The European way to run a team

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: The European way to run a team

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 pm

There's actually a decent amount of articles on the cheap rookie QB approach, especially on TheRinger.com.

Not sure how thisnrelates to European soccer, where the economic model is SO different. No salary cap and transfer fees.

The reality is that teams that are successful over longert terms all have too tier QBs. And almost all Super Bowls are won with elite QB talent, only exceptions being Foles in recent years.

You could say that Wilson won as a cheap rookie. But he is also an elite talent. Teams luck into elite rookies once in a generation.

I do think that teams hurt themselves if they pay a lot of $$$ for above average QBs. The Flaccos the Staffords maybe even the Rivers. Certainly Tannenhill, but I don't even think he's an above average QB.

If your not a contender or on a clear trajectory to contending, you should cut bait with your $$$ QB.

Dallas is set to contend, so they need to stick with Dak. But I'd do a shorter deal if I was them.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Brady has the patriots team as clients for his tb12 company. He gets his money that way.

The cheats will stoop to anything to get an edge.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:40 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 pm There's actually a decent amount of articles on the cheap rookie QB approach, especially on TheRinger.com.

Not sure how thisnrelates to European soccer, where the economic model is SO different. No salary cap and transfer fees.

The reality is that teams that are successful over longert terms all have too tier QBs. And almost all Super Bowls are won with elite QB talent, only exceptions being Foles in recent years.

You could say that Wilson won as a cheap rookie. But he is also an elite talent. Teams luck into elite rookies once in a generation.

I do think that teams hurt themselves if they pay a lot of $$$ for above average QBs. The Flaccos the Staffords maybe even the Rivers. Certainly Tannenhill, but I don't even think he's an above average QB.

If your not a contender or on a clear trajectory to contending, you should cut bait with your $$$ QB.

Dallas is set to contend, so they need to stick with Dak. But I'd do a shorter deal if I was them.

Is this Really true.

If you had [Stafford, Rivers, Carr, Watson], or even (Tannehill, Keenum, Jake Locker) ect with the Best O-line and the Best RB and wr groupe that Dallas got.

Would they be without a [SB] or a (bust) ??
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:21 am

Tampa, 2 x Baltimore and Philly have won Super Bowls with non-elite QBs in the last 20 years. Tampa and Baltimore's first win came largely due to All World Defenses, and Baltimore's 2nd and Philly's win was thanks to great defenses and their QBs going on historic playoff runs.

A good QB who gets hot on a great team CAN win a Superbowl. But a lot of things have to line up for that to happen.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:21 am Tampa, 2 x Baltimore and Philly have won Super Bowls with non-elite QBs in the last 20 years. Tampa and Baltimore's first win came largely due to All World Defenses, and Baltimore's 2nd and Philly's win was thanks to great defenses and their QBs going on historic playoff runs.

A good QB who gets hot on a great team CAN win a Superbowl. But a lot of things have to line up for that to happen.
I'd argue that the Giants won a pair of Super Bowls with a non-elite yet highly paid QB in Eli Manning. And yeah, one time they had an elite defense and Eli got hot right as they entered the playoffs. It definitely takes some luck.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:04 am

Forgot about the Giants. But Eli was a very good QB back then, especially in big games. Plus those were fluky wins.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:29 am

ravn88 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:40 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 pm There's actually a decent amount of articles on the cheap rookie QB approach, especially on TheRinger.com.

Is this Really true.

If you had [Stafford, Rivers, Carr, Watson], or even (Tannehill, Keenum, Jake Locker) ect with the Best O-line and the Best RB and wr groupe that Dallas got.

Would they be without a [SB] or a (bust) ??
Yeah it kinda is, the reason why that Dallas is able to build those is because daks contract is really that cheap right now (less than 1M because he was a 3rd or 4th round pick).
The pay gap between an ehh qb and an elite guy is normally about 3-5M. Can’t compare qbs who didn’t sign in the same year so let’s use Goff and wentz v Russell, that’s a 3M difference. That’s not a ton in cap terms.

Dallas is able to have all those things becuase up until very very recently they had on a rookie contract.
Top RB
Part of the OL
Entire wr core that matters other than the slot
LB core
Most of the DL
Most of the DBs
QB
They’ve drafted incredibly well as of late in terms of hit rate. This, especially hitting on a mid round qb, is what allows them to build the team not that they have a middling qb. In the next two years most of this will fall apart

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:51 am

I saw this tweet this morning and it made me think about this thread.
https://twitter.com/adamharstad/status/ ... 1489789952

Basically, the salary allocated to the player should be equal to their WAR (wins above replacement). This tweet was more pointing towards zeke's new contract but I think it works for Dak as well.

