Russell Wilson - Seahawk? Or maybe not..

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Russell Wilson - Seahawk? Or maybe not..

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 am

IBall2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 am He's going down the Kirk Cousins path. He'll play on the franchise tag for 2 years then test the market. I don't think Seattle has the balls to trade him, which will end up hurting them in the long run.
Seattle has one of the most stable fan bases in sports. As an example, I think Seattle would trade him for 1.1 this year for Murray but think the Cards would not do that given the QB's are similar in style.

That would suggest he is an asset that can be traded. No doubt it could hurt them but that is not known and could be argued downstream only based on what Wilson and the Seahawks do in the future.

Similar to the Raiders. Hard to say if the Mack trade was a win/win, win/lose, or Lose/win situation. That will take years to determine.

Seattle sure doesn't seem the type of team that is scared to the pull the trigger on any type of deal.

Wilson wants his money again; just a year early so moving him wouldn't be surprising. Of course after Odell being moved nothing would be surprising..... well, Brady being traded would be. :D
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 am

"If it does get done," King writes, "my source says the contract would likely include devices to adjust future years of the deal based on how high the cap goes up year to year, or based on new revenue streams." With legalized gambling potentially providing a windfall for the league in coming years as well as a new TV contract, it makes a lot of sense for Wilson to want this kind of deal, but the Seahawks might be reluctant to set the precedent. Wilson has made today the deadline for long-term negotiations.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... cid=fmiatw

He doesnt just want his money, he wants it to go up as the cap goes up. I know everyone loves Wilson, but this kind of stuff is very off putting for me personally. You're already making more money then you could ever need, playing the most protected position in the game, making even more on endorsements and thats still not enough? I know I'm going to be blasted for this, but I really hate when any player pulls shenanigans like this.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 am

Bill Barnwell wrote an article about the new trend of taking a young QB on his rookie deal and maxing out the team around him. He then wondered if this was the new trend, who would be the first team to trade their young QB before he got too expensive. Obviously this isn't quite the same thing, but this could be the first in a new way of thinking if the Seahawks move on. You've already seen a change in thinking when it comes to MLB contracts.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2480 ... nwell-2018

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:12 am

Bot101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 am
He doesnt just want his money, he wants it to go up as the cap goes up. I know everyone loves Wilson, but this kind of stuff is very off putting for me personally. You're already making more money then you could ever need, playing the most protected position in the game, making even more on endorsements and thats still not enough? I know I'm going to be blasted for this, but I really hate when any player pulls shenanigans like this.
Agree 100%. Seattle would be straight up stupid to do this. One of the more selfish requests I have seen in sports.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:17 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:12 am
Agree 100%. Seattle would be straight up stupid to do this. One of the more selfish requests I have seen in sports.
So you think he should take below market value for his services "just because"? Do you guys do this for yourselves in your lives as well?

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:17 am
So you think he should take below market value for his services "just because"? Do you guys do this for yourselves in your lives as well?
Did you even read what I wrote? You cant take less money "just because" as a working class man because I spend every dollar I make supporting my family. Just on salary alone Wilson makes more then he could spend. Add on the extra money he will make then its even more ridiculous how much money he will make. He could literally "take one for the team" and still make more then everyone on all the fantasy forums combined in 1 season. So just stop that nonsensical garbage you just spewed out.

If I made the money he makes, heck yes I would take below market value so the money could be spent adding more players to win championships. Do not compare mulitmillionaires with working class people. I wont address your ignorance further.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 am

REALLY?

No one said that all. Any contract signed will already be huge. The fact he is asking for "auto raises" within a contract based on future increases in the cap is unique and foolish for any team to agree to. The teams have to deal with 53 players and the salary structure of the team along with the draft. Why would anyone just give auto raises....

Do think any player would agree to reverse incentives in their deal? Do you do this in your life? I think not.....

It's a matter of perspective but Wilson doesn't deserve a raise within a contract just because especially if it's a one way deal. I could see it if no bonus or guarantee was given and it was specifically performance based.....but that is not the nature of contracts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am

Bot101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am

Did you even read what I wrote? You cant take less money "just because" as a working class man because I spend every dollar I make supporting my family. Just on salary alone Wilson makes more then he could spend. Add on the extra money he will make then its even more ridiculous how much money he will make. He could literally "take one for the team" and still make more then everyone on all the fantasy forums combined in 1 season. So just stop that nonsensical garbage you just spewed out.

If I made the money he makes, heck yes I would take below market value so the money could be spent adding more players to win championships. Do not compare mulitmillionaires with working class people. I wont address your ignorance further.
Man, there’s a word that perfectly describes this line of thinking- where the wealthy should give up some of their wealth for the good of their team or society, I just can’t place it.

Can somebody help me out?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 am

Bot101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am

I did read what you wrote, but you're acting like he should do something that you aren't willing to do yourself. Social class be darned, don't expect one individual to do something you won't. Period. You can say that you would take less, but the truth is you have zero idea how you would respond when handed that kind of money. What should be the amount he should be satisfied with? 1 million and then should play for free? 10 million?

