Carson Wentz contract and the ensuing dominoes

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Carson Wentz contract and the ensuing dominoes

Postby Lumps » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:50 am

This is just piggy backing on the prior post that got locked. Let's try to keep it from getting locked again:

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... 5&t=183909

Wentz's new contract
Contract Terms: 4 yr(s) / $128,000,000 Average Salary$32,000,000 GTD at Sign:$66,000,000
Total GTD: $107,000,000

He got JUST under what Russell got GTD at signing and in total. He got more on both than Matt Ryan in addition to making more per year. His average salary is just under Rodgers' #, which puts him in with Russell/Rodgers/Ben/Ryan. Philly went from paying him $7m/year on average to $32m/year. There will be casualties from this.

However, more to the point, Dak hasn't been signed yet. So now what? Dallas is going to sign Dak at a higher figure than what Wentz got? (And they are going to sign Elliott AND Cooper?!)

Once that happens, then the truly elite QBs are going to want more. Then, Goff is up, and he has a point to be paid more than Dak.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Carson Wentz contract and the ensuing dominoes

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:21 pm

From an NFL standpoint, it makes sense to pay the best of the best. I believe Wentz is one of those guys. It also means that it is guaranteed there will be less talent around the player, unless they get super lucky in the draft, because they have less to spend.

I don't think it matters strictly from a fantasy standpoint for the QB, unless his offensive weapons are the ones that suffer. Dak could cause this to happen as you mentioned. Dak is Dak, but soon he will be getting paid at least double of what he makes now; he's not going to give you 2x the production though, especially if Zeke is the casualty.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:45 pm

I think Wentz being "best of the best" is a stretch still at this point. Personally, I couldn't put him in that conversation.

Like Cowherd or not, this was an interesting take on the deal from Philly's perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjBPKjcNvQ

Philly I think was planning for this, however. Alshon is probably gone next year and they drafted JJAW to take that slot. Though, that notion to me, is part of the problem. "The way to win" is to criminally underpay anyone you can until your QB needs a contract (assuming you want to keep him), including said QB. Now, businesses will do what businesses do (trying to get more value out of a player than they are paying them), but paying a QB those figures all but require you to do that.

Now we are going to see the mid tier guys getting paid far too much will continue. Remember when Stafford was the highest paid QB?

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Lumps wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:45 pm I think Wentz being "best of the best" is a stretch still at this point. Personally, I couldn't put him in that conversation.

Like Cowherd or not, this was an interesting take on the deal from Philly's perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjBPKjcNvQ

Philly I think was planning for this, however. Alshon is probably gone next year and they drafted JJAW to take that slot. Though, that notion to me, is part of the problem. "The way to win" is to criminally underpay anyone you can until your QB needs a contract (assuming you want to keep him), including said QB. Now, businesses will do what businesses do (trying to get more value out of a player than they are paying them), but paying a QB those figures all but require you to do that.

Now we are going to see the mid tier guys getting paid far too much will continue. Remember when Stafford was the highest paid QB?
I can’t either. From a talent standpoint, yeah, he’s in the top 10 for sure, but it’s not just about talent. There’s leadership, staying healthy, etc. Personally, as a lifelong die hard Cowboys fan, it’s tough knowing that the Cowboys are going to have to spend so much on the QB position, when the much maligned front office has done such a great job of drafting guys like Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, Tank Lawrence, Zeke, Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, LVE. Not to mention the trade for Coop. It’s hard to keep everyone though and my guess is that Byron Jones probably won’t be extended but I think they will be able to re-sign most of the rest of the upcoming FAs(Zeke, Coop, J.Smith) but they may have to use one of their tags on one of those players. The good news is, the cap goes up every season and the Cowboys haven’t been very big spenders I’m FA, in several years.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:23 pm

I love when semantics are the main point of argument. Sure best of the best was improper wording. He's top 10 which is what I meant... Name 6 or 7 other guys you'd want in dynasty

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:23 pm I love when semantics are the main point of argument. Sure best of the best was improper wording. He's top 10 which is what I meant... Name 6 or 7 other guys you'd want in dynasty
It isn't about semantics, but it can be if that's how you choose to see it. That wasn't my "argument."

My argument was already laid out in my post, void of your thoughts. Whether you said "best of the best" or not, it doesn't matter. Philly is paying him like he is "best of the best", absent of your opinion on the matter. They are paying him with Russell and Rodgers, which by most people's account from the Russell thread, they are the top 2. So they are paying him like top 3, your comment or not.

If anything, you are moving the goal posts. They are paying him like top 3. You say "best of the best." Then it's "top 10" or "6 or 7" in dynasty. Our dynasty values aren't team's values. None of that has anything to do with him being paid as a top 3 guy.

Cowboysfan33 - I'm there with you. Everyone knows it's the line there in Dallas. THOSE guys should be making the money.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Cowboysfan33 - I'm there with you. Everyone knows it's the line there in Dallas. THOSE guys should be making the money.
[/quote]
I actually like Dak quite a bit but he’s more of a caretaker type QB, IMO, who I would say would top out as a “Steve McNair” but it’s tough paying a QB that much money. At the same time, if you don’t, you have to pay someone else or have someone else already being groomed into the position.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Cannot wait to see what Dak gets paid..

I have long said and will stand by it; but I don't think Wentz is anything special.

He is nowhere near Russell Wilson from a talent perspective.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Phaded wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:21 pm Cannot wait to see what Dak gets paid..

I have long said and will stand by it; but I don't think Wentz is anything special.

He is nowhere near Russell Wilson from a talent perspective.
Dak will most likely get slightly more than Wentz. That is the market price.

Both Wentz and Dak are talented enough to win. Don’t think they are Wilson either at this point but they don’t have anywhere near his experience.

It’s not really that difficult to pay QB’s market price in today’s NFL.

Fans may not like it much with so many creative ways to do contracts it isn’t difficult. Teams can pay 4-5 players big money then churn the rest.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Of course ideally it's great to draft a Russell Wilson but that's easier said than done. Once you have a good qb you have to pay him. The other option is what the jags did and you're left with blake bortles.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 pm

I hope Dallas dont break the bank on Dak.

Their team is special, Dak is not, if they pay top tier Money the team will fall apart.

If i was the GM, i would pay him 30 at most.
If he reject that, i would draft a new one And maybe tag him once or twice depending in the QB draftet.

I Think top tier Money to Dak, Will split the team in half, and make it a non playoff team.
Because Dak in my eyes cant carry the team alone like a Wilson, Luck ect.
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon