Why only half way to the goal?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Why only half way to the goal?

Postby Wizard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:12 pm

This is something that always bugged me but maybe there's a reason I don't know about. Why if a penalty is committed and marching off the yards for that penalty would move you into the end-zone are the yards now half the way to the goal line? If you committed a 10 yard infraction and you were on the the 9, the ball should be moved to the one yard line, not the 4.5! I get that the team shouldn't score off the penalty but they should enforce as much as they can, take them to the one yard line. Not only would it make the players pay more of the price of the penalty it would add a lot of excitement if one team is pinned against their goal line.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Why only half way to the goal?

Postby Vcize » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 pm

I agree. And even weirder is that it's selectively enforced (IE pass interference puts the ball on the 1).

The same should apply backwards. If you're on the 9 yard line and your lineman holds, you should be back on your own 1.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:19 pm

I think you answered your own question. They obviously feel that such an interpretation would make it too easy for offences to score if they were always getting the 1 yard line rather than half the distance. Also I do not think there is that much more excitement to be added, whether you're on the 5 yard line or the 1 yard line, I would hope as a defender you're trying your best to defend the end zone.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wizard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:13 pm

No, your looking at it backwards, its the offence that would be backed up to the one, one yard away from a safety. Your on the 9 and your guard commits a holding penalty. I think they should move he ball to the one since its a 10 yard penalty. But they only penalize you half the distance to the goal and put it on the 4 and a half.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:38 am

Wizard wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:13 pm No, your looking at it backwards, its the offence that would be backed up to the one, one yard away from a safety. Your on the 9 and your guard commits a holding penalty. I think they should move he ball to the one since its a 10 yard penalty. But they only penalize you half the distance to the goal and put it on the 4 and a half.
Same answer. It is one thing for a team to execute poorly and/or being outwitted / outplayed and end up giving up a safety. It is another for the officials to set up a safety by putting an offence on the 1 yard line, just like it would be to set up a TD by putting a defence on the 1 yard line, due to a penalty.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

diehard4life
Rookie
Rookie

Postby diehard4life » Tue May 21, 2019 7:17 pm

The “offence?” What was the violation? Bad English grammar?
Philosophy: a high ceiling is better than a high floor.

Relative dynasty newcomer, but six time league champion in other formats (despite a 10 year hiatus), most proud of the 2018 NFFL (16-team, TD only, 30th anniversary) League Championship.