Team Evaluation Help- New to IDP

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
hingle
Captain
Captain

Team Evaluation Help- New to IDP

Postby hingle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:48 am

I completed a start up a few months ago which was also my first venture into IDP. I am generally very active in my leagues but this one I have struggled to evaluate my team and players and I think it is due to the defensive players. I want to send out some offers but I was hoping I could get some help on what my perceived weaknesses are. I think I did good at WR, having BMarsh as your WR4 cant be a bad thing. My QB and TE are average but should get the job done. Which leaves my RB's or defensive players, where should I focus?

League Details: Start QB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/2DB/2DL/2LB/2FLEX(DB/DL/LB)
12 Team PPR League.

QB-BigBen, Bradford
RB-Hill, Ingram, JStew, A.Wiiliams, Gray, K.Robinson, Gaffney, Archer, Taliaferro
WR-AJG, DT, Allen, Marshall, Fitz, Douglas, Hurns, Bailey, Aiken, Wilson, Campanaro, Toon, Ellington, Huff, Janis
TE-Bennett, Witten, Escobar
DB-J. Cyprien, T. Gipson, B. Breeland
DL-M. Wilkerson, C. Jones
LB-M. Kendricks, P. Posluszny, J. Jenkins, C. Matthews, P. Brown, J. Allen

Defensive Scoring:
3 points for every 4 Assisted Tackles (0.75 per)
3 points for every 2 Solo Tackles (1.5 per)
1 point for every 2 Tackles for Loss (0.5 per)
2 points for every Interception
3 points for every Sack
3 points for every Fumble Forced
3 points for every Fumble Recovered

My thought is I would like to move some depth and try to pick up a stud RB, so maybe Allen + Ingram for somebody.

Thoughts?
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T)
QB: Jackson, Mayfield, Pickett
RB: Barkley, Taylor, N. Harris, L. Murray, Scott
WR: Jefferson, K.Allen, Higgins, Diggs, Chark, Atwell
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Mayer(R) Tremble
2024 Picks: 1.05, 3.05, 4.05/4.09

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Re: Team Evaluation Help- New to IDP

Postby TheChicken » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Bennett/Witten should give you more than the average production at TE and Big Ben is solid (and Bradford has potential) so don't be concerned about those positions.

Hill and Ingram will find no love in a PPR league. It is unjustified in my opinion, but I doubt you will get decent value for them and I would hold both (they will provide you with a decent floor).

I'd stand pat with your offense it seems solid enough and trading after a start up can be difficult/expensive. Most players pick players they like &/or think are undervalued and as such trying to trade for them so soon after a start up and before any meaningful action has occurred means you may have to overpay to acquire anyone decent.

The IDP scoring is relatively generous so it is not something you should sleep on ... which you are kind of doing by having only 11 players for 8 starters. You have 29 offensive players for 8 starters!!

Jones & Wilkerson are decent starters, but you must get some depth. Tackle points are high and some NTs can get decent tackle numbers and are often ignored.

Your LB core is okay but when looking at players I would focus on tackle numbers and tackle opportunities, the Justin Houston's of this world are rare beasts. Posluzny will be great if he returns to fitness, if not you need to keep you eyes peeled for a tackle monster on the WW ... J Jenkins was a bit of a flash in the pan imo.

DBs look weak (Cyprian should be a decent starter though), but there is a lot of turnover at this position so keep your eyes peeled on the WW and again focus on DBs that stay in the box and defend the run.

IDP players can come out of nowhere and put up starter numbers, so keep an eye on the WW and churn the end of your IDP roster. Don't be afraid to pick up and drop players every week and be confident picking up the flavour of the month and benching marginal 'name' starters for scrubs you have never heard of. IDP scoring does not always benefit the best players, but the players that are targeted by the offense (so generally the worse players) ... Revis for example is one of the worst IDP players of all time because QBs just do not throw his way.
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

invisibulman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby invisibulman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Pretty much agree with TheChicken. Going to be hard to trade immediately after a startup, but I like your offense. You need LBs. This is a tackle heavy IDP format with relatively few points given for sacks. You need ILBs who are going to volume tackle. I don't especially like C. Matthews for this reason. Poz is great if he plays, but is on his last legs.

I might take a flier on JT Thomas if no one has him. I like Preston Brown as a sleeper, so hold on to him.
If you can prise someone like CJ Mosely away from his owner, I would offload Hurns + a LB to get him.
Team 1
10 Team, .5 PPR, 2QB, 3RB, 4WR, 2TE, 3DL, 4LB, 4DB,

2QB: Stafford, Carr, Mishew, Bridgewater, Herbert
3RB: Taylor, Ekeler, K. Johnson, Mack, AJ Dillon
4WR: Cooper, Ridley, T. Hill, Slayton, Pittman, Westbrook
2TE: Ertz, Gesicki, Hurst, Everett

hingle
Captain
Captain

Postby hingle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:06 pm

My rational on the defensive side was going to be playing the WW. I have been looking at trying to land a guy like Mosley but I wasn't sure what sort of offer made sense. Also Matthews was a bit of a homer pick. Is Hurts + Matthews going to get the interest of the Mosley owner do you think?
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T)
QB: Jackson, Mayfield, Pickett
RB: Barkley, Taylor, N. Harris, L. Murray, Scott
WR: Jefferson, K.Allen, Higgins, Diggs, Chark, Atwell
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Mayer(R) Tremble
2024 Picks: 1.05, 3.05, 4.05/4.09

Whatevs6
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Whatevs6 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:34 pm

hingle wrote:My rational on the defensive side was going to be playing the WW. I have been looking at trying to land a guy like Mosley but I wasn't sure what sort of offer made sense. Also Matthews was a bit of a homer pick. Is Hurts + Matthews going to get the interest of the Mosley owner do you think?
It wouldn't get my attention, but I'm not high on Hurns..

As for Matthews being a homer pick, you should drop him for Sam Barrington.
12 Team Dynasty .5 PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 IDP

QB: D. Prescott, D. Carr
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Ekeler, I. Pacheco, J. Cook, J. Warren, G. Edwards, K. Miller,
WR: M. Evans, D. Adams, C. Olave, A. Cooper, G. Pickens, J. Reed, D. Douglas, D. Mooney, R. Bateman, R. Moore, D. Peoples-Jones
TE: S. LaPorta, D. Waller, J. Johnson
IDP: F. Oluokun, B. Wagner, T. Edwards, K. White
K:
DEF: