Josh McDaniels - terrible coach for fantasy and reality

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Josh McDaniels - terrible coach for fantasy and reality

Postby The Pyrate » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Denver used to be 6-0. But I've been calling for this guys head since they were 3-0.
  • He sent a very productive QB (Cutler) away (crying)
    Nearly ran off an all-pro stud WR (Marshall) trying to prove a point
    Sucked the life out of up-and-coming TE (Scheffler) and WR (Royal)
    Constantly messed with the backfield, so much that is was a 4-headed RBBC approach heading toward week 1
    Hampered the lone bright spot on the team (Defense) with terrible offensive play calling
    brought enough attitude and ego to float high above mile-high
and now, he is calling out the opposing team's LBers. How stupid do you have to be to walk by a group in warm-ups and say "We own you", get drubbed 32-3 and then claim "they started it" in the press conference.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post ... nfl,204267

This guy is the worst coach who hasn't gotten fired yet and he's out to F us all. Don't believe me? Check out these links to see what you were saying about him on this very web board:
http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/fo ... =mcdaniels

So now, 4 losses in a row. Who's with me? Let's call for Josh McDaniels head now! Is there any coach worse than he?

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Josh McDaniels - terrible coach for fantasy and reality

Postby Pilate » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:50 pm

The Pyrate wrote:Denver used to be 6-0. But I've been calling for this guys head since they were 3-0.
    Constantly messed with the backfield, so much that is was a 4-headed RBBC approach heading toward week 1
    Hampered the lone bright spot on the team (Defense) with terrible offensive play calling
and now, he is calling out the opposing team's LBers. How stupid do you have to be to walk by a group in warm-ups and say "We own you", get drubbed 32-3 and then claim "they started it" in the press conference.

This guy is the worst coach who hasn't gotten fired yet and he's out to F us all. Don't believe me? Check out these links to see what you were saying about him on this very web board:

So now, 4 losses in a row. Who's with me? Let's call for Josh McDaniels head now! Is there any coach worse than he?
Cutler is over rated in my opinion. He has done nothing in Chicago but throw great passes to the other team and overthrow wide open receivers. Orton has played much better then Cutler and McDaniels knew something we didn't.

Marshall is a knuckle head. His is one strike away from a very long suspension and Josh McDaniels is not to blame for that.

Scheffler and Royal are both very disappointing. But TE's are never featured in a Belichik system.

Moreno was injured going into the regular season and as much as I love Moreno, Buckhalter has played well.

There are several coaches worse then McDaniels....Mangini to start.

I'm no Josh McDaniels homer but disagree with most of your opinions.

----------------
Now playing: Bad Company - Dead Of The Night

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

I agree with most of what Pilate has posted here. Orton is a better fit for that offense. Instead of being a hotbed of fantasy production (though not too shabby), they can actually win football games instead of being mired at .500. I am not sure how anyone in Denver can be faulted for using a RBBC approach, that methodology was Shanahan's bread and butter since he traded away Portis. There are a lot of head coaches who are worse - several are in the same division.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:11 pm

Don't forget McDaniels also traded his 2010 1st round pick for Seattle's 2009 2nd-rounder and selected a 5'8" cornerback with a stellar 9 tackles on the season (and that's not because he's a shutdown corner, folks). Granted, he hasn't earned much playing time. I think the 1st rounder deal w/ Seattle, along w/ trading Cutler were huge gaffes.

We may not see it this year, but over time the 26-year old QB in his prime will probably have a better career than Orton, IMO.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:13 am

The Pyrate wrote:Denver used to be 6-0. But I've been calling for this guys head since they were 3-0.

I won't be happy until all the grotesque spawn of that robotic grand master cheat have failed miserably. They have crawled out from under that foul hoodie and infested the league.

By the way, did anyone catch Mangenius's face as he was walking over to shake hands after the loss on Sunday? It was priceless.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 am

Misfit74 wrote:Don't forget McDaniels also traded his 2010 1st round pick for Seattle's 2009 2nd-rounder and selected a 5'8" cornerback with a stellar 9 tackles on the season (and that's not because he's a shutdown corner, folks). Granted, he hasn't earned much playing time. I think the 1st rounder deal w/ Seattle, along w/ trading Cutler were huge gaffes.

