The London Chargers?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: The London Chargers?

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:24 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 am
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 am They never should have left SD. The Chargers are (at best) the 2nd most popular team from the AFC West in LA, and are probably not in the top 15 league wide among the LA fanbase. How was this not seen coming by ownership groups and league officials, but it was blatantly obvious to people like us that this would be the outcome?
I have no doubt the league knew all that. It's a business first, and going to London would be done for league business reasons, not for fanbases. Same reason for leaving San Diego. Even if the London franchise didn't have the best base, the league promotion internationally is probably the top goal for them.
Yes they knew where they ranked in popularity in LA, but they didn't anticipate things going this poorly if they are already thinking about pulling the plug on it. The Chargers have been turned into a joke by this move due to always having their stadium full of the opposing teams fans.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:14 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:12 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 pm And they can rebrand them as the London Queens.

Seriously, they better rebrand the team to make it London's team, cuz the Chargers brand doesn't bring anything to London except the baggage that it came from somewhere else and isn't really theirs.
They'll wait until the Queen dies and name it the Kings. "Queens" in a testosterone laden environment has too many negative connotations, and no team in their right mind would name their team the Queens in this type of environment/sport, with 53 jacked up dudes looking to smash other people.
Guys, guys. London Lightning.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 am

jordanzs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:16 pm I lived in San Diego for 8 years and I go back and visit a lot.

I moved there in 1994 which was the season in which the Chargers went to the Super Bowl. The city had charger mania of course but besides that, San Diego didn’t engage well with having a football team. It felt like a city that has nice enough weather and other things to do in the fall that if the chargers weren’t winning, people would stop paying attention and go outside to do other fun things. I can see how in many other cities, life revolves around their football team. San Diego is the opposite.
I also lived there a bit, really close to the stadium actually. I used to watch the fans park in the Costco parking lot, hop out with their jerseys on, and start walking to the game. There was always several tow trucks patrolling on game day, taking their vehicle before they made it to the stadium.

The bolded is so so true. When I was first looking to move there, I went for my interview. I was having a beer at a bar in Gaslamp and the Padres game was on. It was in the 4th or 5th inning. As I was talking to people at the bar I learned that some there "are going to the game." I asked if they meant the Padres? Yep. Just hadn't made it there yet (it's like 1/4-1/2 a mile away).

As far as moving to London:

1) This is the NFL just continuing it's money over everything else stance. It's beginning to do damage to the league, IMO. TNF is awful. London games are stupid.
2) Having a team fully in London creates so much more travel time for teams, particularly in the division.
3) Doesn't the N stand for "National?" :lol:

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:30 pm

Blueboy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:14 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:12 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 pm And they can rebrand them as the London Queens.

Seriously, they better rebrand the team to make it London's team, cuz the Chargers brand doesn't bring anything to London except the baggage that it came from somewhere else and isn't really theirs.
They'll wait until the Queen dies and name it the Kings. "Queens" in a testosterone laden environment has too many negative connotations, and no team in their right mind would name their team the Queens in this type of environment/sport, with 53 jacked up dudes looking to smash other people.
Guys, guys. London Lightning.
NFL’s newest franchise ... London Calling

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 pm It's a less terrible idea than having two new teams in LA.

They could move the Cowboys into the NFC Central (where they belong), drop the Chargers into the NFC East, move Tampa into the AFC South and Houston into the AFC West.

Easiest travel schedule for a London-based team to hit the Northeast. Dallas could play the Packers twice annually and the London team could play Boston (tea party) and Washington (battle of the capitals) twice annually.

And they can rebrand them as the London Queens.

I think that would be infringement on the team in Minnesota.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Chargers owner Dean Spanos on his team potentially moving to London: “It’s total f—kin bullshit. We’re not going to London. We’re not going anywhere. We’re playing in Los Angeles. This is our home, and this is where we are planning to be for a long f—king time. Period.”

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Lumps wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 pm Chargers owner Dean Spanos on his team potentially moving to London: “It’s total f—kin bullshit. We’re not going to London. We’re not going anywhere. We’re playing in Los Angeles. This is our home, and this is where we are planning to be for a long f—king time. Period.”
I'm sure he said similar things about San Diego once upon a time too.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Spanos is only a step or two below Daniel Snyder and Jimmy Haslem for the title of worst owner in the league, so who cares what he has to say, it's probably a lie anyway.

Alex116
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Alex116 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Personally I think it's a crazy idea. Perhaps it's inevitable that expansion such as this will occur, but good luck trying to attract free agents to a team with that bad of a travel schedule having to "cross the pond" multiple times a year!

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Alex116 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 pm Personally I think it's a crazy idea. Perhaps it's inevitable that expansion such as this will occur, but good luck trying to attract free agents to a team with that bad of a travel schedule having to "cross the pond" multiple times a year!
This is how I see it too. Every away game for them is going to be a monumental disadvantage.
Not only that but you'd have to pitch every free agent to live in London. I feel like that would be a tough sell for guys and their families.
Then again, Kansas City and Detroit are atrocious places to live and they attract FA's decently.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Alex116 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 pm Personally I think it's a crazy idea. Perhaps it's inevitable that expansion such as this will occur, but good luck trying to attract free agents to a team with that bad of a travel schedule having to "cross the pond" multiple times a year!
A lot of impracticalities ... aside from the distance & travel, you have exchange rate issues plus UK taxes are significantly higher than the US. How would they handle a salary cap that is constantly fluctuating?

Someone earlier mentioned realigning the divisions to take Dallas out of the East ... that ain't going to happen. No way the four East teams would allow all the money generated from those historic rivalries to go away.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 pm

At least if it happens, Rivers will be retired by then so he won't have to fly in his private jet from San Diego to London every day for practice. And the moving expenses for him & all his kids would be very costly.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm

European market shouild just start their own league, make money, then hope to merge in the future ..
@PlankMelody

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:46 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 pm At least if it happens, Rivers will be retired by then so he won't have to fly in his private jet from San Diego to London every day for practice. And the moving expenses for him & all his kids would be very costly.
:lol:
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 am

jordanzs wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 pm At least if it happens, Rivers will be retired by then so he won't have to fly in his private jet from San Diego to London every day for practice. And the moving expenses for him & all his kids would be very costly.
In another decade Rivers plans to field his own team, sourced entirely from his descendants.