So exactly how bad is Jamarcus Russel?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
spike
Rookie
Rookie

Postby spike » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:47 pm

BradyT wrote:One "simple" question: does this mean JaMarcus Russell is done? I mean really done? I know people can turn around to the good.. but can it be sayed its not happening with J.Russell?

opinions..?
he's done. had several horrible games and he thought he did a great job. he's a moron.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 am

If he is still in the league in two years I will be shocked

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:38 am

thevidon2 wrote:If he is still in the league in two years I will be shocked
I would say that's a little harsh. The thing to remember about this guy is hes fat, lazy and plays for the raiders. Those are three big reasons why hes sucked so much. I don't know him, but I think its possible that he takes this (and the ensuing release) as a wake up call. If he gets his bleep in shape and joins a team with a real coaching staff and system he might have a chance. He is so rediculously young still.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:46 am

BubbaBurst wrote:
I would say that's a little harsh. The thing to remember about this guy is hes fat, lazy and plays for the raiders. Those are three big reasons why hes sucked so much. I don't know him, but I think its possible that he takes this (and the ensuing release) as a wake up call. If he gets his bleep in shape and joins a team with a real coaching staff and system he might have a chance. He is so rediculously young still.
Young yes but the thing that gets me beyond the fat and lazy is he didn't realize why he was benched. If he expects a future starting job to be handed to him and to keep that job without questions despite horrific performances, he is too stupid to succeed.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:53 am

hosler427 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:
Young yes but the thing that gets me beyond the fat and lazy is he didn't realize why he was benched. If he expects a future starting job to be handed to him and to keep that job without questions despite horrific performances, he is too stupid to succeed.
Very true. But the guy has never ever faced adversity on the football field. Hes probobly been told hes a god for his entire football playing life. His character is about to be tested. Will he take it as an insult and do what is necessary to succeed or will he say everyone else is wrong, in which case we can say bye bye to the JaMarcus era.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

Russel is fat, lazy and stupid. He has zero QB instincts and is quite possibly the worst team player I have ever seen. Feel free to quote this post if he ever proves me wrong.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:53 am

thevidon2 wrote:Russel is fat, lazy and stupid. He has zero QB instincts and is quite possibly the worst team player I have ever seen. Feel free to quote this post if he ever proves me wrong.
Do you know him personally? Or have some other reason to write him off so strongly? Because hes been terrible this year. But his stats at LSU were pretty impressive (and yes, i know theres a difference in college to the NFL but saying he has no instincts and is the worst team player? He won a title in LSU didnt he?).:

2005 188/311 2443yds 15-9 136.56
2006 232/342 3129yds 28-8 167.03

And last year in Oakland he was actually pretty solid for basically a rookie QB:

198/368 2,423yds 13-8

The Oakland system is awful, the talent level is awful, the coaching is awful. He showed up to camp fat and didnt work hard. That is pretty clear. But he clearly has some talent and at one point played QB pretty darned well. He's been absolutely awful this season, no doubt about it. But saying a 24 yr old QB with 25 starts on his record will never be seen ago is rediculous. Someone will make an attempt at turning him around. Rarely does that work. But the guy deserves a second chance.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 am

I think he has skills and just hasn't been given the coaching and the tools to succeed. (e.g. talented players surrounding him and an evironment that isn't a cancer like it is in Oakland)

The one thing that has really bothered me about Russell this season though is his post game comments where he repeatedly says that "I don't think it's me personally" and "I think I played well." It's like, hey jackass! You just went 6 for 11 for 61 yards with 2 interceptions and a sack and a lost fumble in not even one half of play. And you think you played well?

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:50 am

the_lung wrote:I think he has skills and just hasn't been given the coaching and the tools to succeed. (e.g. talented players surrounding him and an evironment that isn't a cancer like it is in Oakland)

The one thing that has really bothered me about Russell this season though is his post game comments where he repeatedly says that "I don't think it's me personally" and "I think I played well." It's like, hey jackass! You just went 6 for 11 for 61 yards with 2 interceptions and a sack and a lost fumble in not even one half of play. And you think you played well?
This all goes to him not being a team player and I totally agree.

As to my comment on his intelligence - just go listen to any interview and it tells you what you need to know.

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:04 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
the_lung wrote:
I think he has skills and just hasn't been given the coaching and the tools to succeed. (e.g. talented players surrounding him and an evironment that isn't a cancer like it is in Oakland)

This all goes to him not being a team player and I totally agree.

As to my comment on his intelligence - just go listen to any interview and it tells you what you need to know.
What was his score on the wonderlic test? Wasn't there a bunch of contreversy at the combine regarding this and his ability to be a "smart" NFL player?

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Jamarcus Russel is sooooooooo baaaaaadddd that he is actually now being used as an adjective to describe other players.
Rotoworld 11/19 wrote:Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he won't change his game plan if Chris Simms is forced into action Sunday.

McDaniels won't even shift left tackle Ryan Clady over to the right side to protect Simms' blind side. We're still expecting Kyle Orton (foot) to start, but if Simms plays he's not a fantasy option. He looked JaMarcus Russell-esque in relief of Orton last week.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm

The Pyrate wrote:Jamarcus Russel is sooooooooo baaaaaadddd that he is actually now being used as an adjective to describe other players.
Rotoworld 11/19 wrote:Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he won't change his game plan if Chris Simms is forced into action Sunday.

McDaniels won't even shift left tackle Ryan Clady over to the right side to protect Simms' blind side. We're still expecting Kyle Orton (foot) to start, but if Simms plays he's not a fantasy option. He looked JaMarcus Russell-esque in relief of Orton last week.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:57 pm

I don't think that there is NO chance of him starting again. But, some things in his head have to change. He's been able to get by on talent for so long that I don't think he ever learned to work for anything. That is hurting him. Perhaps one day he'll turn that around. But, chances are pretty good that he'll never learn.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Gotta hope he has a quasi-Vince Young offseason or two before we can expect anything.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:54 am

Other than arm strength, can anyone give me a single other trait he possesses that you look for in starting QB's?