Turf vs. Grass

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Turf vs. Grass

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:29 am

I've seen home/road splits for QBs in domes vs. outdoors, but have there been any articles or analysis on RB performance on turf vs. grass? Examples of how guys like Alvin Kamara or Devonta Freeman have produced?
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Turf vs. Grass

Postby Friction » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 am

I am sure there is. I have seen many dome/outdoor stats for qbs and pretty well-documented Prime Time stats for guys like Dalton and Cousins. There is pretty much a stat or comparison for everything nowadays.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 am

Friction wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 am I am sure there is. I have seen many dome/outdoor stats for qbs and pretty well-documented Prime Time stats for guys like Dalton and Cousins. There is pretty much a stat or comparison for everything nowadays.
Haha any links though? I've tried searching, but I haven't see anything pop up.
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:38 am

Thats actually a good question. I bet theres data showing an increase in injuries going from grass to turf. When I play flag or soccer I hate playing on turf. You can run faster but it hurts to land on or cut on after awhile.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am

Pro soccer players/clubs all over the world have insisted for years that artificial grass increases the incidence of lower-leg injuries. It's curious to me that the NFL has never seemed to be bothered by it.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:44 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am Pro soccer players/clubs all over the world have insisted for years that artificial grass increases the incidence of lower-leg injuries. It's curious to me that the NFL has never seemed to be bothered by it.
I don't know enough about soccer to say this definitively, but I feel like movement is a bit different between the two sports, no?

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:00 am

Doesn't Yahoo do that, or is that just for baseball? Never really thought about this until now. Good question. I wonder how big of a difference it makes.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:50 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:44 am
ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am Pro soccer players/clubs all over the world have insisted for years that artificial grass increases the incidence of lower-leg injuries. It's curious to me that the NFL has never seemed to be bothered by it.
I don't know enough about soccer to say this definitively, but I feel like movement is a bit different between the two sports, no?
I played at the Olympic Development Program level.

I wouldn't say the movement itself is particularly different. You sprint, cut, plant, and jump the same as you would playing any other sort of sport on grass.

The only circumstantial difference I can think of that might be a relevant factor is that in high-level soccer, you're jogging/running/sprinting for most of the 90 minutes; constant off-the-ball movement is very important (to create or deny space). So maybe the fact that American football is short-interval, high-intensity activity vs soccer's long-interval, variable-intensity activity is the key -- in the latter, the otherwise minor differences in traction and impact on fake grass vs real are exacerbated, and over the course of many games it becomes attritional (a season of play in soccer also features far more than 16 contests).
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ferleia
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ferleia » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 am

On turf I feel i'm more explosive and in better control of the ball, whilst on grass I find it more diffucult and sometimes totally suck, I think it might be cos the grass aint extremely short. I also find that when playing in sports halls (even smoother) my touch is worse cas i'm used to grass. SUCKS big time cos you get used to one surface and then when you go back to grass it's like damn I fu**ing suck but it's just cos your not playing as well as you do on turf.. sucks sh*t. Thanks.