Browns being Browns again? Or bold genius move? Kitchens

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Browns being Browns again? Or bold genius move? Kitchens

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Year in review- Fire Hue Jackson, everyone expects Todd Haley to be promoted but he gets fired too. Gregg Williams appointed HC and Freddie Kitchens the interim OC. Win a few games and Browns are looking at least OK and with rising young stars.

Your head coaching position is one of the most sought after it seems, and you give the reigns to the interim OC who hasn't really done much other than maybe have a spark with Baker Mayfield. You let your interim HC and DC Gregg Jackson walk.

I mean, is this a genius bold move for getting a guy who may have chemistry with Baker Mayfield and the offense? Or is it a classic Browns move of giving the role the internal guy when it appears there's better options out there?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Browns being Browns again? Or bold genius move? Kitchens

Postby heyfeefellskee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Good move.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 pm

I'd much rather promote a guy like Kitchens than the far too common practice of hiring former head coaches that were fired from other clubs.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 pm

saved by the silver medal fangio hire and the gold medal kingsbury hire
so the bro(w)nze medal of NFL stupidity! as a steeler fan I approve now if the bungals can lure that coaching luminary vance joseph tomlin can continue to be shielded from being the division's worst or 2nd worst coach !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm

I like it the offense seemed to start clicking under him, would've scored the 14th most points and been 5th in total yardage by extrapolating his stats to a full year. This to me is impressive considering having so many first or second year pieces on offense, I mean pretty much everyone except Duke and the OL just showed up in the past two years.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 pm

I don't know why they can't just keep Kitchens on as OC and hire a different head coach. It's not like other clubs were trying to pry him away as head coach or coordinator.

Overall it feels like a "Browns being Browns" move by preferring an in-house candidate. That doesn't mean it won't work out as you can't deny that he did well with that offense & Baker Mayfield.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

robbie80robbie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby robbie80robbie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 pm I don't know why they can't just keep Kitchens on as OC and hire a different head coach. It's not like other clubs were trying to pry him away as head coach or coordinator.

Overall it feels like a "Browns being Browns" move by preferring an in-house candidate. That doesn't mean it won't work out as you can't deny that he did well with that offense & Baker Mayfield.
There were teams that wanted to interview kitchens for OC jobs that I heard and the browns didn't give permission to them. They had no interest in letting him walk. If you watched the browns like I have..you would have saw the extreme improvement of the offense under kitchens. This would have continued next year if he was the coordinator and he would have been poached as a headcoach.

WIlliams did an excellent job and I liked him a lot. However he made some mistakes as a headcoach with timeouts and game management situations. The timeout during the denver game when we drew them offsides, the calling a time out to challenge a play against baltimore..these are all things a guy who has been in the league for that period of time should know..now let me tell you as a browns fan...he was also my guy i wanted.

Freddie will succeed as long as he has a solid staff around him. He is going to need someone on the defensive side of the ball who has some sort of head coaching experience to take away some of that pressure from him. If he has that I will bet that he will succeed.

As far as the browns being browns thing...we will see. I don't post that often so i'll dig this up in the future.
I have too many teams to list...

"i never worry about what people think..they don't do it often.."

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:13 pm

that offense was way better but in all fairness kate upton could have been the OC after huey got chopped and the team would have improved .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Kitchens was OC for the final 8 games of 2018. Other than that he has only ever been a positional coach in the NFL or college. The body of work for us to look at is really, really small. I'm hoping the Browns know what they are doing here, and that Kitches has the mental make-up of a head coach and leader. I would really like to see the Browns be a good team again.

Since the Browns' ownership hasn't changed, I am skeptical that their current choice will perform any better than their historical decisions did.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 pm Overall it feels like a "Browns being Browns" move by preferring an in-house candidate.
Historically Cleveland has always brought in their head coach from outside the organization. So how is a switch to an in house candidate a "Browns being Browns" move?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Bold, but good move

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Not a Browns fan or Baker owner, I don't own a single Brown but "Browns being Browns" is dead and buried. This team has a great future and will win it all with Baker. 2022 Champs. #plantmyflag

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm

I think its the 8 games as a coordinator zero head coaching experience is the browns being the browns part ! For all my bluster and hyperbole I do think showing retread gregg williams the door was the best part of today's events for the browns . The end of the ravens game showed exactly why he has no business ever being an HC again in the NFL . The browns at least dodged that bullet and hiring the unknown is far better than hiring the unqualified . Hell kitchens might be the next vince lombardi or the next bruce coslet either way not hiring gregg williams was a great move.
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Kitchens did a great job during his limited time as OC, but moves like this always make me hesitate. There's an enormous difference between OC and HC jobs. Obviously we should assumed that the Browns organization knows enough about Kitchens to think he's ready to handle the transition, but we've seen this go wrong many times before. Not all OCs are meant to be HCs.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Bakers belong with Kitchens, its a good hire. (im awful)