We may not see it this year, but over time the 26-year old QB in his prime will probably have a better career than Orton, IMO.
Did they deal their first rounder or was it Chicago's first rounder from the Cutler deal? Either way they still have one left. In his defense, Smith was an extremely productive CB in college. Some CB's can pull it off without the height. I am not a McDaniels supporter in any way but I disagree with most of the original posters opinions as well. Nate is right on.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:17 am

Orca wrote:

I won't be happy until all the grotesque spawn of that robotic grand master cheat have failed miserably. They have crawled out from under that foul hoodie and infested the league.

By the way, did anyone catch Mangenius's face as he was walking over to shake hands after the loss on Sunday? It was priceless.
Belicheck is amazing and I don't think anyone can rationally argue the point. I agree that teams need to stop thinking that all of his coordinators/asst. coaches are also genius by default.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:59 am

McDaniels has come back to earth after a really hot start to the season, but still has a chance at making the playoffs this year, which is about all you can ask for from a rookie head coach with a lot of new players and system. Meanwhile Cutler has looked terrible with the Bears, and probably is starting to realize how good he had it in Denver before he decided to force his way out of there.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:36 pm

The Broncos are a pretty good team, but they were winning with "smoke and mirrors". They have come back to Earth with a crash.
That said, give the guy and the team a little credit. They could've folded from the get go. They played hard and above their heads. Now they have a few injuries. It was bound to happen.

Cutler has done zero this season and when Orton has been healthy, Marshall has returned to fantasy prominence. This season will be a learning experience for both McDaniels and the team.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Entropy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Entropy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 am

yumbo wrote:The Broncos are a pretty good team, but they were winning with "smoke and mirrors". They have come back to Earth with a crash.
That said, give the guy and the team a little credit. They could've folded from the get go. They played hard and above their heads. Now they have a few injuries. It was bound to happen.
I think McDaniels deserves full blame for mishandling Cutler and then Marshall. That might be an indicator that McDaniels lacks something in his ability to relate to stars. Still, I tend to blame Cutler worse than McDaniels.

I agreee with the notion that McDaniels deserves credit for taking a bad team and getting them to play crazy over their heads. Okay, maybe the competition could've been harder or whatever, but they went 6-0, and the way the offseason went down I expected the Broncos to be a train wreck this year. For now, call it a mixed record and wait and see.
--Entropy ===GO SKINS===
10-team .25PPR league 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1W/T, 1W/R, 1K, 1DEF, 11 BN, 1 IR
QB: Rodgers(Gb), Ryan(Atl)
RB: Martin(Tb), Lynch(Sea), Spiller(Buf), Miller (Mia), Ingram(NO), Hyde (SF)
WR: Cobb(Gb), Crabtree(Sf), Bowe (Kc), Hartline(Mia), Shorts(Jac), Gordon(Cle), Jeffery(Chi), Hunter(Ten), Quick(StL)
TE: Eifert(Cin), Kelce(KC), Fleener(Ind), Amaro(NyJ)
K: varies
DEF: Arizona

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Entropy wrote:
yumbo wrote:The Broncos are a pretty good team, but they were winning with "smoke and mirrors". They have come back to Earth with a crash.
I think McDaniels deserves full blame for mishandling Cutler and then Marshall. That might be an indicator that McDaniels lacks something in his ability to relate to stars. Still, I tend to blame Cutler worse than McDaniels.

I agreee with the notion that McDaniels deserves credit for taking a bad team and getting them to play crazy over their heads. Okay, maybe the competition could've been harder or whatever, but they went 6-0, and the way the offseason went down I expected the Broncos to be a train wreck this year. For now, call it a mixed record and wait and see.
I think that McDaniels was just trying to put into place , his system that he was taught in New England under Belichick. That's what you do. If you learn to work a certain way, and you get a new job, you bring to your new employer what you know and what you learned, which is probably why you got the new job in the first place. whether it's right or wrong, it's different from the way Denver ran things prior, and some people are resistant to change.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:24 pm

yumbo wrote:
Entropy wrote:

I think that McDaniels was just trying to put into place , his system that he was taught in New England under Belichick. That's what you do. If you learn to work a certain way, and you get a new job, you bring to your new employer what you know and what you learned, which is probably why you got the new job in the first place. whether it's right or wrong, it's different from the way Denver ran things prior, and some people are resistant to change.
I could be wrong but I think what Enthropy is getting is McDaniels didn't show the ability to adapt to the situation around him. It seemed like the whole off-season he was trying to fit a square peg in a round whole. IMO this has continued a bit with the incredible misuse of Eddie Royal. They were playing above their heads and what he shows in the next year or so will really show what he is made of. I agree with the sentiment that the NFL needs to stop looking at Belicheck's assistants as automatic geniuses.....