The tweet boils down to this: each team has to pay roughly $21-$23 million per win this season. If a player's WAR is +1, they should have a salary of 21-23mil. I couldn't find the exact number for Dak in 2018 but I found an article that said he was 19th in WAR for QB which means he's just at league average (maybe even a little below average). I did find Dak's WAR for 2017 which was +1.53 which means in that season, he was actually worth close to that $30mil mark, which it sounds like he's asking for.

https://www.faketeams.com/2017/11/27/16 ... y-football

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:58 am

IBall2 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:51 am I saw this tweet this morning and it made me think about this thread.
https://twitter.com/adamharstad/status/ ... 1489789952

Basically, the salary allocated to the player should be equal to their WAR (wins above replacement). This tweet was more pointing towards zeke's new contract but I think it works for Dak as well.

The tweet boils down to this: each team has to pay roughly $21-$23 million per win this season. If a player's WAR is +1, they should have a salary of 21-23mil. I couldn't find the exact number for Dak in 2018 but I found an article that said he was 19th in WAR for QB which means he's just at league average (maybe even a little below average). I did find Dak's WAR for 2017 which was +1.53 which means in that season, he was actually worth close to that $30mil mark, which it sounds like he's asking for.

https://www.faketeams.com/2017/11/27/16 ... y-football
Actually a really interesting way to look at it

In theory daks value, really every player on a second contract, should actually be higher than just the WAR times that as teams accumulate some WAR from rookie contract who are underpaid

GBP1388
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby GBP1388 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:25 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:21 am Tampa, 2 x Baltimore and Philly have won Super Bowls with non-elite QBs in the last 20 years. Tampa and Baltimore's first win came largely due to All World Defenses, and Baltimore's 2nd and Philly's win was thanks to great defenses and their QBs going on historic playoff runs.

JOE FLACCO IS (was) AN ELITE QUARTERBACK!
Green Bowl Packers
12 team .5ppr 1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 2 flex 1 te k d
qb: watson, pickett, purdy, minshew, mayfield
rb: bijan, chubb, mixon, charbs, hubbard, foreman, r. johnson, gray, ford
wr: chase, evans, cooper, d. johnson, pittman, juju, julio, palmer, r. james, shakir
te: kittle, goedert, gesicki, chig
d: car, bal
k: butker
2024 picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm There are two main reasons most NFL franchises won't risk letting a potential franchise QB walk:

2. You're just as likely to end up with the next Case Keenum as you are the next Carson Wentz.
So, In Dallas' case, they'll end up with exactly what they have now but much cheaper? 2017 Keenum and 2018 Prescott are very simular.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:39 am

Case Keenum is the wrong QB to put at the negative side of this conversation. He was an UDFA who didn't get a shot as a full season starter until his 5th year in the league. For this discussion it should be positioned as something like you could draft Wentz or you could end up with Jake Locker or Christian Ponder or Vince Young.

The discussion as far as I understand it is pay the QB you have or draft one in the first because you aren't letting Dak walk and then waiting until round 3 or 4 or an undrafted guy to grab your next QB to replace Dak.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:52 am

djeternal2 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:39 am Case Keenum is the wrong QB to put at the negative side of this conversation. He was an UDFA who didn't get a shot as a full season starter until his 5th year in the league. For this discussion it should be positioned as something like you could draft Wentz or you could end up with Jake Locker or Christian Ponder or Vince Young.

The discussion as far as I understand it is pay the QB you have or draft one in the first because you aren't letting Dak walk and then waiting until round 3 or 4 or an undrafted guy to grab your next QB to replace Dak.

Yea, But that is only in this scenario Where Dallas havent draftet New QB, once every draft.

If they didnt pay him they would have to get a QB fast. But the GM should have rotten QBs once in a while if they knew Dak wasent gonna get paid
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:57 am

There was a time where the packers drafted a qb every year and would trade off the last one. in the late 90s there were like four starting QBs in the nfl were former packers. If you implemented this strategy you could potentially always have your next starting QB in the barrel and let the previous guy walk.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:07 am

Huh wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:57 am There was a time where the packers drafted a qb every year and would trade off the last one. in the late 90s there were like four starting QBs in the nfl were former packers. If you implemented this strategy you could potentially always have your next starting QB in the barrel and let the previous guy walk.
Sure ideally this could work. If you have the coaching staff to develop young QBs. That Packer staff had Holmgren as HC and guys like Reid, Gruden, etc come through there during that time.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle