18 game season proposal, players only play 16

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: 18 game season proposal, players only play 16

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm picturing a row of old billionaire white men sitting on stools, milking fat dairy cows so hard that they're squirting blood.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Absolutely terrible bleep idea!

What they should do is add a 2nd bye week and make the NFL regular season extend over 18 weeks. This would give the NFL one more week of football on the networks (read more $$$) while requiring NFL teams to only play 16 games. Having a 2nd by week would also allow the league to balance out rest weeks (right now some teams get their Bye in week 4 or 5, while others get it in 12 or 13) and also allow the NFL to have both Thursday night teams come out of a bye.

Just brilliant. More money, more rest, great Thursday night games with fully rested teams. Everyone wins!

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:00 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:37 pm Meanwhile the Sleeper App would account for this and start allowing conditional lineup submissions. That would be rad to be able to submit your starting lineup, and also submit backup players that automatically swap in due to pre-kickoff deactivations.
The teams would have to announce which players are playing and which are sitting ahead of time, much like they do with injury reports. This is so people with inside info can't gamble or sell that info.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Not at all saying I'm in favor of the idea. But playing devil's advocate, the NBA and MLB (maybe NHL? I don't follow hockey) already basically do this as a matter of course. Both of those sports have ridiculously long regular seasons, and there are points during the year where they give their star players a game or two off to save them from the rigors of playing as many games as they do.

On the surface this appears to be the NFL's idea to try and shorten the pre-season, which fans and season ticket holders hate paying full price for, by adding a couple of extra games to the regular season that actually count towards the standings. It's a compromise, and while not perfect isn't totally insane.

Granted, it's guaranteed to be viewed as a cash-grab by ownership which isn't totally off the mark. But it's also an attempt to placate the NFLPA in the upcoming negotiations by reducing the preseason games (which they hate), but also not requiring all players to increase their game participation from 16 to 18 regular season contests.

Is it perfect? No. But it might just check a lot of boxes on the sides of both players and management with regard to addressing the problem of the NFL pre-season as it currently exists. I'd want to see more specifics as to how this would actually work before weighing in one way or the other about its impact on the game.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm I'm picturing a row of old billionaire white men sitting on stools, milking fat dairy cows so hard that they're squirting blood.
Mark Cuban foresaw an NFL 'implosion' of greed. Now, he says, it's 'accelerating.' A little over three years ago, Mark Cuban created a stir when he predicted that an NFL “implosion” was only 10 years away because “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 pm Absolutely terrible bleep idea!

What they should do is add a 2nd bye week and make the NFL regular season extend over 18 weeks. This would give the NFL one more week of football on the networks (read more $$$) while requiring NFL teams to only play 16 games. Having a 2nd by week would also allow the league to balance out rest weeks (right now some teams get their Bye in week 4 or 5, while others get it in 12 or 13) and also allow the NFL to have both Thursday night teams come out of a bye.

Just brilliant. More money, more rest, great Thursday night games with fully rested teams. Everyone wins!
I have always liked this idea. TNF quality and the shortened weeks for most teams is an issue. The timing of some bye weeks also.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 am

JOHNNY_COCKTAIL wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 pm Fantasy playoffs Giants are out of it yep let's bench Barkley his final 2 games keep him fresh for the off-season. I see it now
It's nuts. This idea is clearly based on money. It's pure greed. They claim the pre season product is watered down, but want to water down the regular season instead? Crazy. They are overwhelmed with greed, and must think nothing of their fanbase. Due to gambling, this will be a problem, not Joe six pack. Seriously, it's nuts. What other sport caps their top players starts in a season. Cuban was right about the NFL. They are overwhelmed with greed.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 am

The NFL wants a team in London. That is so damn asinine, that it just shows the pure greed. Steady quality growth is good. Rash decisions to force more revenue is not a good idea for the long term picture.

Think of the NFL like Chik Fil A, the NFL has a short season with only 16 games. What does the limited season do? It has all of us absolutely jonesing for football. I never hear anyone I know craving baseball like us football fans crave football.

Extending to 18 games, extending the playoffs, putting a team in London (guarantee that team will always be terrible), all of that dilutes the drug that we call professional football. As much as I want more football, I'm emotionally spent by the time the season ends. That's how much energy I put into this sport.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:40 am

TheNuts wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 am The NFL wants a team in London. That is so damn asinine, that it just shows the pure greed. Steady quality growth is good. Rash decisions to force more revenue is not a good idea for the long term picture.

Think of the NFL like Chik Fil A, the NFL has a short season with only 16 games. What does the limited season do? It has all of us absolutely jonesing for football. I never hear anyone I know craving baseball like us football fans crave football.

Extending to 18 games, extending the playoffs, putting a team in London (guarantee that team will always be terrible), all of that dilutes the drug that we call professional football. As much as I want more football, I'm emotionally spent by the time the season ends. That's how much energy I put into this sport.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:29 am

Hockey fans have as much craving for hockey as football fans do football - and hockey is played from October through June - you can trust me on that.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:37 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:29 am Hockey fans have as much craving for hockey as football fans do football - and hockey is played from October through June - you can trust me on that.
Very very true.
Valhalla's Father

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:36 am

ArrylT wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:29 am Hockey fans have as much craving for hockey as football fans do football - and hockey is played from October through June - you can trust me on that.
Yes they do. I'm talking about fandom for my local team, the Bears, and on top of that, my rabid dedication to the fantasy side of it. If I was just a fan but didnt play fantasy, then I wouldn't be putting nearly as much into the sport.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am

I can’t wait to buy my tickets and surprise miss Barkley or Mahomes because that is a week that they sit. Fun :dance:

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:16 am

I think the NFL owners might be pushing this as a political ploy ahead of the CBA negotiations. The union and fans will resist, then they'll give it up in exchange for something they really want.

But they're also greedy, so it may be about squeezing every dollar out regardless of the affect on the game.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:38 am

Huh wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am I can’t wait to buy my tickets and surprise miss Barkley or Mahomes because that is a week that they sit. Fun :dance:
This is exactly one of the big downfalls, for fans. Vegas/gambling world has too large of an influence for them not to require the inactives on a weekly basis, but for those who purchase tickets a few weeks or months in advance. Greed
Valhalla's Father