Browns being Browns again? Or bold genius move? Kitchens

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Browns being Browns again? Or bold genius move? Kitchens

Postby AussieMate » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Out of curiosity for the people not liking the risk on Kitchens,which is understandable, who would you have preferred to get the job from the available coaches?

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Coming from a Jet fan it is not like there is some goldmine of coaches available out there.

Pretty slim pickings, at least Kitchens was winning with this group.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm

I thought it was a very good hire. Kitchens is obviously a former qb himself, coached under Arians for a bunch of years, and even though it was a small sample size, he was able to lift the offense immediately. I also think there is real value in some level of consistency for a young qb, even one as a good as Baker. Being able to keep him in this system for the start of his career will likely pay off early.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:03 pm Out of curiosity for the people not liking the risk on Kitchens,which is understandable, who would you have preferred to get the job from the available coaches?
This is a solid question. They probably could’ve had Arians, but I’m not sure his play-action deep ball approach is a good fit for Mayfield and while Arians was open to keeping Kitchens, what would be the point of hiring an offensive coach like Arians and forcing an offensive coordinator on him?

I think there is some serious risk in hiring a guy with so little experience and having him both coach and run the offense, but I don’t see a lot of better alternatives. Keeping Williams risked losing Kitchens and being stuck with a mediocre coach. No one else that was a better option than Kitchens was likely to come in and take on Kitchens as
OC, again if no other team poached him. The team is all in on Mayfield and keeping with an offense Mayfield is comfortable in is what’s best for Mayfield. If Mayfield flops, this is a bad hire. If this helps Mayfield develop into a top ten QB, it’s a good hire.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm

I don't think it's a bad move, but I think teams are going to realize that every decent OC isn't necessarily a good HC.

Cleveland19
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Cleveland19 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:05 pm

He clearly has a good relationship with Baker which is huge. Obviously needs to hire a good staff but I’d take a risk with a young offensive minded guy than an old retread.

Browns actually looked like a real offense with him. This will be huge for Baker and Chubb and the offense. Probably less for Landry since he spread the ball around much more

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm I don't think it's a bad move, but I think teams are going to realize that every decent OC isn't necessarily a good HC.
I pretty much agree with this.

I feel it is the combination of

(a) much inexperience of Kitchens

(b) Many OCs & DCs cannot transition successfully - either at first or at all - to Head Coach

(c) Cleveland is a situation where the pressure / overexpectations may be overwhelming for a first time hire.

and that could completely backfire and where if Kitchens fails then the "I told you so" are going to be resounding and really hurt the organizational morale.

Arizona going with Wilks, was a bit of a maverick move & risky, but they were sort of forced into it by Arians retirement, and they can get out of it pretty ok, due to the past success. Cleveland on the other hand has had no success any time recently, and if this hire fails - much like swings & misses with Mangini & Shurmer did - may simply just set them back once again.

There is much much more to coaching a team, than just nurturing a young QB - even if that is an important part. Hopefully the learning curve for Kitchens will be fast.

In the end this move may very well benefit Kitchens much better than it could Cleveland, because he'll gain valuable experience that he can use down the road for a better HC role much like it did for the previously mentioned Shurmer. But whether or not he'll be successful with Cleveland and get them to the playoffs - we shall see & hope.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:26 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm I don't think it's a bad move, but I think teams are going to realize that every decent OC isn't necessarily a good HC.
(b) Many OCs & DCs cannot transition successfully - either at first or at all - to Head Coach
So, where do head coaches come from I wonder?...
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

skip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:26 pm
Some from 2nd chances (Belichick), or 3rd chances (Carroll) obviously. Some from other paths - ie learn from past great coaches - like Andy Reid & John Harbaugh.

The point is not that Kitchens cannot succeed or will not succeed as a HC - just that he may not succeed until further down the road (if he gets more than 1 shot).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Some from 2nd chances (Belichick), or 3rd chances (Carroll) obviously. Some from other paths - ie learn from past great coaches - like Andy Reid & John Harbaugh.

The point is not that Kitchens cannot succeed or will not succeed as a HC - just that he may not succeed until further down the road (if he gets more than 1 shot).
Well, at this point I'd rather take the gamble. It's bad enough that coming off a promising 7-8-1 season that there is this much coaching turnover as it is, at least he provides one component of stability. As to retreads... No thanks. Been there, done that many times. I have no interest in going back to winning only a game or two, if lucky, with a shitty former head coach.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:28 am

skip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm
ArrylT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Well, at this point I'd rather take the gamble. It's bad enough that coming off a promising 7-8-1 season that there is this much coaching turnover as it is, at least he provides one component of stability. As to retreads... No thanks. Been there, done that many times. I have no interest in going back to winning only a game or two, if lucky, with a shitty former head coach.
I can't stand the amount of recycling the NFL does with coaches, 100% happy with the Browns taking the chance, just like with drafting Baker. It shows the fans they aren't prepared to settle for "safe but known low ceiling" and I think the fans will respond positively.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 am

I agree with a lot of what is being said here, this could definitely backfire. However, if there's one guy I would give some benefit of the doubt to right now - it's John Dorsey. He has turned around Cleveland (!!) by crushing the draft AND winning the power struggles, and he is definitely no fool... it's possible they think they've found gold with Kitchens, and Baker was clearly lobbying for him hard.

If Dorsey thinks Kitchens can do a better job than the laundry list of names they just went through... then they must really have some faith in this guy.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 am

It's a solid move. There weren't many other options and they are going with their next man up. Lots of hype for Kitchens and Baker but what really are their expectations? If all of a sudden they are expected to make the playoffs, that's setting yourself up for failure. Im not saying it won't happen as I really like the direction of this team. But missing the playoffs for a coaches first or even second year, when the team has been the dumpster for the last several years, isn't a failure.

I hope they do well and if they go back to Hue winning % it will be time to move on again. Im just saying you can't expect Kitchens to have immediate success. I think that's a stretch

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:04 am

I like it for the Browns. It is not like any surefire candidates were available. All new head coaches have risk, even when the Rams signed McVay.

It's true no one was trying to hire him as HC this year but another year of offensive success and he is gone next offseason.

Continuity is the best thing for a young QB and their development.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 am

Don’t hate the hire, he probably deserved the shot after showing well as interm. The “Browns” move was losing G Williams. They should have found a way to retain him as DC. They were much improved on that side of the ball as well, something usually overlooked as most want to point at Baker and the O.