Jets GM fired

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Jets GM fired

Postby bjd5211 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Ya I definitely agree they are cutting him as soon as it's feasible, until then it makes the most sense to "get their money's worth" and use him as much as possible.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed May 15, 2019 2:13 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm Ya I definitely agree they are cutting him as soon as it's feasible, until then it makes the most sense to "get their money's worth" and use him as much as possible.
Yup. Gase and the Jets want to win games. Bell gives them the best chance at winning games out of all the other RB options on that team. There's absolutely no reason why he wouldn't run Bell to the ground and use him as much as possible. Also, he'd get so much backlash in NY if he didn't use Bell. Benching Ajayi in Miami isn't the same thing as benching Bell in NY.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

He'll probably bench Bell if Bell gives him an excuse though. Or at least consider it.

Still find it odd that they fire their GM a couple of weeks after the NFL draft - but at least we know the CEO is full of manure (like many NFL Execs). Could have at least taken a page from Cleveland and get rid of both. Letting the Coach be the GM worked well for Chip Kelly too. :wave:

""I think he's terrific at his job," Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said in late March at the annual NFL owners meetings. "He has a plan that I believe in. It's really key that he's working well with Adam.""

This is probably one of the shortest tenures of a GM/Coach pairing in history? 4 months.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/ ... ol-of-jets
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Adam Gase owes Peyton Manning every dollar he gets. Gase is a mediocre HC who keeps getting work and power because of what happened in Denver. It's astonishing.

And yeah, I don't think this has any fantasy implications. Gase isn't just going to not give Bell touches because he didn't want to pay him the money he got. Coaches try to win games by playing their best players. So, he'll feed Bell a lot.

The only thing I slightly worry about is if the Jets can put a solid structure of coaching, executives and front office around Darnold. You can't have this type of turnover when developing a young QB.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm Ya I definitely agree they are cutting him as soon as it's feasible, until then it makes the most sense to "get their money's worth" and use him as much as possible.
The Jets are on the hook for at least the next two years. They can cut him in 2021 with $4mil in dead cap and $2mil in 2022.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Ya figured it would be after year 2 they had the first opportunity. I think there's a chance they keep him 3 years, but they will definitely cut him or restructure before year 4.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed May 15, 2019 7:47 pm

My point was only regarding Bell's pass-game usage. I'm gonna go ahead and plant the flag that it's significant to Bell's receptions projection that Gase considers him an unnecessary luxury whereas he actually wanted Crowder.

To those of you saying Gase will use Bell exactly like Pitt used him just because he has him, I say, incredulously: are we watching the same league? It's par for the course that players are underutilized according to their full scope of ability (or miscast in role entirely), just because the coaching staff is reluctant to move out of its comfort-zone with regard to their preferred system concepts.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:27 pm

I think expecting almost any team to use him as much in the receiving game as he was used in Pitt would have been a mistake. Falcons, Pats, 49ers, who else throws that much to the RBs?
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.