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm

hosler427 wrote:
yumbo wrote:
Entropy wrote: I think McDaniels deserves full blame for mishandling Cutler and then Marshall. That might be an indicator that McDaniels lacks something in his ability to relate to stars. Still, I tend to blame Cutler worse than McDaniels.

I could be wrong but I think what Enthropy is getting is McDaniels didn't show the ability to adapt to the situation around him. It seemed like the whole off-season he was trying to fit a square peg in a round whole. IMO this has continued a bit with the incredible misuse of Eddie Royal. They were playing above their heads and what he shows in the next year or so will really show what he is made of. I agree with the sentiment that the NFL needs to stop looking at Belicheck's assistants as automatic geniuses.....

Do you think that Belichick was a genius right off the bat??? His first head coaching job in Cleveland with the "Old" Browns team, he was hated and vilified by everyone.... fans and media alike and still is!. He went in there and made tough decisions too, like when he benched local legend Bernie Kosar. He, as you so aptly cited Dan, tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. He did OK (made the playoffs and beat the Parcells/Bledsoe Patriots), bit if you listen to
anyone from Cleveland.. he was a complete failure.

I'm not disagreeing that that we shouldn't think of Belichick's assistants be genius's by default, they have to grow into the job and coach the way they know how. That was my point to Entropy. That McDaniels brought what he learned in New England to Denver. It wasn't the smoothest transition I will agree, but it's like any new coach, they want their system and their players to implement their system.

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:12 pm

hosler427 wrote:I could be wrong but I think what Enthropy is getting is McDaniels didn't show the ability to adapt to the situation around him. It seemed like the whole off-season he was trying to fit a square peg in a round whole. IMO this has continued a bit with the incredible misuse of Eddie Royal.
Three very good points. All signs of immaturity as a coach. You have to take the best of the stuff you know into a new job, but you also have to be smart enough to adapt to the situation around you. This is the biggest difference between Mangini's situation in Cleaveland and McDaniels in Denver. Mangini didn't have the talent level to pull anything off. McDaniels did, and instead of adapting to the talent, he tried to force it to fit his situation or bury it.

Biggest issue for me has been the trash talking incident. Head coaches shouldn't be engaging in that behaviour. Period.

Great article online: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Mangini claimed that it (coaches trash talking) just didn't happen at New England. So this is all McDaniels, not a learned Belicheck behaviour.

Denver is obviously learning from McDaniels behaviour though...there was a shoving match between Marshall and Moreno at the end of last weeks game with San Diego.

Jeff Fisher had the best quote in the article. "Good luck in free agency."

McDaniels will have a recruiting problem if he keeps these actions up. And that's why he is bad news in Denver, and the worst coach in the league.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:20 pm

The Pyrate wrote:
hosler427 wrote:I could be wrong but I think what Enthropy is getting is McDaniels didn't show the ability to adapt to the situation around him. It seemed like the whole off-season he was trying to fit a square peg in a round whole. IMO this has continued a bit with the incredible misuse of Eddie Royal.
Three very good points. All signs of immaturity as a coach. You have to take the best of the stuff you know into a new job, but you also have to be smart enough to adapt to the situation around you. This is the biggest difference between Mangini's situation in Cleaveland and McDaniels in Denver. Mangini didn't have the talent level to pull anything off. McDaniels did, and instead of adapting to the talent, he tried to force it to fit his situation or bury it.

Biggest issue for me has been the trash talking incident. Head coaches shouldn't be engaging in that behaviour. Period.

Great article online: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Mangini claimed that it (coaches trash talking) just didn't happen at New England. So this is all McDaniels, not a learned Belicheck behaviour.

Denver is obviously learning from McDaniels behaviour though...there was a shoving match between Marshall and Moreno at the end of last weeks game with San Diego.

Jeff Fisher had the best quote in the article. "Good luck in free agency."

McDaniels will have a recruiting problem if he keeps these actions up. And that's why he is bad news in Denver, and the worst coach in the league.
I agree, very immature on his part.