea than having two new teams in LA.

They could move the Cowboys into the NFC Central (where they belong), drop the Chargers into the NFC East, move Tampa into the AFC South and Houston into the AFC West.

Easiest travel schedule for a London-based team to hit the Northeast. Dallas could play the Packers twice annually and the London team could play Boston (tea party) and Washington (battle of the capitals) twice annually.

And they can rebrand them as the London Queens.

Seriously, they better rebrand the team to make it London's team, cuz the Chargers brand doesn't bring anything to London except the baggage that it came from somewhere else and isn't really theirs.
They'll wait until the Queen dies and name it the Kings. "Queens" in a testosterone laden environment has too many negative connotations, and no team in their right mind would name their team the Queens in this type of environment/sport, with 53 jacked up dudes looking to smash other people.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:16 pm

I lived in San Diego for 8 years and I go back and visit a lot.

I moved there in 1994 which was the season in which the Chargers went to the Super Bowl. The city had charger mania of course but besides that, San Diego didn’t engage well with having a football team. It felt like a city that has nice enough weather and other things to do in the fall that if the chargers weren’t winning, people would stop paying attention and go outside to do other fun things. I can see how in many other cities, life revolves around their football team. San Diego is the opposite.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:23 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:16 pm I lived in San Diego for 8 years and I go back and visit a lot.

I moved there in 1994 which was the season in which the Chargers went to the Super Bowl. The city had charger mania of course but besides that, San Diego didn’t engage well with having a football team. It felt like a city that has nice enough weather and other things to do in the fall that if the chargers weren’t winning, people would stop paying attention and go outside to do other fun things. I can see how in many other cities, life revolves around their football team. San Diego is the opposite.
Interesting. Good to know.

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:44 am

I doubt we see a London team before the new CBA. A team traveling to an away game in London will probably need a bye week afterward. That being said, the Chargers or the Jaguars are top candidates. Jacksonville has played in a London game every year since 2013.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:10 am

Adding a 2nd Bye week would be the best move the NFL could make. It would allow them to schedule better TNF so that both teams have a bye before their TNF game, give London-visiting teams a break before, and add some revenue $$$ into everyone's pockets.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:27 am

Teams who live in areas with nice weather tend to have more fair weather fans. It's just the way things are. The Chargers made a huge mistake and I hope it kills them. Every single person knew that introducing two new teams to LA was a bad idea, and that the Chargers were most likely to be the team suffering the Most. They have a poor organization shown by their lack of success. Whatever they choose they will fail, and it will make the city of San Diego look like their best option by far
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 am

They never should have left SD. The Chargers are (at best) the 2nd most popular team from the AFC West in LA, and are probably not in the top 15 league wide among the LA fanbase. How was this not seen coming by ownership groups and league officials, but it was blatantly obvious to people like us that this would be the outcome?

gunfrees
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gunfrees » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:51 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Not really. Hotspurs will always be the main team there. So it does matter. They play Saturday's and Sundays, mostly, for league games, and only have international breaks, mostly. They still play on weekends, and then have to play midweek for the non league competitions, like the Champions League, so it will affect it. Not sure how long that transformation on the field takes, to change it to the NFL field, but I see it as a potential issue. The main issue I see, however, is that it will not be a good move for the overall league, travel, giving a foreign country a team over cities who feel that they should not have had their team taken away, etc.
Takes about 30 minutes to switch from pitch to field, but can probably set everything up in a couple of hours

https://talksport.com/sport/us-sports/6 ... don-games/
12 team dynasty | SF | 1 ppr

QBs: Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Kirk Cousins
WRs: Deebo, Godwin, Mbrown, JDowns
RBs: Chubb, Gibbs, Achane, K. Miller
TE: Okonkwo, Mayer

2024 1.03, 1.09
2025 early 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, early 2nd, 2nd
2026 early 1st, 1st, early 2nd
----------

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 am They never should have left SD. The Chargers are (at best) the 2nd most popular team from the AFC West in LA, and are probably not in the top 15 league wide among the LA fanbase. How was this not seen coming by ownership groups and league officials, but it was blatantly obvious to people like us that this would be the outcome?
I have no doubt the league knew all that. It's a business first, and going to London would be done for league business reasons, not for fanbases. Same reason for leaving San Diego. Even if the London franchise didn't have the best base, the league promotion internationally is probably the top goal for them.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.