If you want to argue that he makes way too much money for playing a game, while plenty of other jobs don't make nearly enough, that is an argument I can get behind. But he is playing the hand he was dealt and he should. The entire notion he should take a home town discount because he is already a millionaire is crazy to me. He isn't getting paid by taxpayers or anything. It is a billionaire that is paying his salary. So what do you care if a guy is trying to maximize his net worth in his prime working years, and why begrudge him for it? I know I have never been upset about a fellow coworker leaving a job for a raise or asking for a raise they feel they are worth. They may not get it, but more power to them if they do. It is up to the man paying the bills to determine what his worth is to the franchise.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am Man, there’s a word that perfectly describes this line of thinking- where the wealthy should give up some of their wealth for the good of their team or society, I just can’t place it.

Can somebody help me out?
Let's not go there...
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 am

REALLY?

No one said that all. Any contract signed will already be huge. The fact he is asking for "auto raises" within a contract based on future increases in the cap is unique and foolish for any team to agree to. The teams have to deal with 53 players and the salary structure of the team along with the draft. Why would anyone just give auto raises....

Do think any player would agree to reverse incentives in their deal? Do you do this in your life? I think not.....

It's a matter of perspective but Wilson doesn't deserve a raise within a contract just because especially if it's a one way deal. I could see it if no bonus or guarantee was given and it was specifically performance based.....but that is not the nature of contracts.
1) I don't think the team should agree to it, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't ask for it. It's called a negotiation in case there was some confusion. One person comes in with a high offer, the response is a low offer, and they typically meet somewhere in the middle. The highest paid QB is typically the one who has the newest contract. What if he tried to structure it where he was always in the top 8 of QBs paid, and it went up a % every year so that he was paid about where he ranks as a QB? Is that really a bad deal? That would seem pretty fair to me. I don't know how you would pull that off and it would be extremely complicated, but I'm sure something could be done similarly to that manner. Perhaps that is what he is trying to do now.

2) You're second point doesn't even make sense and is completely irrelevant. Stick to the DK threads with takes as ridiculous as those.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 am Bill Barnwell wrote an article about the new trend of taking a young QB on his rookie deal and maxing out the team around him. He then wondered if this was the new trend, who would be the first team to trade their young QB before he got too expensive. Obviously this isn't quite the same thing, but this could be the first in a new way of thinking if the Seahawks move on. You've already seen a change in thinking when it comes to MLB contracts.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2480 ... nwell-2018
Rookie scale made this possible. Feels like just yesterday when rookie QBs were signing for huge money before even playing a snap.

The only problem with this is that finding good QBs is still really tough.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am

Bot101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am Just on salary alone Wilson makes more then he could spend. Add on the extra money he will make then its even more ridiculous how much money he will make. He could literally "take one for the team" and still make more then everyone on all the fantasy forums combined in 1 season. So just stop that nonsensical garbage you just spewed out.

sorry but that's just a load of bollocks.
the NFL it's a business, owners do make money from it, and a lot of that has to do with the players.
if i'm your best player, i want a slice of the pie, and the bigger the better.
why would i accept less so that other players can come in and squeeze the owner for all they can get?
so that i can get to the superbowl and allow idiotic play calling to make me lose it?
brady with the patriots is one thing, the wilson/seahawks situation is something completely different.

and as jenkins pointed out, how much is good enough? what yearly salary should make players "be happy" with it and not demand more?
should players earning 2 million ask for better contracts? that's a lot of money you know, and just to play sports ...

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am

Lots of folks talking out of their element here. It is simple negotiation tactics and all quite reasonable from Wilson's perspective imo. I don't expect the Hawks to give him exactly what he / his agent asks for, I do expect them however to meet in the middle. Lots of middle class folks like to say things like some have said above. (Take less so the cap can be spread around / theoretically increasing your talent and odds at a championship)... Saying it, and doing it - are different. It is a smart request by Wilson / his agent. It is a business - believe it or not. :eh:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am

JFever wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am Lots of folks talking out of their element here. It is simple negotiation tactics and all quite reasonable from Wilson's perspective imo. I don't expect the Hawks to give him exactly what he / his agent asks for, I do expect them however to meet in the middle. Lots of middle class folks like to say things like some have said above. (Take less so the cap can be spread around / theoretically increasing your talent and odds at a championship)... Saying it, and doing it - are different. It is a smart request by Wilson / his agent. It is a business - believe it or not. :eh:

For the record, I have zero issues with a player or agent asking for anything
. That doesn't mean it makes sense to actually do what is being asked. Tying raises to the cap in a contract would be really stupid for a team to do.

Trying to turn it into some political discussion is even more stupid IMO. Teams are constantly dealing with the salary cap as it is currently constructed and already often times restructure contracts which is in both parties best interests. Adding in escalations clauses simply doesn't make sense for a team unless perhaps they also included performance based deescalation clauses.

This type of contract may sound good but doesn't really make sense for either party as the team may be forced to cut a player that either get hurts or doesn't perform as expected year over year.

Sounds like a really dumb idea and one I am almost certain would not be agreed to in any event. Pretty sure the 52 other players that didn't get this option would not be very happy about 1 player getting more money within a contract.

These types of discussion could foreshadow future CBA negotiations between the league and players union but no way a team would open up that can worms today IMO.

I could see Wilson getting a few more guarantees given the quality of player he is and of course an agent would love the idea of automatic raises but in today's environment its not very realistic.